NFL Preparing for all Options: Including No Fans

TroutDog

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Trout, I think you’re comments are plausible.  If they have an accurate rapid test, you can see players and staff getting tested before any contact in practices, and games.  The fans in the stands I don’t believe will happen.  They won’t take any chances unless they have a vaccine which is doubtful.  My father unfortunately because of his age doesn’t know why they aren’t using more widespread the hydroxychloroquine as a treatment.  I told him, there are serious risks of cardiac and retinal problems so only being used on the most sick.

We just don’t have an effective treatment yet.  I love football as much as all of you, but not at the risk of this pandemic starting up again given the assumption things tail off over the summer.

The fans in the stands would fix itself if people were smart. I love going to one home game and one road game a year. It’s a treat I look forward to every year. I can’t imagine a scenario where I will attend a game this season with 65,000 other people crammed into a stadium with me. You guys are great.....but I’ll probably pass anyway. :)

Unfortunately, the average fan has as much sense as the people attending spring break or Mardis Gras. It will probably be strictly a TV event if it happens at all, at least initially. 

Having said all that, that’s waaaay down the road at this point, and I’m hoping for some miracle solution from some of the very smart people working on both the virus and how we can get back to a new “normal”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Next year will be funny when the refs throw a social distancing personal foul flag when a defensive player comes within 6' of Tom Brady.  Oh wait...

it would not surprise me if zebras made up a rule like the "tucks" rule which gave me diarrhea. 

Tuck_Rule_Game.jpg041388008776.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

Honestly just hold the games at like HS/Juco/ Smaller college stadiums. Limited seating, environment is more open, don’t need concessions etc, don’t worry about season ticket holders complaining cause it’s not for the seats they paid for. Just put the tickets up for sale, maybe 5k fans tops, sale the tickets in fashion where  fans would sit every other row, every other seat.... 

just bored but games without fans is not football. 

University of Buffalo Stadium is pretty open to the environment, sits 25k, you could sell 5-7k tickets no problem and keep everyone in social distancing parameters...

Edited by CEN-CAL17

11 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The problem is the players. Without a vaccine, it is likely inevitable that a player will test positive during the season. What happens to that team and that locker room?

If they get players to sign a waiver and the NFLPA goes for it I guess it could happen. Would you want a season to have happened if Mitch Morris gets COVID and our entire offense is out for 2-3 weeks and essentially wastes the season anyway?

I know we all want this to happen but it is problematic. 

What will happen?.....Maybe the same thing that happens when a regular citizen going to work this fall gets the rona

Edited by TH3

10 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The problem is the players. Without a vaccine, it is likely inevitable that a player will test positive during the season. What happens to that team and that locker room?

If they get players to sign a waiver and the NFLPA goes for it I guess it could happen. Would you want a season to have happened if Mitch Morris gets COVID and our entire offense is out for 2-3 weeks and essentially wastes the season anyway?

I know we all want this to happen but it is problematic. 

Players, officials, coaches, support staff, filming crews, director, analysts. You're talking about maybe 200 people there for something that isn't essential

We've been doing this a month.  Over 20 million have lost jobs already.

I'm not one of those who thinks this is any kind of hoax, but at some point you have to look at the risk of the virus vs. the risk of millions of lives being ruined & thrown into poverty.

Sports can't wait a year.  Start without fans. Move to partially filled stadiums. And so on.   But they need to get on w/ it sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Next year will be funny when the refs throw a social distancing personal foul flag when a defensive player comes within 6' of Tom Brady.  Oh wait...

In other words, SOME things will be back to normal...

• Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not understand how people expect large crowd events until there is herd immunity or a good and tested vaccine. I can go a long time without being at a game if I can watch on TV.

My mindset is that 5 months will pass between now and the start of the regular season, and 3 months ago, you just started to hear this novel coronavirus. So I think there is still alot to learn about it, that could work to our advantage. If the season starts a month or two late, that could work as well. But i don't think we will have to wait until 2021 to have football again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not understand how people expect large crowd events until there is herd immunity or a good and tested vaccine. I can go a long time without being at a game if I can watch on TV.

And how can you allow sports leagues access to tens of thousands of Covid tests when hospitals can't get them? They want to reopen society and the economy but there's not a test to be found.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And how can you allow sports leagues access to tens of thousands of Covid tests when hospitals can't get them? They want to reopen society and the economy but there's not a test to be found.

I understand that right now we do not have proper test but I bet we have them within 3 months which is July, so then maybe a month delay to real games into October. 

14 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

If there are no fans, then let’s hope that there is a sufficient work around of the Direct TV exclusivity deal, and that fans can stream games, with a portion of that new revenue going to the owners. 

You can count on the money tree to be in full bloom. 

12 hours ago, jrober38 said:

To your second, I think they'll find a way to play in front of empty stadiums. The NFL knows it's fan base is very conservative

I think they'll come up with some sort of system where players are quarantined, tested every 3 days, etc to try their best to ensure a safe work environment. Not sure it will work, but if any league will prioritize money over health it's definitely the NFL. 

If South Korea can keep restaurants open; the NFL will find a way to milk the cash cow. Players will have a say but they will be all in. They need the money just like Pegs, Jerry, Robert, et al.

I think our path is treatment. If you want to hinge this on a vaccine we won’t have a season. If we can get treatments in place that bring the mortality rate down to what amounts to the flu then we likely get somewhere. With how much is to be gained financially from an effective treatment, I’m bullish. I doubt any virus in the history of mankind will have as much money thrown at it as this one in this short a time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, shoshin said:

I have been trying to picture this. MLB will be the first league to give this a shot. It probably works fine for baseball since it's a quiet crowd. Football would be hard to imagine in an empty stadium. It would be like watching a scrimmage but where the game had meaning. 

I watched plenty of college football where they had no crowd. Even Charger, Jag, & Titan games were not noticable so we have seen games with no crowd and it didn't matter.

Edited by Hardhatharry

2 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

I watched plenty of college football where they had no crowd. Even Charger, Jag, & Titan games were not noticable so we have seen games with no crowd and it didn't matter.

My guess is that if there’s no crowd the networks try and add simulated crowd noise and maybe the cameras pan less to the seats so you don’t notice it as much. Also could see a “checkers” type seating arrangement where people are sitting far enough apart to keep social distance. 

11 hours ago, Success said:

We've been doing this a month.  Over 20 million have lost jobs already.

I'm not one of those who thinks this is any kind of hoax, but at some point you have to look at the risk of the virus vs. the risk of millions of lives being ruined & thrown into poverty.

Sports can't wait a year.  Start without fans. Move to partially filled stadiums. And so on.   But they need to get on w/ it sooner rather than later.

Great Point, you know what breeds an unstable health situation too is poverty.  I don't think some people the trickle down effect of keeping things shut down.  The health system will collapse if this shutdown continues.  Who is going to pay these hospital bills when there will be 50 million people without job/no health insurance.  State Governments will collapse too, without tax revenue.  When that happens things get cut & not little things, things like police presence and such.  It won't be safe to leave your house anymore & may not even be safe in your house.  People that want to shut this country down until there is a vaccine or until there are no more case just don't understand how economics and this country work.  It is all about risk/reward.  Most people are going to chose to live their lives and take the risks.  The damage down to this economy is going to take years to recover as it is now, the longer this lock down goes on the more permanent damage their will be.  Hopefully they will get some reliable treatments and this will be nothing more than a minor inconvienance in the near future.  

• Like (+1) 2