What would you consider a successful draft?

High upside players that provide depth, can contribute early, and hopefully grow into starters/full time contributors down the road. We’re at a point in team building (first time I ever remember) where a rookie will not be pushed to start unless they’re ready. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

We are in total agreement. 

I don't agree with that. I think we should judge Barkley by the first Jets game not by the second one. Second one he played with backups and 3rd stringers. 

I think through The Drought years, stretching into today, the Bills have continuously brought in the weakest backups imaginable to prop up their starters. 

Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Tuel, Tyler Thigpen, Derek Anderson, Gilbran Hamdan, Brian Brohm, Matt Cassel, Thad Lewis, Kevin Kolb (I know signed to be the starter), talking Kyle Orton out of retirement, Nate Peterman and now Matt Barkley.

If they signed Winston right now, they know there would be a QB controversy, so while I think McDermott cares about competition, the FO purposely keeps the bar on the floor for Josh Allen to jump over. 

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think through The Drought years, stretching into today, the Bills have continuously brought in the weakest backups imaginable to prop up their starters. 

Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Tuel, Tyler Thigpen, Derek Anderson, Gilbran Hamdan, Brian Brohm, Matt Cassel, Thad Lewis, Kevin Kolb (I know signed to be the starter), talking Kyle Orton out of retirement, Nate Peterman and now Matt Barkley.

If they signed Winston right now, they know there would be a QB controversy, so while I think McDermott cares about competition, the FO purposely keeps the bar on the floor for Josh Allen to jump over. 

Part of me agrees with this.

I believe in Allen, and I think he would be even more motivated  (if possible) to seperate  himself from the other guy...whoever that may be.

I think we are doing this team a disservice by not having a backup that can win games and possibly push the starter. 

This team is too good and too deep to be let down by the QB position.

5 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Part of me agrees with this.

I believe in Allen, and I think he would be even more motivated  (if possible) to seperate  himself from the other guy...whoever that may be.

I think we are doing this team a disservice by not having a backup that can win games and possibly push the starter. 

This team is too good and too deep to be let down by the QB position.

Look at this site, https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB and tell me how many NFL yes have what your saying? I think maybe 5 do. I don't mind drafting a QB in Round 5 or later to see if can get a diamond in the rough I can't see drafting one higher is wise decision. As others have said think getting another quality RB, CB and pass rusher (DE or OLB) makes more sense. That said I wouldn't mind adding another veteran to compete with Barkley makes more sense. I still love Matt Moore on this team as think he's a good fit.

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’d like to see two guys that ultimately become starters or get significant time as rotation guys.  Ideally at RB and DE.  And a punter.

If also throw in maybe finding a solution at #2 CB as think Norman isn't a horrible stop gap but like to find a guy to man position three or more years as not a big Levi Wallace fan.

Edited by The Jokeman

I think it all depends on how the board shakes up but it’ll either be WR or RB with that first pick and then whatever is left with that second pick. Could be Mims or Aiyuk or it could be Taylor or Dobbins, it all depends. I think adding a nice edge rusher on top of that like Alton Robinson or Kenny Willekes would make that an ideal reality.

• Like (+1) 1

Demanding certain positions will likely lead to disappointment. They'll go BPA, particularly early. Positions of need factor into their boards, but they won't be using checklists, nor should they. It's bad draft strategy.

I'd hope that maybe 3 - 4 guys would see significant time this year, as backups, platoon guys, etc. If there's a starter, that'd be great, but not so likely, injuries excepted.

Two to three years down the road it'd be great to see two and hopefully three guys develop into starters. I'd make that number higher if we had a first-round pick this year. But we don't.

• Like (+1) 1

Realistically given where their picks are, if they can find one eventual starter and two more that stick around for their rookie contract as contributors as backups and/or important special team players, then I think that would be pretty good.  Anything more would be a bonus, in my opinion.  

Edited by OldTimer1960

2 more weapons for Allen, even if on a rotational basis, both of whom have the capability of either taking it to the house with speed from anywhere or are valuable in the red zone. A defensive player to develop at the "big nickel" to help complete McDermott's vision for his defense

• Like (+1) 1

depth

if Trey or Micah or Singletary sprain an ankle who can we rely on

there is decent depth at several position groups but not all

thats why I like a DB, edge, RB, WR, OL in that order -

I would be happy with 5 picks this draft given Diggs acquisition  makes 6 and trading up in the middle rounds for quality or quantity in the mid-range...

if you want to draft a P in 7 round be my guest