Here’s some salary cap info on the Bills. They spend on their DL, that’s for sure.

Interesting info but I suspect if you looked at the other teams with D-line cap numbers near ours, I would expect them to have one or more ‘elite’ rushers which skew everything. We have a group of pretty good rotational (read: ? D-linemen. 

Thus the danger of only looking at one metric. 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still interesting but needs further fleshing out in my opinion. 

Our DL really isn't very good. Something is wrong if that's where we are spending big $. Oliver is on a rookie deal and still needs to show that he was worth a top 10 pick. I think he'll improve, but how much? Lotulelei is below average and overpaid. Hughes is still above average, but slipping. None of the newest DL signed as FA's this year are anything special. Also, H Phillips may turn out OK, but he's also a big question mark at this point.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not worried about the DL or defense.

Nope, not THIS year. But we DO need to get younger at DE. 

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Our DL really isn't very good. Something is wrong if that's where we are spending big $. Oliver is on a rookie deal and still needs to show that he was worth a top 10 pick. I think he'll improve, but how much? Lotulelei is below average and overpaid. Hughes is still above average, but slipping. None of the newest DL signed as FA's this year are anything special. Also, H Phillips may turn out OK, but he's also a big question mark at this point.

Do you and ScottLaw have a secret handshake, or anything?     :)

• Haha (+1) 7

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nope, not THIS year. But we DO need to get younger at DE. 

Do you and ScottLaw have a secret handshake, or anything?     :)

The group of six, spreading hope and an upbeat message to Bills fans everywhere, ?

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

It does make a lot of sense if the Bills were to take a DL with their first pick in the draft. I’m sure Beane would like to balance the money that is currently tied up with that.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/4/16/21221722/buffalo-bills-investing-heavily-in-defensive-linemen-nfl-free-agency-nfl-draft

Drafting a DL high because we are spending a lot of money on DL is dumb IMO. It's basically saying: we are spending a disproportionate amount of money on DL, so let's allocate a disproportionate amount of our one other resource, draft picks, on DL. It does not make sense. Now is it dumb to pick a DL player early? Not necessarily. 

Does it really even matter where our money/cheap talent(draft picks) is allocated? I understand it makes like easier if top dollar positions are filled with cheap talent (Cb1,DE1,Lt, QB) but as long as you can balance it out so that there are areas you are spending below average, to cancel the above average spending on DL and other positions, you should be fine.

43 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

And yet we were a top 10 team in stopping the run and had good pressure and sack rankings. The defensive line is good and has gotten better.

35 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Drafting a DL high because we are spending a lot of money on DL is dumb IMO. It's basically saying: we are spending a disproportionate amount of money on DL, so let's allocate a disproportionate amount of our one other resource, draft picks, on DL. It does not make sense. Now is it dumb to pick a DL player early? Not necessarily. 

Does it really even matter where our money/cheap talent(draft picks) is allocated? I understand it makes like easier if top dollar positions are filled with cheap talent (Cb1,DE1,Lt, QB) but as long as you can balance it out so that there are areas you are spending below average, to cancel the above average spending on DL and other positions, you should be fine.

Maybe I should clarify a bit. Beane is building through the draft. Replacing older high priced veterans with young draft picks is how you balance a team in many ways. Between the age, contracts and abilities is what every team strives for, it’s perpetual. As one elevator is going down the other is going up. 

This reminds me something that I have been wondering about. This administration is changing our culture, inserting a process and all the while professing love and unity. They haven’t been in office long enough to prove that they will take care of their own with future contracts. I believe they will but it hasn’t been significantly proven yet. I’m talking about the Whites, Dawkins, Phillips, Emunds, Milanos, Oliver’s etc etc. players that they drafted. There has been a lot of short term contracts (1-3 yrs) doled out to older veterans but I’m curious to see how some of the future expensive long term contracts are going to turn out.

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It does make a lot of sense if the Bills were to take a DL with their first pick in the draft. I’m sure Beane would like to balance the money that is currently tied up with that.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/4/16/21221722/buffalo-bills-investing-heavily-in-defensive-linemen-nfl-free-agency-nfl-draft

1. 3 newly signed free agents, all expected to start or play significant snaps, will do that to your cap

2. I also don't agree with who wrote this, regarding Hughes and Murphy.  I just don't see the upside in letting either of them walk, unless their play slips drastically

3. Once we get the likes of Tre, Milano, and Dawkins extended. then our portion of cap allocated to defensive line will naturally go down...just give this another season.

Bottom line, while an interesting piece, this year is likely an outlier and not the rule, for how Beane will utilize Caproom.  We have flexibility to overspend until some big extensions come rolling around the corner.  

A more interesting article would be around "player return" vs contract.  Meaning Josh Allens play this upcoming year might be 90% of his ceiling, but he's not getting paid that yet.  Be very fascinating if someone would assess a roster in a similar metric

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Addison and Jefferson are definite upgrades. Butler too as the 3rd or 4th DL. Looks like they value sending out two very good , fresh DL units , versus one elite line , with hit or miss depth. We have a legit 8 man rotation, if Oliver is as good as I believe he is , he'll make everyone around him better too. Hughes is fine . Murphy is fine. 

Addison is going to surprise some ppl how good he is , he's 32 but that's a prime age for many Edge guys historically. Alot play til 35+ 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

There was an argument made on NFLR by the analysts that teams to compensate for quick release QB’s like Brady, by bolstering more their secondaries than traditionally the D Line.  For now, we are doing both so we have a good D Line, not great, but as a unit, we have a top flight secondary.  This is why someone in another thread was concerned about allowing White to walk.  McBeane knows how much they need White and company.

They are playing it smart as they are trying to manage their cap over a couple of years with strong drafts, as they know eventually they will have to pay Allen.  Even our marquee trade with Diggs is low comparatively speaking for a true #1 WR.  Other true #1’s are getting a lot more than Diggs.  It’s a good five year strategy and possibly beyond for having sustainable success.  This is why we won’t probably see these really high priced free agents go in successive years.  We’ll keep seeing good pick ups like the last two years, but not the OBJ or Clowney types.

11 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Upon what analysis are you basing the opinion that the DL isn’t good?

6 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

I would not be shocked at all if Trent does not make the 53

Cutting him would save $8M.  I think they should approach him about an extension that lowers his salary.

12 hours ago, Motor26 said:

And not one elite edge rusher. Hopefully Oliver can become an elite interior pass rusher.

Maybe that is beane's zag to everyone zig.  You cant stress enough about edge rushers, but if every team is trying to get them and teams are getting OL to protect the edge that means the middle can be neglected.  If we have 2 great interior maulers going up against weaker IOL then the pocket collapses and our edge guys can clean up.  Just my 2 pennies worth

1 minute ago, bkep32 said:

Maybe that is beane's zag to everyone zig.  You cant stress enough about edge rushers, but if every team is trying to get them and teams are getting OL to protect the edge that means the middle can be neglected.  If we have 2 great interior maulers going up against weaker IOL then the pocket collapses and our edge guys can clean up.  Just my 2 pennies worth

The fastest way between 2 points is a straight line theory.  I like it!