Who was the Bills best and worst draft pick of this century to this point?

Big Turk

Want your opinions to the thread title.

Your vote for the single best and worst draft pick the Bills have had since 2000.

For me, I am going to say the best is Tre White and the worst is Erik Flowers.

For me it came down between Gilmore and White and I gave the nod to White because he is doing what Gilmore is doing with the Patriots now with the Bills. Namely turning in all pro first team and pro bowl performances and last year not allowing a single TD in coverage. Can't get much better than that. Gilmore is a great player but he is much better with the Pats then he was with the Bills.

Maybe that is coaching or usage or scheme but at the end of the day that is the difference to me.

Erik Flowers is arguably one of the worst picks in Bills history. The man played 5 seasons in the NFL and only started a grand total of 6 games as a first round pick at DE. That's hard to do. Honorable mention to Mayhem Maybin and Mike Williams.

Best: Tre White (1st round). Kyle Williams (5th round), Tremaine Edmunds (1st round), and Terrance McGee (4th round) are honorable mentions.

Worst: Sammy Watkins (Top 5) (Since we gave up two first rounders for him and he didn't even make it through his rookie contract with us. He was supposed to be our elite WR and he just wasn't.) Mike Williams (Top 5) and CJ Spiller (Top 10) are honorable mentions.

I think the picks that really set you back if you don't get a really good player that are staples for years are those top 10 picks. It's easier to forgive later round picks or even lower picks in the first round. But those top 10 picks NEED to pan out. That's why Sammy was such a blow. Not just a top 5 pick, but our next year's first rounder as well. Two potentially elite, franchise players down the tube.

• Like (+1) 2

Best pick - Kyle Williams. Bills Wall of Famer in the 5th Round and spent 13 years  in Buffalo? Pretty good. 

Worst Pick - I don’t see how it can be anybody other than Maybin. Zero sacks with the Bills, by the second/third week of Training Camp you could sense he was a problem (arguing with Wood, getting mauled in practice). 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

Worst: Sammy Watkins (Top 5) (Since we gave up two first rounders for him and he didn't even make it through his rookie contract with us. He was supposed to be our elite WR and he just wasn't.) Mike Williams (Top 5) and CJ Spiller (Top 10) are honorable mentions.

It’s a compelling case, especially because Khalil Mack from UB was there at #4 (I was screaming at the TV for him as the Bills picked, but knew they wouldn’t do it) and because obviously that draft was loaded with the best WR talent since the 2011 Jones/Green draft.  So we missed out on Evans, Beckham, Cooks, Landry and so on. 

Sammy’s ribs, Sammy’s foot, Sammy getting caught from behind by a Jets corner on the way into the end zone, the EJ-Sammy pairing lasting 4 total games, just a disaster pick. 

I'm ranking my picks based on performance versus where they were picked.  

Best: Kyle Williams

Worst: Aaron Maybin

Completely on target: Tre White (He is who we thought he would be)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The 2008 Draft was mind boggling it was so bad. McKelvin, James Hardy, Chris Ellis, Reggie Corner, Derek Fine, Alvin Bowen, Xavier Omon, Demetress Bell. At least the Bills got their #1 WR for three seasons: Steve Johnson in the 7th, and an ok corner in McKelvin. But not one of those other picks could play at all, not at all. 

Only to be rivaled by the 2010 Draft. Absolutely horrendous. Tom Modrak, a Jauron era holdover, still ran all the Scouting before being let go and it showed: Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Easley, Ed Wang, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, Levi Brown and Kyle Calloway. 

All that draft capital spent on switch to the 3-4 defense that lasted 10 weeks before the Bills started talking about multiple fronts and switching back to the 4-3. And Moats played his best football for the Steelers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Best-  Kyle Williams has to be the only answer for best pick.  He’s a 5th rd pick Wall of Famer. Other players may have been better but most were 1st rd picks.

Worst- Tre’Davious.  We took him instead of Mahomes. He’ll always be the pick that should’ve been the best QB in the league.

thats a joke, but I know some feel that feel that way.  

Real worst- Maybin-  he was always terrible.  Sammy was a higher pick and we gave up picks in the trade up, but he’s actually a good player.  He was actually good for us.  Maybin was never good. Ever

mike williams is honorable mention

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Best: Kyle Williams 

Worst: The other d tackle taken in the same 2006 draft but 4 rounds earlier (1st round if that wasn’t obvious), John McCargo. I think he played even fewer snaps than Maybin in his career. Maybin was drafted much higher of course, but the Bills actually traded back into the first to get McCargo.

Another good same draft comparison was 2008, James Hardy in the 2nd and then Stevie Johnson in the 7th. I know, the question want the same draft, but just felt like pointing these ones out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Best - Kyle Williams (Value)

Worst - Aaron Maybin (so.....sooo bad)

This is the answer. 

I hope the likes of Tre, Oliver and obviously Josh can surpass Kyle. That would mean good things. But at the moment it is is the guys who logged just shy of 50 career sacks, 6 pro bowl nods, and a second team all pro while playing on some pretty bad Bills teams. 

• Like (+1) 2