Fun All-Time NFL Team building exercise (c'mon, you know you're bored)

Logic

EVu-tk2XYAM2LgT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

You should be able to click the chart above to make it larger.

Reminder: you MUST pick one player from each row.

Here was mine. I think it's pretty damn good, but let's see what you guys can do!

QB Otto Graham (AAFC)
HB Jim Brown (60s)
FB Bronco Nagurski (30s)
WR Jerry Rice (90s)
WR Randy Moss (2000s)
FLEX Calvin Johnson (2010s)
T Art Shell (70s)
G Walt Kiesling (20s)
C Bulldog Turner (40s)
G Jim Parker (50s)
T Anthony Munoz (80s)

Pound the rock or sling it deep.

I haven't got any frame of reference for the old stuff so I picked a couple solely based on name. I regret nothing.

QB: Johnny Unitas (60's)

HB: Walter Payton (70's)

FB: Bronco Nagurski (30's)

WR: Crazy Legs Hirsch (50s)

WR: Julio Jones (10's)

Flex: Marshall Faulk (00's)

T: Bruiser Kinard (40's)

G: Larry Allen (90's)

C George Trafton (20's)

G: Billy Shaw (AFL)

T: Anthony Munoz (80's)

Edited by Blokestradamus

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

I haven't got any frame of reference for the old stuff so I picked a couple solely based on name. I regret nothing.

C Geroge Trafton (20's)

Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, and Crazy Legs Hirsch is some serious weaponry. Well done.

Side note: More NFL players today should get nicknames like "Bruiser".

It's really hard to take old linemen because they were just so darned small in comparison.  The All-Time defense you would choose would just devour them.  For example Walt Keisling was 250lbs as a Guard.  George Trafton was 230lbs as a center.  Bruiser Kinard was 216(!) as a tackle.  I dare anybody to put a 216lb tackle up against Reggie White who was 290lbs and could throw 300+lb men with relative ease.

QB - Sammy Baugh - 1940s

B - Johnny Blood -1920's

FB/TE - Bronko Nagurski - 1930's

WR - Raymond Berry - 1950's

WR - Paul Warfield - 1960's

FL - Calvin Johnson - 2010's

T - Johnathan Ogden - 2000's

T - Art Shell -1970's

G - Larry Allen - 1990's

G - Bruce Matthews - 1980's

C - Jim Otto - AFL

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Peyton Manning

Barry Sanders

Shannon Sharpe

Marvin Harrison

Jerry Rice

Marshall Faulk

Walter Jones

Tony Boselli

Randal McDaniel

Larry Allen

Dermontti Dawson

I mean, if you're not going to follow the rules of the exercise, sure why not?

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Peyton Manning

Barry Sanders

Shannon Sharpe

Marvin Harrison

Jerry Rice

Marshall Faulk

Walter Jones

Tony Boselli

Randal McDaniel

Larry Allen

Dermontti Dawson

This isn’t how this works, my friend.

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

QB - Sammy Baugh - 1940s

B - Johnny Blood -1920's

FB/TE - Bronko Nagurski - 1930's

WR - Raymond Berry - 1950's

WR - Paul Warfield - 1960's

FL - Calvin Johnson - 2010's

T - Johnathan Ogden - 2000's

T - Art Shell -1970's

G - Larry Allen - 1990's

G - Bruce Matthews - 1980's

C - Jim Otto - AFL

Best offensive line I’ve seen with this exercise. With an OL that beastly, Blood and Bronco should have some big holes to run through!

I get why things like this are fun but they are inherently unfair to the older players.  Guys in the 20's didn't even have stats kept.  Tackle wasn't the end of the line either, that's what the End was for.  There were no wide receivers as we know them so having an End from 1920 in the same column as Randy Moss is inherently unfair.  They were asked to do completely different things and, in the modern game, the 1920's end has the job of the modern TE, not the modern WR.

I also get why they combined FB and TE (so the number of decades would match up neatly) but it makes you cram players who don't belong together in the same pile and then only letting you pick one.  Kellen Winslow and Bronko Nagurski did vastly different things on the football field so it's not even like picking the flavor of TE you want.  Nagurski wouldn't be a FB in the modern sense of the word either, he would be a feature back that you happily hand the ball to, not a blocking back who occasionally catches a swing pass.  So yeah, in 1930 his position was fullback, but again, that term means a completely different thing now than it did then.

On the flip side, if you made the modern linemen play with their hands in and not let them use their hands to block then speed and mobility becomes more paramount.

If you did defense there would be similar problems.  The top CBs from the 70s and earlier would be flagged every play for holding and interference because that's what the rules allowed.  I'm going to work on the assumption that QBs and WRs who were really good in that sort of environment would be much better in the modern game because there would be so much more room to operate.  

I dunno, have fun with it.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I get why things like this are fun but they are inherently unfair to the older players.  Guys in the 20's didn't even have stats kept.  Tackle wasn't the end of the line either, that's what the End was for.  There were no wide receivers as we know them so having an End from 1920 in the same column as Randy Moss is inherently unfair.  They were asked to do completely different things and, in the modern game, the 1920's end has the job of the modern TE, not the modern WR.

I also get why they combined FB and TE (so the number of decades would match up neatly) but it makes you cram players who don't belong together in the same pile and then only letting you pick one.  Kellen Winslow and Bronko Nagurski did vastly different things on the football field so it's not even like picking the flavor of TE you want.  Nagurski wouldn't be a FB in the modern sense of the word either, he would be a feature back that you happily hand the ball to, not a blocking back who occasionally catches a swing pass.  So yeah, in 1930 his position was fullback, but again, that term means a completely different thing now than it did then.

That may be, but in reality, no player from the 20s would make an all-time team. We have far better training and nutrition now than we did then. Athletes were not as athletic as they are now due to that. 

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

It's really hard to take old linemen because they were just so darned small in comparison.  The All-Time defense you would choose would just devour them.  For example Walt Keisling was 250lbs as a Guard.  George Trafton was 230lbs as a center.  Bruiser Kinard was 216(!) as a tackle.  I dare anybody to put a 216lb tackle up against Reggie White who was 290lbs and could throw 300+lb men with relative ease.

Moon, you’re assuming this exercise says current players are competing against guys from far in the past.  You can think of past players playing against past players. Nagurski or anyone else including the great Lombardi coached against 5ose guys and their scheme.  As bright as Lombardi was he would have figured out how to coach against BB.  That man was special.

This was pretty fun to do.

QB: Peyton Manning (2000s)

Back: Jim Brown (1960s)

FB/TE: Bronco Nagurski (1930s)

WR1: Jerry Rice (1990s)

WR2: Don Hutson (1940s)

FLEX: Calvin Johnson (2010s)

OT1: Anthony Munoz (1980s)

OT2: Rosey Brown (1950s)

OG1: Billy Shaw (AAFC/AFL/USFL)

OG2: Mike Michalske (1920s)

Center:  Mike Webster (1970s)

My strategy:

• 1920s and 1930s: Bronco Nagurski seemed like a no-brainer, all time great at a position that has little relevance in the modern game. Also figured picking a dominant guard would make sense and Michalske was All Pro around 7 straight years. Also figured guard was a position that I could fill in with an older era player.
  • Had to have: Jerry Rice and Jim Brown, both considered by many (including me) as the best football players ever. Also Munoz is considered the best OT ever so I wanted him.
  • OG1: Billy Shaw was a bit of a homer choice but he's a HOFer and considered as good as any OLman to come out of AFL. 
  • QB: Lots of good choices pick at end depending on which era was left, though I didn't want Staubach. 2000s had a lot of good players, but the players at the other positions were not significantly better than others. It came down to one of the OTs or Manning.
  • 1950s were a challenge, but Rosey Brown is kind of the first of the modern day OTs and was All Pro 7 straight years. Plug him in at RT good bookend with Munoz.
  • Had to pick one from 1940s and Don Hutson was dominant and revolutionized the WR position. And I have...
  • Calvin Johnson as my flex. Hutson becomes my 3rd WR. 
  • Wanted a top 3 center and while the 1970s is very deep I'll take Webster. 

So my team can go 11 personnel with Peyton Manning at QB, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Calvin Johnson, Don Hutson and Bronco Nagurski, with Webster and Munoz anchoring the line. 

Edited by jwhit34
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

C George Trafton (20's)

Crazy legs was faster than a mo fo