Bed/Mattress in a box - anybody have one? (or a memory foam style mattress)

BillsFan4

I really need a new mattress that will work on an adjustable base bed frame.

I was in the middle of shopping for a new bed when all this coronavirus stuff hit.

Most local mattress stores are closed, and I don’t see being able to have delivery drivers in my house for a while yet (I have a really tricky staircase I was planning on letting them deal with...lol) so I’ve been looking at the different memory foam or memory foam/pocket coil hybrid mattresses that are delivered to your house rolled up in a box - like Purple, Nectar, Helix, Crave, Tuft & Needle (etc).

Anyone have any experience with any of these “bed in a box” mattresses you order online?

Or with a memory foam mattress in general?

If so, any recommendations? How is the support? Does it make you hot at night?

I hear that “purple” mattress is supposed to be good for lower back pain and it seems popular, but it just looks weird with that honeycomb top. 

Im leaning toward one of the hybrid pocket coil/memory foam mattresses like the ones from helix, but I’m a bit apprehensive about ordering one of these online mattresses. I've never bought a mattress without laying on it first. 

I have a Tempur-Pedic mattress and I’ll never use a coil again.  We swapped out the kids and guest room mattresses for medium density foam ones from Wayfair (their house brand).  They aren’t quite as nice as the Tempur-Pedic mattress but they are a big step up from their old coil ones (which were old but expensive).  Both kids barely moved off of them for a month. I’m sure we paid no more in total for the three of them ($300+ each) than we did for ours ($1k+) so there’s that factor too. 

I’m sure the adjustable ones are great too.  The nice thing about ours was that we could really dial it in to exactly what we liked.  The one issue we had with the Wayfair ones is that one didn’t fully expand to shape.  They just sent us another one for free.  I kept it around and in a month it finished expanding (usually takes a day at most).  I didn’t have a use for it at that point so I gave it to a friend who loves it.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I really need a new mattress that will work on an adjustable base bed frame.

I was in the middle of shopping for a new bed when all this coronavirus stuff hit.

Most local mattress stores are closed, and I don’t see being able to have delivery drivers in my house for a while yet (I have a really tricky staircase I was planning on letting them deal with...lol) so I’ve been looking at the different memory foam or memory foam/pocket coil hybrid mattresses that are delivered to your house rolled up in a box - like Purple, Nectar, Helix, Crave, Tuft & Needle (etc).

Anyone have any experience with any of these “bed in a box” mattresses you order online?

Or with a memory foam mattress in general?

If so, any recommendations? How is the support? Does it make you hot at night?

I hear that “purple” mattress is supposed to be good for lower back pain and it seems popular, but it just looks weird with that honeycomb top. 

Im leaning toward one of the hybrid pocket coil/memory foam mattresses like the ones from helix, but I’m a bit apprehensive about ordering one of these online mattresses. I've never bought a mattress without laying on it first. 

We have a memory foam mattress.  It was pretty flexible and we moved it up a "c" shaped 1900's staircase ourselves.  We got a 4-piece base so they weren't a problem, either.  It is a bit hot in summer but not that bad.

My friend M had a "bed in a box" they ordered online, that they decided was causing them back pain, so replaced it with a Sealy Posturepedic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

We have a Tuft & Needle and we're happy with it. My wife is very picky about mattresses, so if she likes it, it's good.

They seem to have a lot of good reviews. By any chance do you know if you have the full memory foam mattress or the hybrid with the memory foam + coils? 

Yea I got a bed in a box, comfortable for me. I got a King... At first I was like... "***** they sent me the wrong size this can't be a king!" All the sudden I unwrapped it and boom it expanded and I had a king bed 10 inch think. Don't remember which one I got but ordered from Amazon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you have an Original Mattress Factory, in your area, they are very good!  They are about the only ones that have a pillow top, on both sides.  You flip it over, and it's like a new mattress again.  We have a King, and flipping it over is a handful, but it does make a big difference.  What we have is about 6 years old now, and still fine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

If you have an Original Mattress Factory, in your area, they are very good!  They are about the only ones that have a pillow top, on both sides.  You flip it over, and it's like a new mattress again.  We have a King, and flipping it over is a handful, but it does make a big difference.  What we have is about 6 years old now, and still fine.

I agree. Plus it’s not a shady store. They don’t run deals and do huge markups. They basically charge you a fair price and don’t hard sell you. It’s really a refreshing shopping experience. 

re the OP, we have gotten some of those mattresses in a box for our kids’ rooms, and they seem pretty good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Yea I got a bed in a box, comfortable for me. I got a King... At first I was like... "***** they sent me the wrong size this can't be a king!" All the sudden I unwrapped it and boom it expanded and I had a king bed 10 inch think. Don't remember which one I got but ordered from Amazon.

Yeah, wild how it comes all rolled up like that and expands to full size, especially compared to the heavy old one that took two guys to haul away.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They seem to have a lot of good reviews. By any chance do you know if you have the full memory foam mattress or the hybrid with the memory foam + coils? 

I don't think it has coils. It came rolled up in a box - after unpacking, it took 24-48 hours to expand.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had a Brooklyn Bedding mattress for a while.  Slept great on it, didn't have any of the heat issues that a lot of memory foam mattresses reportedly have.  Delivered right to my door and was ready to sleep on after being unboxed for 12 hours or so.  Apparently they're running a pretty good sale right now.  Only complaint is that after unboxing I needed to have a window open for a while.  Pretty strong smell of latex when it first gets unwrapped.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have this, had it since mid August, 2018: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SWCHXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best bed I have ever slept on by far. No box spring needed, never sags, sleeps cool. I bought two gel foam mattresses for my kids' bunk beds here at my place, and they absolutely love those. Even convinced my ex-wife to get them over at her place!

I will never go back to a traditional mattress ever again, now that we have this kind of product and ease of use/delivery/setup. The only regret I have is not getting a King-size.

57 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Only complaint is that after unboxing I needed to have a window open for a while.  Pretty strong smell of latex when it first gets unwrapped.

This is true.........good additional point, Levi.

Oh and they are HEAVY. If you buy a King, you really should have a second person to help you move it, even while still in the box and it's manageable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks everyone. I’ve been doing a bunch of reading on adjustable bases and mattresses and I think I’m going to pull the trigger. 

I think I’m going to order this adjustable base from iDealBed.

Anyone have one by any chance? 

https://www.dealbeds.com/idealbed-4i-custom-adjustable-bed-base-wireless-massage-zero-gravity/

They seem well made, especially for the price. 

I’m still undecided on exactly which brand mattress I want, but I’m definitely going to order one. There are lots of good choices. Thanks again for all the recommendations everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I've used one for probably 6-7 years now.  Still sleeping great on it.

Which leads me to a question...Does memory foam wear out?

No, it just gets forgetful.  ?

Are you trying to pick a fight with Guggles?  I see the changed avatar.

• Haha (+1) 2