T.O. says hi.

Say what you will, but Owens was nothing but graceful and classy here despite being what was probably the worst situation of his career.  It would have been easy for him to embarrass the organization and city (and probably wouldnt have gotten an overly negative reaction nationally), and he never went there.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

yep

A year earlier was the infamous MNG against Cleveland where Trent Edwards thru 13 million picks in another painful loss.

can't believe it was that long ago!  It lives in my mind like it was yesterday.  haha.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

The Athletic Story by Matthew Fairburn about TO is excellent.  Buddy Nix's comments are gold....here's one..

https://theathletic.com/1751439/2020/04/17/reliving-terrell-owens-season-with-the-bills-and-that-key-to-the-city/ (Paywall)

Buddy Nix on the signing:

“I had nothing to do with it,” Nix said. “I was a national scout. They did call me at home. I remember standing out in front of my house and telling them, ‘I wouldn’t do that.’ But they did anyway. Listen, a lot of the decisions during that time were made just for what T.O. was signed for: a splash, for tickets, to be relevant.”

Doesn't explain the decision to make that hillbilly the GM....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That may have been the game I texted the fan hotline that Dickie J was ruining my game day experience. 

2 weeks later he got fired

I think it was the Billboard ;) 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Say what you will, but Owens was nothing but graceful and classy here despite being what was probably the worst situation of his career.  It would have been easy for him to embarrass the organization and city (and probably wouldnt have gotten an overly negative reaction nationally), and he never went there.

Absolutely.

I'm surprised that he still acknowledges Buffalo like this. He was here for one season and I would think it's a time he wants to forget. Yet he sends this message and he was here the night Thurman's number was retired.

I give him credit for it. Thanks, T.O.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I loved me some TO :)

I have his jersey and remember the big collectable popcorn bucket?   I bought my GF some popcorn and have the bucket in my man cave  :)

I think he still holds the record for longest TD catch in Bills history 98 yds  :)

Even at 42 I think he could still play the man is in phenomenal shape. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That may have been the game I texted the fan hotline that Dickie J was ruining my game day experience. 

2 weeks later he got fired

Thank you. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JoeF said:

The Athletic Story by Matthew Fairburn about TO is excellent.  Buddy Nix's comments are gold....here's one..

https://theathletic.com/1751439/2020/04/17/reliving-terrell-owens-season-with-the-bills-and-that-key-to-the-city/ (Paywall)

“I had nothing to do with it,” Nix said. “I was a national scout. They did call me at home. I remember standing out in front of my house and telling them, ‘I wouldn’t do that.’ But they did anyway. Listen, a lot of the decisions during that time were made just for what T.O. was signed for: a splash, for tickets, to be relevant.”

Buddy basically threw Russ Brandon under the bus later in the article, essentially saying “Russ and I are friends but he was all about the PR and advertising.”

Of course, as bad as Russ was he still had a better record as GM than Buddy did.  Russ went 7-9 in his lone year as GM.  Buddy never did better than 6-10

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoeF said:

Russ Brandon at his finest as the Bills pseudo GM...

although many Bills fans here kept stating Brandon had nothing to do with player personnel. 

His passion was epic...a’la Diggs. Most of the time I loved it: a man so driven to win and he wasn’t afraid to show it. Over the line at times? Depends on where/who draws the line. 

I met him when he was with the Niners: my ex-wife went to HS with him and we were in NO when they were playing the Saints. Shook his hand and it was VERY awkward as his hand was HUGE (I’m not little at 6’3” and 250 at the time). His hand absolutely enveloped mine so I couldn’t shake ‘normally’. 

He was clearly caring, thankful and appreciative. I was glad when we grabbed him and, once Fitz came in, he was solid. Would have loved to have held onto him for a reasonable contract the next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Count me as a BIG fan of TO.  

As I remember, he called out the organization (when no one else within the team would) when he thought the team could do things better.  I appreciate him a lot for that!  And he always did all he possibly could to prepare and help his team win!  I don’t believe any other city embraced TO as much as Buffalo did. Am I wrong?  Thoughts ? 

And I’m not normally a big fan of these late career signings, but wish the Bills would at least explore this one.  Maybe one year contract (plenty of incentives), no guarantees, invite to camp and see what happens ? TO seems willing.  What’s the downside ? Thoughts ?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Count me as a BIG fan of TO.  

As I remember, he called out the organization (when no one else within the team would) when he thought the team could do things better.  I appreciate him a lot for that!  And he always did all he possibly could to prepare and help his team win!  I don’t believe any other city embraced TO as much as Buffalo did. Am I wrong?  Thoughts ? 

And I’m not normally a big fan of these late career signings, but wish the Bills would at least explore this one.  Maybe one year contract (plenty of incentives), no guarantees, invite to camp and see what happens ? TO seems willing.  What’s the downside ? Thoughts ?

My only thought is it will never happen. Old Bills regimes? Sure. This one? Not a chance in Hell. ? 

30 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

My only thought is it will never happen. Old Bills regimes? Sure. This one? Not a chance in Hell. ? 

I think the Bills want players who are versatile. Owens at his age would be limited. Like he said, a 3rd down/red zone target. Maybe if injuries bite and you're desperate but not now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rico said:

After Fred & Fitzy, TO was my favorite Bill for the last 10+ years of the drought.:thumbsup:

Fred was an all heart player you loved, Fitz plays hard and that has an appeal. But Kyle Williams was my favorite back end drought player (might be my favorite drought player but I have a few others from the early drought years that compete) Kyle played hard, was super good on some bad teams, and just was a likable meatball. But TO that one year was actually a fond memory. He had a few big plays but was clearly past his prime (although still effective) but what made him really likable was that he seemed to respect the team and the city. 

For all the ***** TO gets (justifiably) he wasn't really a problem on the Bills and that is shocking because the team was bad (they did finish 6-10 and got off to a bad start) and there weren't too many other vets or good locker room guys on the team (Some but not a lot.) It was the perfect situation for him to cause at least some controversy here and he didn't really rattle the cage much if at all from what I remember. 

• Like (+1) 1