Has Clowney already agreed to a deal with the Titans?

45 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Titans are a solid team top to bottom. I’m not “scared” either, but they outperformed the bills when it mattered most and they’ve earned a healthy dose of respect. 

Good way of putting it. I know every game is going to probably be a fight. The Titans are an average team for me. The Pats were running on fumes by the time Tenn got to NE. Let’s not forgot with a bye on the line NE lost to Miami at home. I think we saw who Baltimore was in the playoffs. That was a bad matchup for Baltimore just like I think the Bills would of been. Then Tenn got beat pretty bad by KC. I don’t think Tenn will be terrible but I could see a 8-8 or 7-9. 

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Titans are a solid team top to bottom. I’m not “scared” either, but they outperformed the bills when it mattered most and they’ve earned a healthy dose of respect. 

Titans are still the Titans, one great big meh of a team as always regardless of whether they beat the Ravens last year or not.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Happy, like you’re posts, but you forgot one team in the AFC.  THE BUFFALO BILLS!  Sorry, I wasn’t yelling, just excited we’re in the same discussion now as the teams you mentioned and I agree with you 110%.  These are likely to be the four division winners.  I don’t remember any of them including us losing key players in free agency, and several additions including us.

As far as Clowney, I didn’t see him live up to his hype coming out of the draft, but he is a solid player.  It’s just mind boggling he didn’t play better with Watt on the other side as Watt drew most of the double teams, and still beat them.  I hope the Titans play well as long as it is not against us which is supposed to be the last game of the season in TN.  While we have two tough divisions in the NFC and AFC West, they don’t exactly have it easy with AFC and NFC North.  You can make the argument the Jets and Dolphins are rebuilding and the Pats may be good, but not the same as the past.

Now their division doesn’t look that hard either as Jax and the Texans should be a mess, but there are some good teams in both divisions in the north with the Packs, MN, Ravens, and possibly the Steelers as Big Ben will be back.  I can see the Titans and Bills with a 10-6 record even though both teams may be better, but facing tough opposition.

It should be a fun year as long as we have a full season.

Thanks, MGK.  I didn't include the Bills because they still have to prove they belong with the division winners (by actually winning the division) and being a step away from the Super Bowl like Tennessee was.  Buffalo can, and should, win the AFCE, though NE will not be a pushover -- Belichick will see to that.  I think Vrabel (for being a meathead) is a great coach, and seeing what he did last year to right the ship I'm fairly confident that he sees what he has to do to win going forward.  Tennessee will win the AFCS easily and probably be closer to 12-4.  If Buffalo can get to 10-6 with a tough schedule and win the division, I would call that a successful year and one to build off of.

Clowney is a good player, but not worth $15M/year.  More hype than production, so I'm not at all upset Buffalo didn't go after him.  I would guess that Beane would agree with the first sentence in this paragraph.

In the end, I just want Buffalo to take another step forward and prove that they got better player and coach wise.  If they do that, I think the future is bright.  They have to prove they belong with the big boys in the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Titans, Chiefs, and Ravens will be the better AFC teams this year.  I would think if anything, the Titans will get better just by being more consistent; Vrabel probably won't have to make a QB change mid season.  Tannehill could be an Alex Smith equivalent by doing just enough and letting the running game and the defense handle the load.  They might want to give Henry more rotation as his workload was a bit much.

I full heartily disagree. They were a 9 win team that literally rode Henry. History tells us Henry will not have a season again like that. Teams will force tannenhill to win games and while he’s ok, they won’t get past 8 or 9 wins. They lost one of the better starting RT, traded away there best linemen for chump change and haven’t added weapons to the offense 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Billl said:

Tannehill has always been a better player than he’s given credit for.  He’s a decent player when he’s playing for a competent organization. Tannehill could pull an Alex Smith and be a guy who gets traded to a team that’s a better fit for him and wins a ton of games even though he never wows anyone.  I think the same about Andy Dalton but to a lesser extent.  If BB wants a veteran starter, Dalton could do some things there.

What surprised me the most about Tannehill is his YPA. In Miami, he never threw a ball more than 3 yards. He was worse than Trent Edwards. Going to Tenn, I think he led the league in YPA during the regular season— which makes me think his coaching/scheme in Miami was terrible. He can really chuck the ball downfield.

That said, in the playoffs, Tenn clearly kept the reigns on him. You wonder if they had let him air it out whether they could have been far more explosive on O. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I full heartily disagree. They were a 9 win team that literally rode Henry. History tells us Henry will not have a season again like that. Teams will force tannenhill to win games and while he’s ok, they won’t get past 8 or 9 wins. They lost one of the better starting RT, traded away there best linemen for chump change and haven’t added weapons to the offense 

Tannehill didn’t do anything that isn’t sustainable.  He threw for 228 YPG and relied on short passes and downfield shots off of play action.  They have a solid defense that will only get better if Clooney signs, and that allows them to play ball control offense to sit on leads and shorten games.

It’s a solid formula that has stood the test of time in the NFL.  This type of team consistently makes the playoffs, often wins divisions, but rarely wins championships.  If you think the team that won against KC, at Houston, at New England, and at Baltimore all in the second half of the season plus postseason is suddenly going to become mediocre, I think you’re in for disappointment.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the quality of sports reporting during a pandemic when sports are shut down. We got an article inferring Clowney is signing with the Titans based off a screenshot from a video game. 

I can't wait for things to go back to normal so we can return to inaccurate reporting based off bad "information from a source" instead of video games. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’d rather he be with the Seahawks or even Bills. However Titans really don’t scare me. We have all seen this one before. A backup caliber QB has a nice run over a handful of games. The team gives him a a new contract and then the QB goes back to backup talent level.

See: R. Fitzpatrick.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’d rather he be with the Seahawks or even Bills. However Titans really don’t scare me. We have all seen this one before. A backup caliber QB has a nice run over a handful of games. The team gives him a a new contract and then the QB goes back to backup talent level.

I agree completely. Henry was their whole O. He's going to be keyed in on heavily. They're a good team but not great , I think they'll struggle to get to 9 wins but they're a gritty team , like Buff 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree completely. Henry was their whole O. He's going to be keyed in on heavily. They're a good team but not great , I think they'll struggle to get to 9 wins but they're a gritty team , like Buff 

They've actually been decent for awhile now even with Mariota at QB. I expect them to be decent again, but they aren't the kind of team to go out and get 11+ wins. They are a team that scratches and claws their way into the playoffs.

They've gone 9-7 four years in a row and made the playoffs two of those years. They are remarkably consistent.

5 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I agree I don't see what is too impressive about the Titans. Even if Henry has another good season losing Conklin and not adding anything of significance to the team at the skill positions or on defense keeps them capped at the 8 to 10 win range. 

They have a good defense and a decent offense but their QB is average at best and their skill positions not that great either. Overall I don't see what is too impressive about them. 

7 hours ago, Billl said:

Tannehill didn’t do anything that isn’t sustainable.  He threw for 228 YPG and relied on short passes and downfield shots off of play action.  They have a solid defense that will only get better if Clooney signs, and that allows them to play ball control offense to sit on leads and shorten games.

It’s a solid formula that has stood the test of time in the NFL.  This type of team consistently makes the playoffs, often wins divisions, but rarely wins championships.  If you think the team that won against KC, at Houston, at New England, and at Baltimore all in the second half of the season plus postseason is suddenly going to become mediocre, I think you’re in for disappointment.

I agree with him about Tannehill.  He has never been a difference maker and I think he reverts back to his normal average to below self.  Is that good enough? Maybe.  If Henry and the defense continue what we saw last year.  I think the box gets stacked and teams make Tannehill find Brown or not.

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I agree with him about Tannehill.  He has never been a difference maker and I think he reverts back to his normal average to below self.  Is that good enough? Maybe.  If Henry and the defense continue what we saw last year.  I think the box gets stacked and teams make Tannehill find Brown or not.

We have seen it all before. The Titans run was the equivalent of Bortles and the Jags nearly beating the Pats in the playoffs. Even bad QBs can get in a good situation and play well enough to win for a period of time.

I doubt that Henry and Tannehill is a recipe for sustained success.