Thor Deadlifting 1,102 pounds !! Saturday 12 noon 5/2/20

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

chandler, you’re welcome to you’re opinion, but as a past US Champion power lifter, I strongly disagree.  My team was the #1 in the nation in the late 90’s, and you have no idea how much technique is involved in squatting, deadlifting and benching, not to mention Olympic style lifting.  Our heavyweight used to have the world record squatting over 1000 lbs, and competitively benched 730 lbs, which is with a press call.

BB, thanks for sharing.  I know you’re still competing and keep it up.  I’ll give you this Chandler, a meet is a long day, and from the outside can look boring, but then again, me watching golf is like getting my appendix taken out without anesthetic.  Having said, that my family and friends love golf.  I don’t care, just not for me.

Ok, fair enough. My Son and SonInLaw both power lift. A couple regional competitions -but mostly cuz they choose to look like Hercules. Son is a pro wrestler, SiL a fireman/EMT. 

I was just mocking all the exclamation points in the thread title about the ‘FANTASTIC RETURN TO LIVE SPORTS! WE’RE SAAAAVED!!’

The audience for this ‘sport’ is pretty limited as most people don’t aspire to look like or do this. A 9 Ball tournament would hold a greater audience as most everybody can play and understands the concepts.

s’all I’m sayin’..

99416568-D99C-42CC-ACCC-0E19F7864CE7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Not to grind the gears of anyone in particular, but I have always argued that Golf was an activity, not a sport.  when you argue something is not a sport, it's basic definition is whether or not there's a competition against opponents, and an outcome of loss or victory.  this does feel like an activity, but it's a sport none the less.

I'll argue to my own demise in the face of the facts above that golf is an activity, much like mowing my lawn is.

You can sit on a riding lawnmower so that’s not even activity. Now, pushing those old non-motor mowers was sport! ? Not a big fan of watching golf either, but it does have the minimal essentials I expect in a sport. All limbs of the body are involved in a highly practiced routine to compete and perform a physical and athletic contest. Basketball, Hockey, Football, Baseball, bowling -among others- fit this bill. Soccer forbids hands and arms so it doesn’t measure up as giraffes can excel at the activity. Ditto horse racing. 

22 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

chandler, you’re welcome to you’re opinion, but as a past US Champion power lifter, I strongly disagree.  My team was the #1 in the nation in the late 90’s, and you have no idea how much technique is involved in squatting, deadlifting and benching, not to mention Olympic style lifting.  Our heavyweight used to have the world record squatting over 1000 lbs, and competitively benched 730 lbs, which is with a press call.

BB, thanks for sharing.  I know you’re still competing and keep it up.  I’ll give you this Chandler, a meet is a long day, and from the outside can look boring, but then again, me watching golf is like getting my appendix taken out without anesthetic.  Having said, that my family and friends love golf.  I don’t care, just not for me.

thanks MGK, yep im still training and am actually doing better than i ever have, wish i listened to my body a lot sooner.

what was your team and who was your heavyweight? 

I would say strongman is a lot more fun to watch and is why it is growing in popularity, even though this is a Deadlift many want to see it and is why ESPN is putting it on.  Granted sports is dead right now but they could have just left it on the internet just the same.

22 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Completely agree, Was the other one Eddie Hall or Z?

You still lifting? I was getting so close to putting up 405 on the bench then....COVID happened. and that's crazy you were on a #1 team, kudos to you!

it was Eddie, he retired to get into acting and be a promoter. He has movies in the works and various business deals , one being with Arnold.

His YouTube is pretty entertaining as is Brian Shaw's , Martins Licis and Thor's.

16 hours ago, driddles said:

The problem with lifting for people like me who don't find it interesting is that it is usually not presented well.  Just a bunch of guys lifting weight.

On the other hand I watched a show about a group of guys trying to carry some stones across a bridge in Scotland and it was interesting, but only because they got into the history and how few people had been able to carry the stones across the bridge.  So by the time the lifting happened there was a chance to buy into the storyline.

See how this goes, maybe they will get into the history besides the current record holder says Thor is a cheater and it wont count so you got some drama to go with it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/16/2020 at 4:31 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Very loose adaptation of the word Sport. This is less of a sport than soccer and far more boring. At least ‘kick ball’ has some running and clever footwork..

Guess what I won’t watch, regardless of the novelty. Now, see me in a month and I may change my tune..

Try it sometime.

At our powerlifting gym, I’ve seen some of the fittest athletes in the area straight pass out trying some of these strongman events.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Not to grind the gears of anyone in particular, but I have always argued that Golf was an activity, not a sport.  when you argue something is not a sport, it's basic definition is whether or not there's a competition against opponents, and an outcome of loss or victory.  this does feel like an activity, but it's a sport none the less.

I'll argue to my own demise in the face of the facts above that golf is an activity, much like mowing my lawn is.

If you can smoke cigarettes and still be very good at it, it is not a sport, Golf, I’m talking to you... 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 4:36 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Strongman is a sport, thank you very much and someone lifting over 1100 pounds is a greater achievement than most sports championships. Only one other man in the history of the world has done this much.

Oh here we go....

8 hours ago, BritBill said:

I've got some video tapes to take back.

Pretty sad you guys dont know that your fellow countryman holds the world record.

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I clicked thinking this was going to be a post about who would win in a fight between...

35BFA65C-4ECA-47D1-A100-0B1A07AE469A.jpeg

3DB1C7FF-6E60-4049-8111-A7F4DB58F673.gif

but it is ;)

4 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

But can he play RT?

and left