Gil Brandt QB prospect comparison

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

burrow was lost going through progressions in his pro style offense last year. The full spread helped him see the field immensely

And comparing him to Andy Dalton is still a very low ceiling first overall pick.  Burrow is polished but he's  probably the least physically impressive first overall pick in a long time

Even Baker had a stronger arm by a good amount and Baker had great accuracy and touch, not size

If you read the whole thing, it sounds like Brandt is saying his pro comp is a rich man's Dalton and that he thinks Dalton is a good starter and Burrow has the potential to be a special QB.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

A few players who are good players doesn't mean defensive coordinators don't know how to stop it

The spread isn't new , and defensive coordinators have known how to slow down an NFL spread offense by in large part for a long time

Watson looked lost for 3 quarters of our playoff game. McDermott knows how to stop a spread offense. Every HS in Texas runs it , an NFL defensive coordinator can figure it out

Watson had a bad 3Q’s and suddenly all spread concepts are easily stoppable. 

You know Watson has 85 TD’s in 37 starts right? A 2x ProBowler in 2 full seasons. 

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If you read the whole thing, it sounds like Brandt is saying his pro comp is a rich man's Dalton and that he thinks Dalton is a good starter and Burrow has the potential to be a special QB.

Anything is certainly possible and everybody in the NFL is talented

I just don't see a NFL superstar with Burrow

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Watson had a bad 3Q’s and suddenly all spread concepts are easily stoppable. 

You know Watson has 85 TD’s in 37 starts right? A 2x ProBowler in 2 full seasons. 

Ummm do you not comprehend English? I said a few good QBs who are spread QBs doesn't mean the NFL can't stop them. The spread isn't new, NFL coordinators have been able to slow it down for the most part since it's inception

There are farrrr more spread QBs to fail in the last 20 years than succeed. Not even close

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't take everything he says as Gospel

But he's forgot more about football than most here have ever known so his opinion is still definitely respected

This- you may not agree with his opinions, but no need to criticize the guy.

Brandt has more information, contacts, perspective and history than most anyone

Edited by hmsmystic

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Love will be terrible. Fromm is a guy who I think could be a quality game manager in the 2nd round. Burrow reminds me of Sam Darnold. Herbert is this year’s Josh Allen. Tua will be a star if he can stay healthy.

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more.  Fromm was a game manager in college surrounded by nfl talent with very average at best physical talent.  He will be lucky if he sticks as backup for a long time.  He was the worst of the 3 Georgia qbs.  

As for Love, he was an absolute stud as a sophomore.  They lost like 9 starters and their OC. Obviously it’s a big jump but if he goes to a situation where can develop properly, I think he could be a stud.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more.  Fromm was a game manager in college surrounded by nfl talent with very average at best physical talent.  He will be lucky if he sticks as backup for a long time.  He was the worst of the 3 Georgia qbs.  

As for Love, he was an absolute stud as a sophomore.  They lost like 9 starters and their OC. Obviously it’s a big jump but if he goes to a situation where can develop properly, I think he could be a stud.

What do I know? I won’t pretend to be an expert, I don’t put in enough time to qualify. I noticed that Love under-throws a lot of balls that should be homerun hits. Whereas Fromm has a lot more spin on the ball and velocity. I know very little in terms of decision making, just a few videos and a quick peak at the stats. Could be completely wrong, just my humble opinion. My 2¢ is free.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

What do I know? I won’t pretend to be an expert, I don’t put in enough time to qualify. I noticed that Love under-throws a lot of balls that should be homerun hits. Whereas Fromm has a lot more spin on the ball and velocity. I know very little in terms of decision making, just a few videos and a quick peak at the stats. Could be completely wrong, just my humble opinion. My 2¢ is free.

Totally respect your opinion.  And with all these guys, the situation matters so much.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting it would be three #1 pick QBs in a row who I have thought have to play in a spread style offense to succeed. Shows how much the game has changed. 

It took them long enough.  How many times had we heard an evaluation of a college QB include “but he didn’t play in a pro-style offense”?   It made me start wondering if the NFL bylaws or bible stated that “Thou shalt only employ a Pro-Style Offense”

I never understood why so many NFL coaches felt they had to change a QB instead of letting him run what he was good at.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ColeB said:

It took them long enough.  How many times had we heard an evaluation of a college QB include “but he didn’t play in a pro-style offense”?   It made me start wondering if the NFL bylaws or bible stated that “Thou shalt only employ a Pro-Style Offense”

I never understood why so many NFL coaches felt they had to change a QB instead of letting him run what he was good at.

Yep. I think it has happened gradually in a sense. Originally they took guys out of spread and then put them in these merged offenses - that is what Bill O'Brien did a bit early on with Watson and it is famously what Kyle Shanahan did with RGIII. But to take three guys who are really spread only QBs at #1 in three consecutive years and then just put them in the spread systems straight away is definitely another step in the development of the NFL.

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Love will be terrible. Fromm is a guy who I think could be a quality game manager in the 2nd round. Burrow reminds me of Sam Darnold. Herbert is this year’s Josh Allen. Tua will be a star if he can stay healthy.

Love is a Central Valley boy just like Allen. Allen from Firebaugh just west of Fresno. Love is from Bakersfield a couple hours south of Firebaugh. The similarities don't end there. Both played in the Mountain West Conference. Both had break-out Sophomore campaigns followed by questionable Jr. seasons before entering the draft. Love is a less athletic maybe more polished passer version of Allen coming out of college.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hmmm. Who does that sounds like?  

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

HoFr Gil Brandt has released his QB comparisons for the 2020 NFL prospects

He obviously isn't that high on Burrow , as am I. Compares him to andy Dalton which is actually a fair NFL comparison

Herbert is compared to Carson Palmer

Tua to Drew Brees

Love to Jay Cutler

Fromm to Colt McCoy

And Eason to Joe Flacco

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109661/article/2020-nfl-draft-prospectpro-comparisons-for-top-quarterbacks

Well of them all....I would certainly take Drew Brees

But Carson Palmer woulda won a Superbowl with a better team around him

I dunno about these kind of comparisons in general.

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Watson looked lost for 3 quarters of our playoff game. McDermott knows how to stop a spread offense. Every HS in Texas runs it , an NFL defensive coordinator can figure it out

So what happened during the 4th Quarter of our playoff game, was B O'B singing "Amazing Grace" into his helmet?

("I once was lost, but now am found....")

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

A few players who are good players doesn't mean defensive coordinators don't know how to stop it

The spread isn't new , and defensive coordinators have known how to slow down an NFL spread offense by in large part for a long time

I'd respectfully LOVE to read a succinct summary of the blueprint to defensing spread offenses. If you have a few minutes. Truly. I'm a nerd for NFL game-planning: schemes, formations, personnel packages, play calling...all of it. 

I know how defenses attacked the Bills' spread offense last year, but I don't think that's (cover-0 pressure) accepted as "best practice" league-wide...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'd respectfully LOVE to read a succinct summary of the blueprint to defensing spread offenses. If you have a few minutes. Truly. I'm a nerd for NFL game-planning: schemes, formations, personnel packages, play calling...all of it. 

I know how defenses attacked the Bills' spread offense last year, but I don't think that's (cover-0 pressure) accepted as "best practice" league-wide...

I mean there are a lot of ways you can go and attack it. But up front your defensive line and linebackers must be Gap sound

It's a long game so you have to make them earn everything. Sooner than later offenses don't like getting 5-6 yards through the air, so they get a little jealous and push it down field

How do you make them do that well there is a couple ways to do it. Let's use Seans standard 4-2-5 nickel. again it all starts with gap control up front by your four down linemen and two linebackers. You need to stop the run. No stunts twists nothing Gap control football.

The back end is a little bit trickier. Ideally the best way to beat it is to press man. Cover 1, or 0 ... but most teams in college and the NFL don't have the personnel to do that

So you need to have great safety play. If you have two people in the backend that can funnel everything down the game gets condensed. Combo coverages, press zone, and faking Dual A gap pressure are all things that can confuse or make a QB hold the ball a little longer . Sean loves using palms coverage to confuse spread defense because it can turn from cover 4 to a man depending on look and route combo

Ideally I would attack it in a 3-3-5. I would use a 0 tech and 5 techs. A big 3 man front to eat up the run

In the back end the three linebackers and five defensive backs again gives you a whole bunch of things to play with. You could overload to one side. You can play Man zone combo coverages. You can bring 5  lots of ways.. My favorite 3rd down formation is simulating dual A gap pressure but rarely bringing it..  you just need the quarterback to hold the ball a split-second more

Again it's about slowing down the other team. Everybody gets yards in the NFL for the most part. But defenders get paid to make plays too. Keep everything in front of you and See more plays

Eventually all quarterbacks get tired of dinking and dunking and take that shot that they shouldn't and you just need to capitalize

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Herbert - Gabbert (Not Carson Palmer by any means)

Tua - Left handed Russell Wilson imo

Burrow - Right handed Boomer Esiason

Love - I think the Jay Cutler comp holds some water

The others, in the words of Jay Cutler, "Don't caaaarrrre".