Peter King's Annual Mock Draft: Miami trades up for Herbert. Pats trade up for Tua.

Interesting mock having Dolphins trading up to #3 for Herbert and Tua slipping all the way to #13 with the Pats trading up to get him.  I wouldn't be thrilled with the Pats getting Tua.  Jets take OT Becton.

3. Miami (trade with Detroit)—Justin Herbert, quarterback, Oregon

It’s funny. Whether Miami makes the trade or not, I think Miami and Detroit will make the same picks. I do think, for the peace of mind and to prevent anyone from leapfrogging them, the Dolphins would be smart to deal the 39th overall pick to Detroit to move up two slots here. Anyway, I don’t know if Herbert’s going to be Miami’s pick. My pick is based on Miami choosing to go conservative here instead of trying to hit a triple in the gap by picking Tua Tagovailoa. Because the Dolphins have done a good job hiding their intentions, I won’t be shocked either way—if they go the risky way with Tua, or if they repeat 2006 and make the safe call with Herbert. Daunte Culpepper, 2006; Herbert, 2020. And they’ll hope it’s a better result this time. My theory is that Tagovailoa would have been the pick had he not dislocated his hip last November. But if it is Herbert, he’ll get to sit behind a pro’s pro, Ryan Fitzpatrick, for a year or most of a year, and be in position to take over in a more normal 2021 season.

13. New England (trade with San Francisco)—Tua Tagovailoa, quarterback, Alabama 

So Tagovailoa could drop, and Bill Belichick really doesn’t want to take a quarterback now, with one draft pick in the top 85 this year and needs all over his roster. And truly: I have no indication, no inside information, that says he’d do this. It’s simply a guess. But think if you’re Belichick. Because your team never finishes 3-13, you never have a chance to get one of the best quarterbacks in the college game. Until Tagovailoa’s hip popped out of the socket last November, forcing immediate and urgent surgery, he was 1/1A with the transcendent Joe Burrow to be the first pick in this draft. And you don’t want to pillage the lone first or lone second-round pick from next year’s draft. But do you do it for a great but pockmarked talent such as Tagovailoa five months after major hip surgery? I do know Belichick would have confidence in his player-procurement skills.

I also don’t know what the New England orthopods will say about him. I do know one respected team doctor for an NFL team who gave Tagovailoa the once-over at the combine, and I asked him what he thought about Tagovailoa’s propensity for injury while at Alabama—a broken hand, two high-ankle sprains, and a hip dislocation most recently. This is what this doctor—whose team is not in the market for a first-round quarterback—told me Thursday:

“These contact injuries are part of the game. You ask yourself, ‘Is this guy injury-prone, or does he have a bullseye on him because he’s a crucial player on his team?’ I’ve seen a few of the hip dislocations in football, and my experience is that if you lose blood supply to the hip for a long-enough period of time, you’re in trouble. I don’t think that was the case here. As I see it, the effects of the dislocation might show up when he’s 35, but not when he’s 25.”

Cautiously optimistic then. Tough call for a franchise, but when would the Patriots ever get a shot at a potential superstar quarterback? Even if they had to throw in next year’s first-rounder, I think this would be a risk worth taking for the Patriots.

Edited by Doc Brown

14 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Would have to be this year's 1 and 2 and next year's 1 at a MINIMUM. Probably more than that.

They don’t have a 2 this year, used it to get Sanu(haha). But I agree would take their first this year and next and they have 3 late thirds this year for trade capital. All five picks would probably get them in the 6-8 pick range

23 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Is there any chance he gets past the Chargers? They don't need him to start right away, which relieves the injury stress a bit. 

I don't think so. I think the likelihood is three QBs in the first 6 picks. If there is one to slide I still despite all the smoke say it is Herbert. If the Pats want to trade up for him with next year's 1st I'd say be my guest.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Tua slides that far, yes I could see it. But Tua won't slide that far.

I don't get it.  Bum hips and 13 on the Wonderlic.  Thank God we don't need a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

SMH @ these national pundits

1. There will be a lot more trades. 49ers, colts, bucs, seahawks, vikes also likely involved in trades.

2. Miami now unsure about Herbert. still possible they go Tua.

3. No way Herbert / Tua slip past #7.

4. Becton not going to Jets at 11. If Wills / Thomas / Wirfs are gone, Jets will go WR. Rookie GM will never pick a guy who has been flagged.

5. No way Minny goes Diggs. C’mon.

6. Jordan Love will go first round.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

SMH @ these national pundits

1. There will be a lot more trades. 49ers, colts, bucs, seahawks, vikes also likely involved in trades.

2. Miami now unsure about Herbert. still possible they go Tua.

3. No way Herbert / Tua slip past #7.

4. Becton not going to Jets at 11. If Wills / Thomas / Wirfs are gone, Jets will go WR. Rookie GM will never pick a guy who has been flagged.

5. No way Minny goes Diggs. C’mon.

6. Jordan Love will go first 

4 is interesting. Not thought about that but you might be right. If he slides Miami takes him at #18 I am sure. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't get it.  Bum hips and 13 on the Wonderlic.  Thank God we don't need a QB.

My son plays DE at Georgia Southern.  Has two more years of eligibility after a bad knee injury last season in the LSU game.  He has rehabbed very well after surgery.  And will be good to go for this season.  (one thing I have learned is who does your surgery makes ALL the difference in the world.  I know many orthos in the Atlanta area, and I got him with one who was much better then the team Ortho)  Hopefully he balls out for two years and can be at least a mid round draft pick.  

I apologize for the digression.  My point is that my son staying w me while school is shut down took a wonderlic on Saturday for the heck of it.  He got a 45.  Don't know how long it took him.  But he said it was easy as can be.  He is smart but not a genius.  (Had not much idea how to do his accounting work on line last nite)  Makes me wonder how anyone can get a 13.  That is poor.  If Burrow got a 34 and Stanley got a 40, wth is Tua doing?  Just something to think about.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

My son plays DE at Georgia Southern.  Has two more years of eligibility after a bad knee injury last season in the LSU game.  He has rehabbed very well after surgery.  And will be good to go for this season.  (one thing I have learned is who does your surgery makes ALL the difference in the world.  I know many orthos in the Atlanta area, and I got him with one who was much better then the team Ortho)  Hopefully he balls out for two years and can be at least a mid round draft pick.  

I apologize for the digression.  My point is that my son staying w me while school is shut down took a wonderlic on Saturday for the heck of it.  He got a 45.  Don't know how long it took him.  But he said it was easy as can be.  He is smart but not a genius.  (Had not much idea how to do his accounting work on line last nite)  Makes me wonder how anyone can get a 13.  That is poor.  If Burrow got a 34 and Stanley got a 40, wth is Tua doing?  Just something to think about.  

Lamar Jackson also got a 13 fwiw

• Like (+1) 1