Morse big contract, Spain re-signed, Dawkins ready for extension, Feliciano last year?

It kind of puts the OL in perspective, looking at it’s history/current state. Everybody is aware of the RT position and either that’s going to eventually be Cody Ford’s position or the Bills are going to kick him inside and go get a future RT unless Williams turns out to be that guy. Either way I wonder what the future holds Feliciano because as of now it appears that he has been ignored. There’s a lot of moving parts on that right side of the OL. I’m curious as to what other people’s’ take is on Feliciano and the right side of the OL. Thoughts?

Edited by Tipster19

Cody Ford is either going to make the jump this year at RT or he’ll move inside to RG (where he was projected to be a stud coming out of college).  

I like Feliciano, and would definitely re-sign him to compete at RG and/or be interior depth at C/G, but it depends what kind of contract he’s looking for, and can get.  

Either way, I think 4/5 of our starting OL spots are locked down for the next few years with Dawkins, Spain, Morse and Ford. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Our O line was so bad for so long people are overvaluing Feliciano. He's scrappy and he actually sticks up for our QB, but he's honestly average on a good day. Both G spots are hold the fort guys and that's the reality to be honest.

I think Spain is better than Feliciano.  Feliciano, as you point out, is average on a good day, albeit tough as nails and versatile (which is absolutely worth something in today’s NFL and the state of OL play), but he’s not a priority re-signing in my eyes.   Kind of a Shaq/Phillips player where we offer what we think he’s worth but he’ll probably get better offers elsewhere on more OL needy teams. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, TheBeaneBandit said:

Our O line was so bad for so long people are overvaluing Feliciano. He's scrappy and he actually sticks up for our QB, but he's honestly average on a good day. Both G spots are hold the fort guys and that's the reality to be honest.

I actually agree with this. Feliciano is okay. I mean 100 times better than John Miller, but he isn’t great. He’s ok and he brings a nice edge to the group, but he is overachieving. I could see us drafting Hunt or Simpson and kind of grooming them. I also think there is a chance that Boehm or somebody maybe beats him out. In the little bit of time Spencer Long go last year, I actually thought he looked better than Feliciano. 

• Like (+1) 4

Feliciano is a below average starter or better than average backup -- however you want to say it. Ford is terrible at RT, but might turn out OK at G. Spain and Dawkins are very average starters. Unless we're aiming for mediocrity, we need to continue working to upgrade the OL. We had  nearly $90 million in cap space and we haven't signed any FA's that I'm even remotely excited about. Boehm is strictly a backup and Williams has been really terrible since his knee injury. I'd love to use our 1st pick on a RT. If not, use it for Lorenzo's replacement and then a RT. Everyone falsely assumes that our OL is 'fixed'. It's not. Not by a long shot. We need to score more points and with Diggs on board, RT is now the biggest 'hole' on offense. TE would be next unless Knox can bring his catch % way up, but that's hard to do when you're always having to adjust to the ball.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I ‘honestly’ disagree. Spain has been a bonafide starter his entire career and would start for probably 30 teams. That’s not ‘hold the fort’. That’s the best earth mortals can achieve, given there’s only 64 positions in the world. How is Feliciano over valued? WhatTH ARE your values?

yeeesh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cantankeous said:

I ‘honestly’ disagree. Spain has been a bonafide starter his entire career and would start for probably 30 teams. That’s not ‘hold the fort’. That’s the best earth mortals can achieve, given there’s only 64 positions in the world. How is Feliciano over valued? WhatTH ARE your values?

yeeesh.

Well, check out the huge burst in production when Rodger Staffold replaced Spain in Tennessee. Look, Spain isn't bad but he is very underwhelming as a run blocker. Feliciano, he's JAG, but he at least has a mean streak going for him. It is what it is. Our push up the middle is pretty weak guys?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Would anybody be against the Bills if they eventually  were to kick Ford inside, change Dawkins from LT to RT and go and get a big time LT?

I’m not totally against it, I just don’t think it is doable. I think that’s tricky because Dawkins is going to be a free agent. Are you going to give him huge money to move him to the right side? Is he going to want to stay to flip over to right tackle? And where is the big time left tackle coming from? Ronnie Stanley and Laremy Tunsil are set to become free agents, but they won’t ever get there or will be tagged. Maybe David Baktiahri who will be 29 after next season. Perhaps Taylor Decker, but I don’t think he is better than Dion. Everyone else will be old, and we will hopefully be good enough so that we don’t draft high enough to get an elite left tackle. Lets say you sign Bakhtiari to like 18-20 million per and Dion to 15-17 million per. That’s tying up a lot of cap to the tackle positions when you have guys like Tre White coming down the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Feliciano is a below average starter or better than average backup -- however you want to say it. Ford is terrible at RT, but might turn out OK at G. Spain and Dawkins are very average starters. Unless we're aiming for mediocrity, we need to continue working to upgrade the OL. We had  nearly $90 million in cap space and we haven't signed any FA's that I'm even remotely excited about. Boehm is strictly a backup and Williams has been really terrible since his knee injury. I'd love to use our 1st pick on a RT. If not, use it for Lorenzo's replacement and then a RT. Everyone falsely assumes that our OL is 'fixed'. It's not. Not by a long shot. We need to score more points and with Diggs on board, RT is now the biggest 'hole' on offense. TE would be next unless Knox can bring his catch % way up, but that's hard to do when you're always having to adjust to the ball.

Concerning your last point, receivers on every team constantly adjust to the ball, you, me, and the rest of the football world know this, it’s an odd thing to say, being that is exactly what all the great receivers do. watch the Diggs highlights as a for instance. 

Go Bills!!!

I think Cody Ford improved and you could do alot worse at right tackle... I'd like to see us draft one this year though and put CF inside. Darryl William's is a depth player. There are aoot of solid tackles in the draft this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Feliciano has position flexibility, and McDermott and Beane clearly value that. Even though Spencer Long has been listed as the backup center on the depth chart, it's been Feliciano who covered Morse on every snap he missed. Long has backed up Feliciano. Clearly, he's the better player. But, there's also a matter of continuity. I don't remember where I read it, but there was a statistical study that showed how important continuity is on the O-line. 

Re-sign Feliciano.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Disagree about Feliciano.  Thought he played pretty well.  And he also was playing w only one good arm.. (shoulder surgery after the season)  Morse was pretty good, but needs to be better.  Spain is solid.  I agree w you about Dawkins.  He is average at best.  Not sure where all the love comes for him.  Can't see paying him 15 mill per year or anything close to that.  He plays soft like a Frosty Snowman blowup doll.  Feliciano is a tough guy.  That is an important in the trenches.  We have Spain Long Feliciano Boehm Ford and Boettger competing for 2 starting Guard positions.  The cream should rise to the top.  At tackle we need Dawkins to step his game up.  He doesn't suck.  But he needs to be at least good.  If Darryl Williams can find his game, we will be good there as well.  And maybe Ford finds some quickness that will let him compete outside.  And don't forget Nseke.  There are enuf decent players that our O line should be above average.  Very few great O lines.  Need some first round talent for that.  

Not sure what doesn't excite you about our free agents.  Jefferson and Butler are beasts.  Addison can still play.  And AJ Klein is a player as well.  We lost Alexander Phillips and Lawson.  Decent players but not superstars.  I see more upside with the new guys.  And Josh Norman has something to prove.  He brings some toughness as well.  We brought in some good players.  The season is going to ride on our QB.  He has to be a lot better throwing the ball.  Good teams have good QB's.  Always have always will.  I can only think of a few championship type teams that did not have dominant QB's.  85 Bears (although McMahon was pretty good)  2000 Ravens w Trent Dilfer and the 2002 Bucs w Brad Johnson.  And the 2007 Giants.   (I am not an Eli fan.  But he played well in some big games I must admit-but NO to the HOF!!)

• Like (+1) 3

I’m of the opinion that Morse will be the odd man out and won’t see out his contract.. they can move on from him after this year, although probably will keep him to end of 2021 when they have had time to draft his replacement and get him up to speed...

I think Feliciano gets a new deal at similar money to Spain: 5-6 M per year..

49 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Would anybody be against the Bills if they eventually  were to kick Ford inside, change Dawkins from LT to RT and go and get a big time LT?

Why the expression “ kick” him inside? Not trying to single you out here as I have seen this repeatedly  but don’t understand the references ... who is “kicking” him and why?

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that Feliciano is limited as a starting guard.  What he does have, which increases his value is his adequacy at both guard and center.  I would not extend him right now.  Instead, I would see how things shake out during preseason, if there is a preseason.  If Beane stays true to form, some of the excess on the offensive line is going to turn into extra low round draft picks in 2021.  That's the time that Beane will have to decide about Feliciano. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

What makes you think Dawkins has been our left tackle for a few years and is due for a contract and he’s just gonna flip sides? Quite a bit of money on the line in that new contract since right tackles are not normally paid as well. Plus what if he sucks on the right side? Now he’s paid good money and is worse? Makes no sense to move him. For who? How many elite left tackles are out there to grab? Trent Williams who wants 20 million a year? 40 year old peters? You either pay Dawkins to man the LT position or let him walk or tag and trade him, he ain’t moving. 

• Like (+1) 2