Is Darrynton Evans Beane’s Draft Crush?

For a while I’ve been thinking that #54 will be the sweet spot to draft a RB, and I still think there will be at least 1 or 2 of the top 4 available when we pick, but I am beginning to think that Beane has other intentions with our first pick.

Evans is a prospect that has really grown on me after doing some research.  Although there remains the small school competition trepidation, similar to Kyle Dugger, he just jumps out at you when you watch him play.

Although not the ideal compliment to Singletary, I think he would be an excellent weapon to have in this offense.  Most of the “draft experts” I’ve seen have him going in the 4th round, but a few recent reports I’ve seen have him possibly going in the 3rd.

It certainly seems like Beane is really interested in him.  What are your thoughts about Evans in the 3rd/4th?  Perhaps DE/DB is the target with our 2nd rounder?

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

For a while I’ve been thinking that #54 will be the sweet spot to draft a RB, and I still think there will be at least 1 or 2 of the top 4 available when we pick, but I am beginning to think that Beane has other intentions with our first pick.

Evans is a prospect that has really grown on me after doing some research.  Although there remains the small school competition trepidation, similar to Kyle Dugger, he just jumps out at you when you watch him play.

Although not the ideal compliment to Singletary, I think he would be an excellent weapon to have in this offense.  Most of the “draft experts” I’ve seen have him going in the 4th round, but a few recent reports I’ve seen have him possibly going in the 3rd.

It certainly seems like Beane is really interested in him.  What are your thoughts about Evans in the 3rd/4th?  Perhaps DE/DB is the target with our 2nd rounder?

I worry a little less about the school size with him. Duggar played in D2. Evans played for a team that was ranked 20 to finish the season. 

Been watching a lot of him the last few days in getting ready for the draft because I firmly believe the Bills will be taking a RB with one of their first 2 picks.  I like this kid a lot.  I know he comes from a smaller program, but with RBs, that doesn't bother me as much.  I think vision is the most important trait in a RB and, if you couple that with the right physical tools, you can play RB in the NFL, or at any level.  A hole is a hole and if a RB can see it, and then has the physical ability to get to the hole they see, then the school they go to doesn't matter to me.

In this case, Evans looks like he fits this bill.  Has the good lateral quickness to get to the small cracks, and then has a 2nd gear to get break away from the defense.  While he may not be the perfect compliment to Motor as they seem to have similar vision, this guy has the breakaway speed that Singletary doesn't.  With all that said, I would love if ths Bills picked this guy.  Him and Motor, while the styles may be similar in some ways, would work together really nicely.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's funny how people say he came from a small program.

Small programs DO NOT get ranked in college football's top 20.

Okay, fair enough, but I think we can all agree that compared to the P5 conference “powers” App State would be considered a small program.  How about comparing the schools of the other top RBs....Georgia, Ohio State, LSU?

I think we’re splitting hairs here.  My point was that some people may be critical of the level of competition he faced relative to the other top RBs.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Okay, fair enough, but I think we can all agree that compared to the P5 conference “powers” App State would be considered a small program.  How about comparing the schools of the other top RBs....Georgia, Ohio State, LSU?

I think we’re splitting hairs here.  My point was that some people may be critical of the level of competition he faced relative to the other top RBs.

No matter how you slice it though................

If Evans goes to the right team, there is no denying his talent.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Evans is a possibility.  3rd at the earliest, preferably 4th.  I like Cam Akers and if it was between he and Evans, I prefer Akers.  However, if you can get Evans a round later than Akers the decision gets harder.  Would be difficult choice to take Evans over Zach Moss, too.

it is entirely possible though that the Bills’ scouts like Evans better than a lot of guys touted higher by many.  

• Like (+1) 3

Wouldn't hate a RB in round 3 but would strongly prefer round 4. I think WR, CB, and DE are much more pressing needs of depth than RB. I actually think RB is a significant need for this team but I think that need could be filled with a 4th or 5th round pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's funny how people say he came from a small program.

Small programs DO NOT get ranked in college football's top 20.

Appalachian State only joined the FBS a few years ago, so people still think of them as an old Division 1-AA school.

Are people aware that Old Dominion is an FBS school too?

I understand your point though. I'm surprised at how people still scoff at players who went to smaller programs or mid-majors. We've seen lots of players come from these schools who went on to have good or great careers in the NFL.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Appalachian State only joined the FBS a few years ago, so people still think of them as an old Division 1-AA school.

Are people aware that Old Dominion is an FBS school too?

I understand your point though. I'm surprised at how people still scoff at players who went to smaller programs or mid-majors. We've seen lots of players come from these schools who went on to have good or great careers in the NFL.

So is Charlotte.

Dream scenario

Someone posts a 420 gas mask video of Josh Jones and he falls to us at 54 and we select him.

We select jonathan greenard in rd 3.

evans falls to rd 4 and we snag him. I’d be in heaven 

I’d be ok taking Evans in rd 3, but it wouldn’t feel like a steal imo

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

So is Charlotte.

I forgot about them.

Same goes for Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio & North Texas.

Not exactly household names when you talk about the FBS.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1