Gil Brandt QB prospect comparison

HoFr Gil Brandt has released his QB comparisons for the 2020 NFL prospects

He obviously isn't that high on Burrow , as am I. Compares him to andy Dalton which is actually a fair NFL comparison

Herbert is compared to Carson Palmer

Tua to Drew Brees

Love to Jay Cutler

Fromm to Colt McCoy

And Eason to Joe Flacco

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109661/article/2020-nfl-draft-prospectpro-comparisons-for-top-quarterbacks

Just now, DJB said:

Do we take Gil Brandt seriously anymore? Dude looks like he has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. 

I wouldn't take everything he says as Gospel

But he's forgot more about football than most here have ever known so his opinion is still definitely respected

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't take everything he says as Gospel

But he's forgot more about football than most here have ever known so his opinion is still definitely respected

True. I'll give you that

3 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Tua and brees are two completely different players 

If you watched tua throw short and intermediate passes with world-class touch you could see why he says that

It has nothing to do with their athletic ability or anyting. Tua has world-class touch

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Big difference between Burrow and Dalton is that Burrow is excellent going through progressions. Dalton is a talented passer but if you take away his first or second read, he's lost.

Also, Brandt isn't low on Burrow; he still has him as his #1 QB in the class.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Big difference between Burrow and Dalton is that Burrow is excellent going through progressions. Dalton is a talented passer but if you take away his first or second read, he's lost.

Also, Brandt isn't low on Burrow; he still has him as his #1 QB in the class.

burrow was lost going through progressions in his pro style offense last year. The full spread helped him see the field immensely

And comparing him to Andy Dalton is still a very low ceiling first overall pick.  Burrow is polished but he's  probably the least physically impressive first overall pick in a long time

Even Baker had a stronger arm by a good amount and Baker had great accuracy and touch, not size

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you watched tua throw short and intermediate passes with world-class touch you could see why he says that

It has nothing to do with their athletic ability or anyting. Tua has world-class touch

That’s what she said.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

burrow was lost going through progressions in his pro style offense last year. The full spread helped him out immensely

Agree with that. While I am a fair bit higher on him than you and I think Dalton is very much his floor - he can be Dalton day 1 for my money - I think he has to be in a spread scheme. It seems to simplify things for him. I felt in pro style he was too quick to checkdown because he wants the ball out quickly. 

Interesting it would be three #1 pick QBs in a row who I have thought have to play in a spread style offense to succeed. Shows how much the game has changed. 

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Especially if you're on the other team :D

But seriously. Both guys have never seen a throw they didn’t think they could make. Sometimes to their detriment.

I like that confidence though. I have always believed it’s easier to get a QB to reign in that gunslinger mentality than to teach them to trust their arm more if they are a little on the conservative side.

Just now, FireChans said:

But seriously. Both guys have never seen a throw they didn’t think they could make. Sometimes to their detriment.

I like that confidence though. I have always believed it’s easier to get a QB to reign in that gunslinger mentality than to teach them to trust their arm more if they are a little on the conservative side.

I've always been one of the select few Cutler truthers out there. There's something very satisfying about watching a guy that you know has an ungodly pair on him, if only because you've got no clue how any given play will go. Hell, with Jay, I'm not even sure he knew for half of his career.

I've not really studied Love this year but I welcome anyone that could be the next-gen Jay Cutler. My enjoyment needs it to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

I've always been one of the select few Cutler truthers out there. There's something very satisfying about watching a guy that you know has an ungodly pair on him, if only because you've got no clue how any given play will go. Hell, with Jay, I'm not even sure he knew for half of his career.

I've not really studied Love this year but I welcome anyone that could be the next-gen Jay Cutler. My enjoyment needs it to happen.

That’s my QB!

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with that. While I am a fair bit higher on him than you and I think Dalton is very much his floor - he can be Dalton day 1 for my money - I think he has to be in a spread scheme. It seems to simplify things for him. I felt in pro style he was too quick to checkdown because he wants the ball out quickly. 

Interesting it would be three #1 pick QBs in a row who I have thought have to play in a spread style offense to succeed. Shows how much the game has changed. 

The game has completely changed. It's the NFL and they know how to slow down those type of offenses tho... 90% of all college quarterbacks who are NFL talent Worthy are coming out as spread quarterbacks now

The NFL had to adapt with them and has surprisingly

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The game has completely changed. It's the NFL and they know how to slow down those type of offenses tho... 90% of all college quarterbacks who are NFL talent Worthy are coming out as spread quarterbacks now

The NFL had to adapt with them and has surprisingly

The NFL knows how to slow down the spread now? Is that why Watson and Murray have all had great to good success from the jump?

Edited by FireChans

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The NFL knows how to slow down the spread now? Is that why Watson and Murray have all had great to good success from the jump?

A few players who are good players doesn't mean defensive coordinators don't know how to stop it

The spread isn't new , and defensive coordinators have known how to slow down an NFL spread offense by in large part for a long time

Watson looked lost for 3 quarters of our playoff game. McDermott knows how to stop a spread offense. Every HS in Texas runs it , an NFL defensive coordinator can figure it out

Edited by Buffalo716