NFL Preparing for all Options: Including No Fans

TroutDog

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

My guess is that if there’s no crowd the networks try and add simulated crowd noise and maybe the cameras pan less to the seats so you don’t notice it as much. Also could see a “checkers” type seating arrangement where people are sitting far enough apart to keep social distance. 

Think I saw that Taiwan started basesball with cutouts like the movies do to simulate a crowd. I can see that happening here to enforce the social distancing piece. Cut out 3 seats, i seat open..cutout 3 seats, 1 seat open.

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think I saw that Taiwan started basesball with cutouts like the movies do to simulate a crowd. I can see that happening here to enforce the social distancing piece. Cut out 3 seats, i seat open..cutout 3 seats, 1 seat open.

Yup definitely agree. The NFL will get it figured out and hardly miss a beat with their telecast 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I understand that right now we do not have proper test but I bet we have them within 3 months which is July, so then maybe a month delay to real games into October. 

Why so confident? They said there would be millions of tests available a month ago. So far? Crickets.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why so confident? They said there would be millions of tests available a month ago. So far? Crickets.

Three months is obviously much longer than one but mainly because we have only been attacking this problem for 6 weeks right now and some companies know how to make them right now but they must ramp up production.

One thing to add.  With even fanless games there will need to be travel for away teams, officials and network personnel.  Then there’s everything that goes along with travel - hotels, eating catered or restaurant meals, etc, etc.  Not an insurmountable hurdle by any stretch, but it’s one that that they’ll need to get over. 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:01 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I know i am just optimistic, but i think it is way to early to call that yet. I mean we are 4 months from training camp, 5 from games. Lord knows what all the computer and AI in this world can do with treatment options. I think i am in the great majority of people in the middle on this thing...not a hox or overblown, but at some point the risk/reward becomes to great and we open things up soon..and we build herd immunity 

Herd immunity? The deathrate is running at a staggering 5% in the US of those infected.

At some point people are going to lose it.  You can’t keep everything closed for a year until they get a vaccine. 

Even a limited reopening of America means keeping social distancing requirements thus restaurants, bars and anywhere that needs mass gatherings to provide jobs (malls, venues, arenas, stadiums etc.,) will have massive layoffs and/or go under.  

Then the ripple effects of mass unemployment will be felt by everyone.  

It’s not sustainable.  I fully appreciate everyone putting health over the economy to slow the spread and not overwhelm hospitals, and that should continue through May to maximize its effects, but this country can survive a resurgence in cases in the Fall now that we’ve been loading up on PPE, ventilators and such, with state/local governments able to logistically plan for what-if scenarios.. We cannot survive the shutdown, even a semi-shutdown, of the economy until a vaccine is produced.  

Edited by SCBills

On 4/16/2020 at 6:58 AM, shoshin said:

I have been trying to picture this. MLB will be the first league to give this a shot. It probably works fine for baseball since it's a quiet crowd. Football would be hard to imagine in an empty stadium. It would be like watching a scrimmage but where the game had meaning. 

Baseballs idea of having 3 realigned divisions in the cactus and grapefruit leagues would work perfect. Rapid testing would have to be frequent.  Maybe twice a week. The scientists in Oxford are confident there will be a vaccine by late September.  Maybe college and pro football starts off no fans and once the vaccine hits then gates will open.

Imagine how surreal it would be to play in front of no one? Instead of not being able to hear the offensive signals, going with silent snap counts, and everything road teams endure; you could hear a pin drop. There goes home field advantage.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

And how can you allow sports leagues access to tens of thousands of Covid tests when hospitals can't get them? They want to reopen society and the economy but there's not a test to be found.

It’s called the “Golden Rule.” He who has the most gold makes the rules. 

On 4/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, KzooMike said:

I think our path is treatment. If you want to hinge this on a vaccine we won’t have a season. If we can get treatments in place that bring the mortality rate down to what amounts to the flu then we likely get somewhere. With how much is to be gained financially from an effective treatment, I’m bullish. I doubt any virus in the history of mankind will have as much money thrown at it as this one in this short a time. 

IMHO, the key for contact sports having a season would be some kind of treatment to prevent illness upon exposure or mitigate the severity if it does develop.

Because otherwise you're in a situation where a key player on offense or defense tests positive, then the whole team has to be quarantined.  But if you don't quarantine, the opposing team says "wait a minute, maybe I'll be fine or maybe I'll wind up in the ICU for a month for a great spit-squirting tackle and never be the same athlete .....I didn't sign up for that!"

So how would the games take place?

I think it's too early to call what will happen, but in a couple months as we get readouts from good clinical trials we will know a lot more.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:56 AM, BarleyNY said:

One thing to add.  With even fanless games there will need to be travel for away teams, officials and network personnel.  Then there’s everything that goes along with travel - hotels, eating catered or restaurant meals, etc, etc.  Not an insurmountable hurdle by any stretch, but it’s one that that they’ll need to get over. 

If there is a means for doing something like that, save it for the health care providers and first responders. Don't waste it on people who sports. Sportsing is not important

On 4/17/2020 at 8:18 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Except in Jacksonville....for a more realistic look it should be one cutout, 3 empty seats, one cutout, 3 empty seats.....

...and every other row is empty....

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m seeing that many states are starting a phased re-opening in May.  Once restaurants, subways, barbers, etc open, the chances for football improve.  All through this, medical workers have been in close quarters along with retail workers, and essential operations have managed to continue. I don’t know the stats for their infection, but I’m sure there will be strategic testing soon that will allow near normal operations in most situations, including football, albeit no fans or few fans.  (Maybe there’s enough high school and college fields in Montana.  There is a Buffalo but I don’t know if they have a field.  LOL!) MLB and golf will be the litmus tests.  My hope is that we’ll see Josh Allen throwing TD passes by Oct.  Go Bills!!!

This vegas oddsmaker figured out the odds of someone getting Covid-19 at a sporting event in various places in North America 'IF' current social distancing stays in place.

Looking at crowds around 20,000 he figured for Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto the odds would be up to 13.82% June 1, 23.04% June 15, and 2.12% July 1st

1913586989_ScreenShot2020-04-18at4_39_13PM.thumb.png.e6dd7ec5675145a978f84ed067e5a173.png

The US numbers have a greater range

Yankee stadium on July 1st would be down to 0.02%
Miami would be way up at 13% on July 1st

Be real interesting to see how things play out in Florida with the rolled out return to normal.  

"“So it’s: Hold off, because if we started early and the cases ramp back up again, we’d potentially cause a second peak and the seasons would be done, and then potentially the 2020-21 seasons are in jeopardy, too.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2020/04/17/the-odds-of-professional-sports-returning-before-july-arent-good-if-theyre-paying-attention-to-the-odds.html?fbclid=IwAR0soG2_SPr1vD_U9R2OvX3ZP6QkTCjdXRDGHiIRzQttI_c0VyoK9RF9Rz8

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? It’s April dude. We have no idea.

Actually i do have a pretty good idea since my company provides nothing but client entertaining events worldwide. Good luck going to any concert prior to 2021. Most companies are banning ALL in person events until 2/21. Football MAY be the 1 exception but with no fans.