Who was the Bills best and worst draft pick of this century to this point?

Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s the best pick in team history.  The topic is WORST picks, and there is no way he belongs on that list.  Hell, the three players taken ahead of him were Clowney, Bortles, and Greg Robinson.  You can make a case that Watkins was the best value of the group.  Seven years in, he’s a starter for the Super Bowl champs.  If you can’t find a worse draft pick by the Bills than that, you aren’t looking.

Except for he was brought in to be the #1 WR for the Bills. He lasted 3 seasons, missed 23% of the games played. 

Kahlil Mack, from UB, has been an All-Pro, taken 5th overall, and we know the rest of the WR story, Mosely, Donald, Barr, Lewan, Shazier, Martin, Fuller. 1/2 the First Round made the Pro Bowl. The Bills had the 4th overall pick and couldn't find a Pro Bowler in an absolutely stacked draft.   

Does he have the talent to play at the NFL level - yes. Is he remotely close to what he was billed as? No. 

He is a rotational WR and helped Buffalo for all of 37 games. 

Horrendous pick. 

Oh and the entire reason he was picked was to help EJ as the top flight weapon. That experiment lasted all of 4 games before Marrone switched to Orton, so even the plan was a failure on top of Watkins failure. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

Looks to me like his production is closest to Allen Robinson who is the #1 WR for the Bears right now.

Lucky for us, Math gives us the answer to this so it's not an opinion. 

Watkins vs Robinson

-1.2 catches/game, - 10.2 ypg, -0.05 TDs/game

Watkins vs Benjamin

+0.3 catches/game, +6.3 ypg, +0.08 TDs/game 

He's closer to Benjamin, with Sean McVay and two years of Pat Mahomes ...  

• Like (+1) 1

Aaron Maybin. Horrible. Absolutely chosen due to his combine numbers. Completely undersized, average tape. Bulked up for the combine and lost it by July. The other bad picks, like Losman, etc I can see why they made those picks. Maybin there was zero reason why.

Edited by Rampage

I'm gonna go with mid-late rounders for most value generated at those slots: Aaron Schoebel, Stevie Johnson, and of course "Bowling Ball with Butchers Knives" 5th rounder Kyle Williams. Sustained excellence and leadership. I think I'll make him my top pick.

Mike Williams is the absolutely biggest bust. Erik "Who?" Flowers, Aaron Maybin (cool guy post-NFL, though), and John McCargo for both being legendarily bad first round speed rushers that never looked like they could make it in the NFL to start. And didn't. 

Edited by wettlaufer
Forgot one player

I am sticking with first round picks, as it is just kind of absurd to rank all rounds against eachother...how many guys drafted since 2000 never made the team...or any any NFL team for that matter?

Best: Tre'Davious White.

Worst: All you saying Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, EJ Manuel, JP Losman  or even Mike Williams are way off. 

The worst 1st round pick of this century was John McCargo.  Marv (the worst GM the Bills have had in the last 30 years, by a longshot) traded up to get him, and he contributed absolutely nothing, in any game (save for a fumble recovery on a special teams play) to the Bills..or any other NFL team for that matter.  He is was such a terrible pick, I would bet many here don't even remember him.

PS- I love Marv Levy, the coach, but not as GM. My assessment of him as GM not only includes his terrible drafts, but hiring (and sticking us with) Dick Jauron, my least favorite Bills coach in my lifetime (me and the Bills go back to about 1972) when we already knew he wasn't a great head coach.  That said, I will give him credit for the Kyle Williams pick.

Edited by Buftex

20 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I am sticking with first round picks, as it is just kind of absurd to rank all rounds against eachother...how many guys drafted since 2000 never made the team...or any any NFL team for that matter?

Worst: All you saying Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, EJ Manuel, JP Losman  or even Mike Williams are way off. 

The worst 1st round pick of this century was John McCargo.  Marv (the worst GM the Bills have had in the last 30 years, by a longshot) traded up to get him, and he contributed absolutely nothing, in any game (save for a fumble recovery on a special teams play) to the Bills..or any other NFL team for that matter.  He is was such a terrible pick, I would bet many here don't even remember him.

PS- I love Marv Levy, the coach, but not as GM. My assessment of him as GM not only includes his terrible drafts, but hiring (and sticking us with) Dick Jauron, my least favorite Bills coach in my lifetime (me and the Bills go back to about 1972) when we already knew he wasn't a great head coach.  That said, I will give him credit for the Kyle Williams pick.

I don’t know.  McCargo was a terrible pick for sure but the worst?  I think another Marv special Aaron Maybin might be worse using the same criteria.  Also Torrel Troupe offered the Billsnless than McCargo though he was a lower pick.  

Good point about Marv being a terrible GM, but if you look drafts, he did hit on his picks at a higher rate than Doug Whaley or Buddance Nix. 

And I wouldn’t necessarily fault Marv for Jauron coming back.  As Marv was completely phased out, it became clear the Bills needed to fire Jauron.  But it was cheap Ralph who signed DJ to a new 3 year deal after the 4-1 start in 2008.  He didn’t want to eat that contract.  If you ever wonder why Ralph had a reputation for being cheap....it’s situations like this.

Edited by Phil The Thrill

57 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Worst: JP Losman.  His terrible performance coupled with the trade up with the Cowboys.  If the Bills hadn't made this trade, the following year they could have drafted Aaron Rodgers

Best: Kyle Williams.  A 5th round steal

This is the hands-down winner.  Not only did the Bills draft a bust QB, but the trade up cost them the opportunity to draft a HOF QB the next season.  It's a bust topped-off with a kick to the groin.

56 minutes ago, Buftex said:

What's even more appalling is that they passed on Haloti Ngata only to trade up for McCargo.   :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You do a wonderful job making excuses for Sammy.

How can you not hold him to that standard when your GM publicly used the term “generational talent” in nearly every media interview after making the trade?

Was it unreasonable?  Maybe, but that was where the bar was set...not by the fan base....by the Buffalo Bills in 2014.  He came nowhere close

What makes the selection more disappointing, is the fact that he was severely outperformed by many receivers drafted after him.  Not just in Round 1 but in later rounds as well.   I don’t feel that asking him to outperform the other WR’s in his class is unreasonable at all.  

So happy to see AP writer John Wawarrow include the Sammy trade under the “worst” category in column.  I know you love Sammy but this was a terrible move and he did not live up to his hype.  

I made no excuses- I admitted he was less than I expected- and you admitted you are unreasonable- I see this as a win for me.? I will not respond anymore because we are walking in circles I agree to disagree.?

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's Maybin and by a wide margin.

Honorable mentions:

• Erik Flowers
  • Mike Williams
  • CJ Spiller

I couldn't bring myself to add Watkins to this.  Not a good pick given the roster at the time, but Maybin and Flowers and Williams were totally inert.  CJ Spiller was a pick that wasn't required and he was never really used correctly anyways.

2 minutes ago, Groin said:

It's Maybin and by a wide margin.

Honorable mentions:

• Erik Flowers
  • Mike Williams
  • CJ Spiller

I couldn't bring myself to add Watkins to this.  Not a good pick given the roster at the time, but Maybin and Flowers and Williams were totally inert.  CJ Spiller was a pick that wasn't required and he was never really used correctly anyways.

Yeah.....they needed to get him in "space." :)

• Like (+1) 1