Bills in talks with both Dawkins and Milano (Both represented by the same agency)

On 4/16/2020 at 5:19 AM, longtimebillsfan said:

We need to lock up Tre.  I am tired of seeing All pro corners start their careers with the Bills and spend the remainder of their career with another team.  Sign him now!

Can you imagine this place if we trade that pick with Mahomes and Watson still on the board, and don’t re-sign the guy (Tre) we traded down to select instead. Hahaha

37 minutes ago, Mango said:

Can you imagine this place if we trade that pick with Mahomes and Watson still on the board, and don’t re-sign the guy (Tre) we traded down to select instead. Hahaha

totally! You figure you get the 5th year option and at least 1 franchise tag. So he’s here at least 3 more years. Worst case scenario is that he plays here 8 years and walk as a free agent at like 29. That’s not awful but I think we are better off keeping him here. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well aware of that. Trading him means they let him walk.

No, trading means they got something in return for him. Letting him walk means he leaves for nothing except maybe a comp pick. 

Music to my ears. Dawkins is a guy who I like a lot, it’s fantastic news that we’re looking to bring him back and the same goes for Milano to a lesser degree. The bottom line is the bottom line though. If they’re willing to sign reasonable deals is the question. Wouldn’t break the bank for Milano but for Dawkins I think it’s pretty important we get him signed long term. It’ll be interesting to see the numbers.

On April 16, 2020 at 6:03 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Clements was a great player for the Bills. TD got him after trading down 7 spots and picking up a 2nd round pick. I wasn't thrilled at the time, but remember; corners were less important than they are today. He was an excellent corner and a great punt returner.

I remember articles that said that his wife wanted no part of Buffalo. Levy hit him with the Franchise Tag and "promised" him to let him go after 1 season. This is a sample of the idiocy we were faced with.

He signed a huge contract with the 49ers and wasn't anywhere close to being the player he was on the Bills. I don't know if it was due to injuries or if he lost his desire after the big cash.

Time does fly.

This is odd way to admit I was right all along with my chess piece analogy about corners.....but apology accepted.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Corners are like bishops and knights and your beloved linemen are like pawns.  Ring a bell?

Good call. I mean after all, using our best picks on DBs brought us just so many championships! Good thing we didn't draft Mahomes!!!

And yes, corners are far more important than pass rush. Pressure and sacks are an afterthought. A "shut down" corner can stay with his man for at least 10 seconds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

On 4/16/2020 at 6:09 PM, Bill from NYC said:

We are Bills Fans. Long time Bills Fans. The history of the Bills is our reference. Many of the same stupid mistakes have been made time and again. We drafted Tre White in lieu of Mahomes and Watson. Who would you like to blame for this? Marv Levy?

Some of us who have been long time fans need to see a real difference. We need to see an escape from the years of dumb decisions. It looks better now but there is still much to prove, wouldn't you say?

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t like the example. When Mahomes and co. were drafted, the Bills were going through a complete front office, head coach, gm transition. McD was a new hire, Doug Whaley was walking deadman about to get canned, and Beane was hired post-draft. The intel and scouting of quarterbacks that year was extremely limited and brief bc of that.  I’m sure there was a lack of trust. You can tell by the pick that McD had his hands all over the draft. He picked a safe option to him, inside his spec of knowledge...defensive secondary. It worked out in the sense they got an all-pro player at a valuable position, but the transition in the building lended to an inability to tie the franchise to certain players, being changes in culture, scheme fits, etc. I can understand blaming the initial hire of Rex for certain things that happened in the future, but I can’t hold the current hierarchy responsible for that “miss.”

On 4/16/2020 at 6:09 PM, Bill from NYC said:

We are Bills Fans. Long time Bills Fans. The history of the Bills is our reference. Many of the same stupid mistakes have been made time and again. We drafted Tre White in lieu of Mahomes and Watson. Who would you like to blame for this? Marv Levy?

Some of us who have been long time fans need to see a real difference. We need to see an escape from the years of dumb decisions. It looks better now but there is still much to prove, wouldn't you say?

If this leadership group doesn’t strike you as drastically different than everyone since Polian... I’m not sure what to tell you. 

The Mahomes and Watson debate is tired and old. Trubsisky was the #1 QB taken that year. 9 teams passed on Mahomes and 11 passed on Watson. There was no consensus on who was the best of the bunch... 

McDermott was without his GM... it would be a move of “Bills Old” to let the GM and his staff very clearly on their way out (Doug Whaley) to draft the most important position on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

If this leadership group doesn’t strike you as drastically different than everyone since Polian... I’m not sure what to tell you. 

The Mahomes and Watson debate is tired and old. Trubsisky was the #1 QB taken that year. 9 teams passed on Mahomes and 11 passed on Watson. There was no consensus on who was the best of the bunch... 

McDermott was without his GM... it would be a move of “Bills Old” to let the GM and his staff very clearly on their way out (Doug Whaley) to draft the most important position on the field. 

This. 

If you can’t see the CLEAR difference between the drought era GM/coach combos and Beane/McDermott, then I sincerely question what you’re even looking at.

And if your answer is “let’s see results!”, I would point to two playoff trips in three years — WHILE executing a complete rebuild — when no other Bills team had made it in 17 years.

They are demonstrably and unquestionably highly competent. I don’t know what else to say.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

It does, and is clearly superior. My thing is that we desperately needed a QB. It could have been Mahomes or Watson (who was a champion).  And, many teams that passed on these 2 already had a qb in place. 

Blame who you will but imo this is not something to just write off and excuse. It was a continuation of idiocy. I don't see why this should be so hard to accept. Hopefully things will change but this was just another prime example (however temporary) of stupid moves by the Bills front office.

19 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Ya their plan was clearly to stock up on draft picks and let the new gm pick the qb  of the future next year. At the time the next qb class was thought to be far superior to the Mahomes one also 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

It does, and is clearly superior. My thing is that we desperately needed a QB. It could have been Mahomes or Watson (who was a champion).  And, many teams that passed on these 2 already had a qb in place. 

Blame who you will but imo this is not something to just write off and excuse. It was a continuation of idiocy. I don't see why this should be so hard to accept. Hopefully things will change but this was just another prime example (however temporary) of stupid moves by the Bills front office.

Yes, Deshaun Watson was a College Football National Champion. You know what other quarterbacks were...? Matt Leinert (2004), Vince Young (2005), Matt Flynn (2007), AJ McCarron (2011), Cardale Jones (2015). Real top notch crew... all played for Buffalo at one point! 

The Browns, Bears (who took a QB other than Mahomes/Watson), Jaguars, Titans, Jets all needed a QB. That’s 5 teams that passed on those guys and 1 that not only chose a different QB but traded from pick #3 to pick #2 that night to ensure that they got a QB other than Mahomes/Watson. 

It can’t be a continuation of idiocy when the current regime, in its entirety wasn’t in place. I’m pretty sure we have 0 members of Football Operations from the draft and they were all let go when Beane came in... which was after the draft. You don’t let a lame duck GM make a franchise altering decision... McDermott had to operate off the information that Whaley’s scouts produced... not his scouts, not Beane’s scouts. 

Also, saying we desperately needed a QB is a stretch. Tyrod was a consistent albeit unspectacular QB that was at the helm when we broke the drought... that another team valued enough to give us a 3rd round pick when it was obvious we would cut him AND the San Diego Chargers are going to start this year. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Also, saying we desperately needed a QB is a stretch. Tyrod was a consistent albeit unspectacular QB that was at the helm when we broke the drought... that another team valued enough to give us a 3rd round pick when it was obvious we would cut him AND the San Diego Chargers are going to start this year. 

Wow. Just wow. Can you ever recall a dumb move that the Bills made? :) 

You are lucky and I am not joking. I am sure that I would be a happier person if I was a blind, one way of thinking optimist.