Brandon Beane - Please Draft Offensive Playmakers

3 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

This is where I am at

Diggs will command double teams, which will open up things for Brown, Beasley, Knox.

If Knox gets over the dropsies, that's like adding another huge weapon. Get RB, then WR later in the draft. Need to get younger at DE. 

I'll answer you and @Buffalo716 together.  I said "with the exception of DE/Edge" I would like the other 3 picks to go O playmakers.

I want to see a RB1B, someone getting a good share of snaps, another WR and either a RB/FB to expand on DiMarco's role or maybe

another WR/Punt returner to upgrade Roberts role.  A blocking TE (which I think is important in Daboll's system) with a 6th that can

be Smith replacement in 2021 who can be stashed on PS if he doesn't move Smith off his job this year may be considered too. 

9 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

With the trade for Diggs, the bills actually upgraded 3 starting positions on offense, 1 Wr, 2 Wr, and 3 Wr.

True dat... ? As said above, QB as well. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I want Beane to go into the draft looking for offensive playmakers with the first 3 out of 4 picks and maybe a later pick or 2.

There, I said it and feel better already.

Stefon Diggs was a great start but he is the only playmaker upgrade so far.  In fact he is the only starter change on O from last year.

Getting a backup RB (like many have suggested) and calling it a day is the last thing I want to see.

For all the "we need more on Defense" posters I understand your concerns and want to see many of the upgrades too BUT much of that has been

addressed in FA and let's all acknowledge that the D will continue to be "Way above average" this coming year.

Do we think Diggs is all that is needed for the Bills Offense to get "Way above Average"?

The Bills have Allen, Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox and Singletary as starters.  Singletary IMO is not a 65% snap count kind of back.

Knox is still a work in progress and Brown and Beasley are already into their prime age contracts.

If any of these guys are lost for any amount of time who are their replacements?

Yeldon, DiMarco, Kroft, Roberts, Williams, McKenzie, Barkley, Jones and Foster are all FA's next year.  How many of them are needed/wanted for the future?

Lee Smith has 2 years left on his contract.  How many want to see him on the team in 2021?

The other JAG's Croom,  McCloud, Easley, Becker, Webb, Wade, the Professor and Mary Ann are all 50 to 1 long shots.  With exception of Mary Ann!

Let's start rotating out of these above players now with rookies on 4 year cheap contracts and not wait to do it all next year!

With the exception of an Edge Rusher I want Beane to get playmakers to help score as many points as possible and/or establish some decent long term depth.

A consistent Punter wouldn't hurt in the 6th or 7th too.

Singletary took 65% or more of offensive snaps in 10 of 12 games he played in (missed 3 to hamstring injury and sat out week 17).  Those 2 games were week 2, when he got hurt, and week 7 his first game back.  I'm absolutely ok with adding another running back in the draft with picks 2 or 3 though.  We have nothing behind him and if he were to get hurt i think production at the position would suffer.  

But I'm not sure how much we need a WR4 considering Mckenzie Duke and foster totalled like 43 catches in various roles.  I expect beasley's snaps to decrease a bit, and mckenzie would stick as a gadget player and WR4.  I guess it's nice for depth to have someone behind diggs/brown who can slot into that role a bit better than Mckenzie/ roberts should someone get hurt.  However it's hard to find an offense that effectively uses a 4th WR for more than a handful of plays a year though.  If Hill and Watkins don't miss time, i doubt hardman gets 26 catches for the chiefs.  I guess the packers but 3 bad receivers doesn't make the 4th WR important, it just means the WRs were bad.  If someone could be had in later rounds that you believe is better than mckenzie/foster/duke right now - maybe?  

As for TE, the Kroft restructure seems to indicate they're rolling knox, kroft and whomever from smith croom and sweeney.  I expect smith unfortunately.  

14 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Just reading between the lines of various Beane comments, it actually appears that RB is possibly the only skill position he will consider early in the draft. Other than RB, my reading of the tea leaves indicates #54 is likely to be a Dlineman, Olineman, CB or safety - in other words, all non-playmakers.

That said, it may all be a smoke screen and we might still see Beane go playmaker. Edit - T.E. is still possible, but I dont consider it likely after the Kroft restructure.

Edge I agree with but there is no room on the roster for a DT 2nd rounder.  I don't see a C/G at all at 2, maybe an OT.

No way do I see what in essence would be a backup S at 2.  CB in any round is always a possibility but I don't think it's a 2.

1 week to go and we all want to see what Brandon does.  I spoke my mind in the OP LOL. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I want Beane to go into the draft looking for offensive playmakers with the first 3 out of 4 picks and maybe a later pick or 2.

Stefon Diggs was a great start but he is the only playmaker upgrade so far.  In fact he is the only starter change on O from last year.

Getting a backup RB (like many have suggested) and calling it a day is the last thing I want to see.

For all the "we need more on Defense" posters I understand your concerns and want to see many of the upgrades too BUT much of that has been

addressed in FA and let's all acknowledge that the D will continue to be "Way above average" this coming year.

Do we think Diggs is all that is needed for the Bills Offense to get "Way above Average"?

The Bills have Allen, Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox and Singletary as starters.  Singletary IMO is not a 65% snap count kind of back.

Knox is still a work in progress and Brown and Beasley are already into their prime age contracts.

If any of these guys are lost for any amount of time who are their replacements?

Yeldon, DiMarco, Kroft, Roberts, Williams, McKenzie, Barkley, Jones and Foster are all FA's next year.  How many of them are needed/wanted for the future?

Lee Smith has 2 years left on his contract.  How many want to see him on the team in 2021?

The other JAG's Croom,  McCloud, Easley, Becker, Webb, Wade, the Professor and Mary Ann are all 50 to 1 long shots.  With exception of Mary Ann!

Let's start rotating out of these above players now with rookies on 4 year cheap contracts and not wait to do it all next year!

With the exception of an Edge Rusher I want Beane to get playmakers to help score as many points as possible and/or establish some decent long term depth.

I'm in agreement with you.

I still think the Bills should draft two WR's. Foster, Williams, McKenzie and to an extent Roberts can all be replaced, and this year's WR class has many players with good to great potential. We should make our WR corps the very best it can be.

I'm not saying that the Bills should draft a WR in the 2nd round, but definitely consider taking one in the 3rd & 5th rounds. We need another RB too.

The TE class is not that strong this year, so I would take a pass on this position and go with what we have. Drafting a Punter in the 6th or 7th, doesn't bother me at all.

As much as I want to see us go with a lot of offense in this draft, we cannot completely ignore the defense.

When it comes time to pick in the second round, and if Jonathan Greenard and/or Josh Uche are still available, then we need to take one of them. Another CB at some time in the draft would be good too.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea of getting as many playmakers as possible so we can truly give JA every opportunity to reach his potential. It's imperative for the org to know one way or another if he is THE guy moving forward. You don't want to be stuck in the middle area.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Edge I agree with but there is no room on the roster for a DT 2nd rounder.  I don't see a C/G at all at 2, maybe an OT.

No way do I see what in essence would be a backup S at 2.  CB in any round is always a possibility but I don't think it's a 2.

1 week to go and we all want to see what Brandon does.  I spoke my mind in the OP LOL. 

I dont disagree with you about the need for playmakers. We have a solid roster .. but are short on playmakers compared to, say, the Cowboys or the Browns - which was exposed against Texans. Just pointing out that with Diggs acquired and based on various Beane  coments - playmakers other than RB are unlikely at least at the top of the draft.

With respect to your specific post - here are realistic round 2 non-playmaker targets

Dlineman - several but will likely be an Edge rusher / combo player and not a DT

Olineman - Will likely be a Tackle - Isiah Wilson / Ezra Cleveland

Safety - Kyle Dugger / Ashtyn Davis / Jeremy Chinn (all mentioned on TSW pages as well) - these are not long term "backup" safeties IMO

CB - Trevon Diggs! (yes he is seen by some scouts as too much scheme specific - but he is perfect for the Bills' zone coverage schemes), Cameron Dantzler, Damon Arnette

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Singletary took 65% or more of offensive snaps in 10 of 12 games he played in (missed 3 to hamstring injury and sat out week 17).  Those 2 games were week 2, when he got hurt, and week 7 his first game back.  I'm absolutely ok with adding another running back in the draft with picks 2 or 3 though.  We have nothing behind him and if he were to get hurt i think production at the position would suffer.  

But I'm not sure how much we need a WR4 considering Mckenzie Duke and foster totalled like 43 catches in various roles.  I expect beasley's snaps to decrease a bit, and mckenzie would stick as a gadget player and WR4.  I guess it's nice for depth to have someone behind diggs/brown who can slot into that role a bit better than Mckenzie/ roberts should someone get hurt.  However it's hard to find an offense that effectively uses a 4th WR for more than a handful of plays a year though.  If Hill and Watkins don't miss time, i doubt hardman gets 26 catches for the chiefs.  I guess the packers but 3 bad receivers doesn't make the 4th WR important, it just means the WRs were bad.  If someone could be had in later rounds that you believe is better than mckenzie/foster/duke right now - maybe?  

As for TE, the Kroft restructure seems to indicate they're rolling knox, kroft and whomever from smith croom and sweeney.  I expect smith unfortunately.  

I started the thread because I seen a lot of posts about draft needs.  Many of them had abundant reasons for all kinds of defense and OL needed by the team.

It got to the point where many say that after the Diggs trade a backup RB + WR both in the later rounds is all the O needs.  The more I listened to those

posts the more I started feeling that I do not agree with that train of thought.

I started the thread to get a sense as to how many are leaning toward my thinking.  Beane may very well think what others believe but I

will feel a little of a let down if it ends up Diggs and a backup RB with a late round WR.

I do like that you prioritize another RB in the 2nd or 3rd.  So do I.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

This guys are bleh. I like mckenzie but he’s JAG

18 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I dont disagree with you about the need for playmakers. We have a solid roster .. but are short on playmakers compared to, say, the Cowboys or the Browns - which was exposed against Texans. Just pointing out that with Diggs acquired and based on various Beane  coments - playmakers other than RB are unlikely at least at the top of the draft.

With respect to your specific post - here are realistic round 2 non-playmaker targets

Dlineman - several but will likely be an Edge rusher / combo player and not a DT

Olineman - Will likely be a Tackle - Isiah Wilson / Ezra Cleveland

Safety - Kyle Dugger / Ashtyn Davis / Jeremy Chinn (all mentioned on TSW pages as well) - these are not long term "backup" safeties IMO

CB - Trevon Diggs! (yes he is seen by some scouts as too much scheme specific - but he is perfect for the Bills' zone coverage schemes), Cameron Dantzler, Damon Arnette

I do acknowledge that the 2nd round could go the way you are saying.  If that happens great but then the 3,4 and 5 picks going O playmakers

are all the more a priority for me.

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Only spot on offense open on offense a rookie could contribute to right away is RB2.  Other than that they won’t see near the playing time an RB2 would 

Most likely true.  I would ask, other than a rookie rotational DE what rookie defensive player is going to bump a starter this year?

The vast majority of FA $'s went to the D this off season.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I started the thread because I seen a lot of posts about draft needs.  Many of them had abundant reasons for all kinds of defense and OL needed by the team.

It got to the point where many say that after the Diggs trade a backup RB + WR both in the later rounds is all the O needs.  The more I listened to those

posts the more I started feeling that I do not agree with that train of thought.

I started the thread to get a sense as to how many are leaning toward my thinking.  Beane may very well think what others believe but I

will feel a little of a let down if it ends up Diggs and a backup RB with a late round WR.

I do like that you prioritize another RB in the 2nd or 3rd.  So do I.

All depends how the chips fall.  If none of the guys they want fall then go the FA route.  It isn't ideal but there's some decent RB's out there still.

The measuring stick is the Chiefs and if the Bills are unable to score 35 points on a given Sunday, then they're just not good enough.

Defense is only going to get you so far against a team like that, unless you're hoping for injury or a bad day by Mahomes, who has only scored under 25 points just once since he became a starter.

Edited by Chicken Boo

The odds of anyone in the 4th round or deeper making an impact in their rookie season are slim.

So that leaves 2 picks.    You want a WR4?  maybe.  Duke started the Houston playoff game, had some nice plays, blocked his ass off, has chemistry with Josh.  He's 6'3  225lbs and way ahead of any rookie as far as learning this QB and this offense.  Then there's Mckenzie who also will make the team as WR5 and still has blazing speed.   Assuming we have two picks that will contribute this year, not sure if it makes sense to gamble on a WR in the 2nd round who you hope will beat out our 4th WR which is doubtful.

I say if you want a productive offense, get a great offensive line and run game to balance out your passing weapons.  We already have two 1,000 yd receivers, a great slot guy and role players behind them, Singletary is top 12 at his position already.   

Watching the Houston game again, you'll see that we got caved in by their pass rush on critical passing downs. You could have Michael Thomas, DHop and Tyreek Hill as your WR's and it won't matter when your line is getting blown up.  We don't lack playmakers, we lack a good RT and a RB that can pass protect a little bigger than Singletary, but also still be a credible run threat so the defense doesn't know he's just in the game on passing downs. 

Beane was surprised by the solid play of his guards last year, but wanted to develop Cody who we picked high and moved up to get.  The Nseke/Ford split was great experience for the rookie, and he had some good games, but I believe you'll see RT drafted high for us this year, don't freak out if it happens, they're indirect playmakers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1