Gil Brandt QB prospect comparison

My comps for each guy's most likely outcome (listed in order of my grades):

• Burrow: Carson Palmer
  • Tua: Poor Man's Russell Wilson
  • Love: Colin Kaepernick (but a better passing, worse running version)
  • Eason: Stationary Josh Allen
  • Herbert: Poor Man's Jay Cutler
  • Fromm: Matt Barkley
  • Hurts: Poor Man's Mitch Trubisky

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We'll see who is right on Tua. 

Gil Brandt compares Tua to Brees.

Whereas, Cosell is not as high on Tua because he is a "system Quarterback" and he says Burrow is far and away the best QB prospect in the class.  

Funny because I totally see burrow as a system QB as he was average in a pro style ,and that was in college

He needs the spread to be successful

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean there are a lot of ways you can go and attack it. But up front your defensive line and linebackers must be Gap sound

It's a long game so you have to make them earn everything. Sooner than later offenses don't like getting 5-6 yards through the air, so they get a little jealous and push it down field

How do you make them do that well there is a couple ways to do it. Let's use Seans standard 4-2-5 nickel. again it all starts with gap control up front by your four down linemen and two linebackers. You need to stop the run. No stunts twists nothing Gap control football.

The back end is a little bit trickier. Ideally the best way to beat it is to press man. Cover 1, or 0 ... but most teams in college and the NFL don't have the personnel to do that

So you need to have great safety play. If you have two people in the backend that can funnel everything down the game gets condensed. Combo coverages, press zone, and faking Dual A gap pressure are all things that can confuse or make a QB hold the ball a little longer . Sean loves using palms coverage to confuse spread defense because it can turn from cover 4 to a man depending on look and route combo

Ideally I would attack it in a 3-3-5. I would use a 0 tech and 5 techs. A big 3 man front to eat up the run

In the back end the three linebackers and five defensive backs again gives you a whole bunch of things to play with. You could overload to one side. You can play Man zone combo coverages. You can bring 5  lots of ways.. My favorite 3rd down formation is simulating dual A gap pressure but rarely bringing it..  you just need the quarterback to hold the ball a split-second more

Again it's about slowing down the other team. Everybody gets yards in the NFL for the most part. But defenders get paid to make plays too. Keep everything in front of you and See more plays

Eventually all quarterbacks get tired of dinking and dunking and take that shot that they shouldn't and you just need to capitalize

Certainly sounds like McDermott's defensive philosophy, even though you'd take a very different route with respect to personnel and alignment.

Reads right to me. Thanks for taking the time.

Might not be relevant, but (in keeping it Bills related) I'm oddly reminded of Jauron's defenses here, and how--while mostly mediocre--they actually gave vintage Manning and the Colts trouble on the road, playing that measured, conservative coverage-based scheme. The vaunted Cover-2/Tampa-2: keep everything in front of you. Rangy middle linebacker and dynamic safeties, zone-heavy CBs with eyes in the backfield, four down-linemen...I mean, not when the Bills ran it. But ideally.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DCOrange said:

My comps for each guy's most likely outcome (listed in order of my grades):

• Burrow: Carson Palmer
  • Tua: Poor Man's Russell Wilson
  • Love: Colin Kaepernick (but a better passing, worse running version)
  • Eason: Stationary Josh Allen
  • Herbert: Poor Man's Jay Cutler
  • Fromm: Matt Barkley
  • Hurts: Poor Man's Mitch Trubisky

I am not big on pro comparators I think they are a slightly lazy substitute for proper analysis because often people (not accusing you of this @DCOrange) decide early "oh X guy is the same as Y guy" and then stop really looking. I really try and avoid them..... But Jake Fromm and Mat Barkley was unavoidable. I think if there is ever a comparison that you have to jump to when you watch the film that is the one. They are the same guy!  

On 4/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more.  Fromm was a game manager in college surrounded by nfl talent with very average at best physical talent.  He will be lucky if he sticks as backup for a long time.  He was the worst of the 3 Georgia qbs.  

As for Love, he was an absolute stud as a sophomore.  They lost like 9 starters and their OC. Obviously it’s a big jump but if he goes to a situation where can develop properly, I think he could be a stud.

Sounds like Josh Allen

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not big on pro comparators I think they are a slightly lazy substitute for proper analysis because often people (not accusing you of this @DCOrange) decide early "oh X guy is the same as Y guy" and then stop really looking. I really try and avoid them..... But Jake Fromm and Mat Barkley was unavoidable. I think if there is ever a comparison that you have to jump to when you watch the film that is the one. They are the same guy!  

I wouldn't make that comparison honestly. I think Colt McCoy , Chase Daniel at best. I'm not a huge comparison guy but if I had too that's who I'd compare him too

Barkley displayed much better long ball touch in college than Fromm

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't make that comparison honestly. I think Colt McCoy , Chase Daniel at best

Barkley displayed much better long ball touch in college than Fromm

Meh. I didn't like Barkley much either down the field. It was before I had really started digging into tape though (my first attempt was the next year and I was mainly rubbish so I could 2015 as my proper start) and so I could be wrong. But Barkley was the guy that came to mind to me watching Fromm.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I didn't like Barkley much either down the field. It was before I had really started digging into tape though (my first attempt was the next year and I was mainly rubbish so I could 2015 as my proper start) and so I could be wrong. But Barkley was the guy that came to mind to me watching Fromm.

I didn't like Barkley at all and I don't like fromm either lol

I thought both were 5th round picks at best

Good college QBs who just don't physically translate to the league

But Barkley might have more tools which is saying something lol

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I didn't like Barkley at all and I don't like fromm either lol

I thought both were 5th round picks at best

Good college QBs who just don't physically translate to the league

But Barkley might have more tools which is saying something lol

Yea I think round 4 compensatory picks is earliest I'd consider Fromm.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think round 4 compensatory picks is earliest I'd consider Fromm.

Barkley's junior year I had friends saying he would be the number one overall pick and I just laughed saying that's why you don't know about football lol

You could be mocked first all you want, but a dude with those physical traits was never going in the top couple rounds. So he might as well be Big Man on campus for another year

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Barkley's junior year I had friends saying he would be the number one overall pick and I just laughed saying that's why you don't know about football lol

You could be mocked first all you want, but a dude with those physical traits was never going in the top couple rounds. So he might as well be Big Man on campus for another year

Good looking kid like Matt, California girls? I'd have stayed at USC until they literally kicked me out.