Is Darrynton Evans Beane’s Draft Crush?

Anyone see a little Fred Jackson? The speed could be deceiving on film because of the competition, but he seems to know when to slow down and allow blocking to develop, and (even more Fred-like) he seems to recognize when DBs are taking bad angles and makes smart (maybe unorthodox) cuts downfield.

14 minutes ago, RoscoeOnTheReturn11 said:

Anyone see a little Fred Jackson? The speed could be deceiving on film because of the competition, but he seems to know when to slow down and allow blocking to develop, and (even more Fred-like) he seems to recognize when DBs are taking bad angles and makes smart (maybe unorthodox) cuts downfield.

Jackson was able to pick and slide through small holes and had some big strength and balance.  He never looked to be in a hurry, but he churned out yards when there didn’t appear to be many to get.  Freddy was a great Bill, but I would not have described him as a speed back and Evans certainly verified fast.  On the other hand, I don’t think you’ll see Evans show the inside running ability at the NFL level that Jackson had.

Edited by OldTimer1960

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Jackson was able to pick and slide through small holes and had some big strength and balance.  He never looked to be in a hurry, but he churned out yards when there didn’t appear to be many to get.  Freddy was a great Bill, but I would not have described him as a speed back and Evans certainly verified fast.  On the other hand, I don’t think you’ll see Evans show the inside running ability at the NFL level that Jackson had.

One of the knocks on Evans is that while he’s elusive, he’s not a great YAC guy.  Not going to break a ton of tackles.

I’m not familiar with him but I’d really rather not take another RB in the top 3 rounds. Is it just me? They seem so interchangeable these days, save a few. 

I have no doubt he’s good given some of the comments here from TBD’ers I really respect but I have difficulty getting past another position of need in the first two draft days for a RB. Am I wrong?

EDIT: just watched highlights. Slippery little devil and clearly very fast. Does his stride look short or was it just the video? Intriguing but I’d still hope it was in the fourth (or later). 

Edited by TroutDog

Per Dane Brugler (The Athletic):

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Appalachian State, Evans was the featured runner in former head coach Eli Drinkwitz’s zone-heavy run scheme. Over his first two seasons, he returned kicks and bounced between running back and slot receiver on the depth chart before becoming the top running back midway through the 2018 season when Jalin Moore went down with an injury. Evans is a speedy, elusive runner who feels openings and makes quick decisions to force missed tackles. While competitive as a runner, he isn’t powerful and won’t be a high-volume yards-after-contact runner vs. NFL defenses. Overall, Evans might be limited by his lack of size and physicality, but he is a chug-to-daylight runner with excellent peripheral vision, projecting as a versatile complimentary back with kick return value. 

GRADE: 3rd Round

• Like (+1) 2

I can add Evans to my wish list of RB's...I'd like the Bills to after 1 of these guys - Akers, Gibson, Moss or Evans...I'm really liking Gibson, he's a 4.3 40 guy at 220# that has great versatility, but only a 1 year wonder...yea I'd be happy with any of these 4 guys unless they feel they need one of the top 4 RB's :)