Peter King's Annual Mock Draft: Miami trades up for Herbert. Pats trade up for Tua.

So the Chargers are gonna pass on Tua because of Tyrod Taylor and the Patriots are gonna trade up to 13 without a 2nd rounder this year.  Fanboys of 1 team shouldn’t do mock drafts.  That’s like a Bills fan doing a mock where Lamb or Jeudy falls to the late 1st and Beane magically trades up from 54.  

39 minutes ago, Rico said:

I didn't know Tua was a 13 on the Wonderlic. :lol:

Tbf, we don't actually know what he got. There's been three different reported numbers for him. 13, 19, and 24. All are less than ideal but 24 is basically an average score.

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Tbf, we don't actually know what he got. There's been three different reported numbers for him. 13, 19, and 24. All are less than ideal but 24 is basically an average score.

We do know what he got. He got a 13 the first time he took but got a 19 later. Herbert went from 25 to 39. 

32 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Lamar Jackson also got a 13 fwiw

Also, Jim Kelly got a 15 and famously did pretty OK with the mental aspect of quarterbacking. Dan Marino got a 16. Tyrod got a 15 and one could argue its his improvisational acumen on the field which has allowed him to occasionally start in the NFL in spite of lesser talent.

In this group, Jerry Jeudy got a 9, and while I know it's not as important for WRs, his college tape immediately impressed me as one of the smarter route runners.  

Edited by thurst44

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

Also, Jim Kelly got a 15 and famously did pretty OK with the mental part of playcalling. Dan Marino got a 16. Tyrod got a 15 and one could argue its his improvisational acumen on the field which has allowed him to occasionally start in the NFL in spite of lesser talent.

In this group, Jerry Jeudy got a 9, and while I know it's not as important for WRs, his college tape immediately impressed me as one of the smarter route runners.  

Well, absolutely no doubt it is better to be football-smart than smart-smart... but I will still laugh at any player that gets a 13. :lol:

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

Also, Jim Kelly got a 15 and famously did pretty OK with the mental aspect of quarterbacking. Dan Marino got a 16. Tyrod got a 15 and one could argue its his improvisational acumen on the field which has allowed him to occasionally start in the NFL in spite of lesser talent.

I think they use it to try and gauge processing speed for QBs?  It's not super effective.  LJ is probably the first modern era QB to have real success though while having a very low score.

Tua also apparently was not very good on the white board though - so I think that may be more concerning than anything else.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So the Chargers are gonna pass on Tua because of Tyrod Taylor and the Patriots are gonna trade up to 13 without a 2nd rounder this year.  Fanboys of 1 team shouldn’t do mock drafts.  That’s like a Bills fan doing a mock where Lamb or Jeudy falls to the late 1st and Beane magically trades up from 54.  

Yes!  Exactly.  Amazing how some how some superstar "falls" to the Pat*s in every one of PK's mocks.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Tua slides that far, yes I could see it. But Tua won't slide that far.

If Miami out of fear over Tua's health status takes Herbert they will be making the same blunder that they did when they didn't take Brees because they worried about his health status. Brees revived the New Orleans franchise and has had a HOF career while the Dolphins have floundered for a generation with a multitude of mediocre qbs. 

Herbert has the prototypical football body. Tua is immensely the better football player. My prediction is that Miami will stay at the five spot and select Tua. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Miami out of fear over Tua's health status takes Herbert they will be making the same blunder that they did when they didn't take Brees because they worried about his health status. Brees revived the New Orleans franchise and has had a HOF career while the Dolphins have floundered for a generation with a multitude of mediocre qbs. 

Herbert has the prototypical football body. Tua is immensely the better football player. My prediction is that Miami will stay at the five spot and select Tua. 

Great take, John.

btw, I am not making comparison’s between the players, but I happen to remember when an Oklahoma St RB fell all the way to the second round in the ‘88 draft because teams were worried about his injuries.  The team that took him took him with their first pick in the draft...thankfully that worked out well for both.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1