Bills in talks with both Dawkins and Milano (Both represented by the same agency)

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We need to lock up Tre.  I am tired of seeing All pro corners start their careers with the Bills and spend the remainder of their career with another team.  Sign him now!

To be honest the Mcaffery contract is exactly what I would give White. Any more and I would rather draft a CB than have to pay Tre over 20+ per year.

5 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

I like Milano, however for the 12-13 million or so people are projecting him to get, I'd let him walk to be honest.  Can't pay everyone

Whenever Milano is out it definitely shows on the field. He is a top tier cover LB that is a solid tackler.  

51 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Whenever Milano is out it definitely shows on the field. He is a top tier cover LB that is a solid tackler.  

I completely agree.  However when I look at Dawkins, Tre, Allen, Edmunds and even Oliver, he's lowest on the totem poll for me.  And I understand a few of those guys are a couple years down the road, but he will want a 4-5 year contract and all those guys will need to be taken care of in that time.  Even 5th year options add a big salary jump.  

6 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We need to lock up Tre.  I am tired of seeing All pro corners start their careers with the Bills and spend the remainder of their career with another team.  Sign him now!

Who are these all-pros other than Gilmore?

Maybe Winfield was 2nd team I can’t remember

Edited by CaptnCoke11

6 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Who exactly are you talking about? Winfield and Gilmore?

They need to sign these guys early start talking to them now to let them know they want them around for the long term don't give them a chance to test the market because then they are gone especially when they find out what some wing nut like Daniel Snyder is willing to pay for players that he doesn't have on his roster !

Just look at what Norman got paid by Snyder if TDW is able to test the market he's gone ... Make it happen McBeane !! 

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Can you just picture the same rep from their agency arguing the case for both players?

"Dawkins is the real deal!  Take some of that 'Milano Money' and give it to Dawkins!"

"Milano's the man!  Take some of Dawkins' cash and slide it over to my boy Matt!"

Note that this might have been a valid strategy when 'Hayseed' Nix was running the show.

?

It COULD be worse. One agent refused to negotiate for a Bills player before he Bills handled contract of another player.  He worked for both players and if Bills wanted to negotiate on a player it should not be held up because agent wants to negotiate for other first.

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Actually, it makes sense to do those two first. 

Tre’s value really can’t go up much more as he can’t play better (relatively speaking) and the market isn’t likely to go up much more. Ramsey will probably add a couple mil, but I don’t think that’ll jack up the market all that much. 

Dawkins and Milano can both greatly increase their value next year as each have another step to take in their development. So if we’re betting on them taking that step, it makes sense to lock them in now. 

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

The three I was thinking of was Winfield, Gilmore, and Nate Clements.  Clements may not hav been an all-pro, but he was good for us and I hated to see him go.

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Actually, it makes sense to do those two first. 

Tre’s value really can’t go up much more as he can’t play better (relatively speaking) and the market isn’t likely to go up much more. Ramsey will probably add a couple mil, but I don’t think that’ll jack up the market all that much. 

Dawkins and Milano can both greatly increase their value next year as each have another step to take in their development. So if we’re betting on them taking that step, it makes sense to lock them in now. 

I agree.  I just don't like the idea of letting Tre get to his last year before negotiating.  But I may be just a little impatient. 

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Clements.

Thank you.  Those are the three I was thinking of.

Not sure if Clements was an all-pro.

I think the timming is important.

if the players ask for more money the bills want to pay, having a draft  in a week with no clear hole in the roster, give yo the oportunity to draft a future replacement.

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure why you think this. For decades we have seen these first round DBs want to leave. The man might not want to be here. Who knows?

Fwiw I would LOVE to see him stay to diminish our chances of drafting another first round DB.

I don’t understand why people try to draw comparisons and act like past regimes decisions are going to influence present and future regimes decisions. 

When ownership is the same, I’m more tolerant of the comparison, but the Pegula family has not owned the team for decades. 

Yes, under the Pegulas and McBeane we let Gilmore walk with no attempt of resigning him... but that was because the short term (and long term) plan was to clean up the salary cap situation. 

Don’t mean to seem like I’m blowing up on you... your post just caught my attention. This is a common analysis by a lot of people across multiple sports. Including sports writers. I just find it to be a waste of time to play that game when front offices and staff and personnel turn over as much as they do. There’s no real pattern. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Thank you.  Those are the three I was thinking of.

Not sure if Clements was an all-pro.

Clements was a great player for the Bills. TD got him after trading down 7 spots and picking up a 2nd round pick. I wasn't thrilled at the time, but remember; corners were less important than they are today. He was an excellent corner and a great punt returner.

I remember articles that said that his wife wanted no part of Buffalo. Levy hit him with the Franchise Tag and "promised" him to let him go after 1 season. This is a sample of the idiocy we were faced with.

He signed a huge contract with the 49ers and wasn't anywhere close to being the player he was on the Bills. I don't know if it was due to injuries or if he lost his desire after the big cash.

Time does fly.

While I can understand guys who want to see White locked up asap, there are certain realities that need to be dealt with.

Namely that both Dawkins and Milano are (in theory) about to start their last years on their current deals. White can wait, and tbh, he should. Next off-season is the time to get his deal done, as his contract will be at the same point that Dawkins and Milano are now.

Getting Dawkins and Milano done now, gives us our best chance of both keeping their numbers lower, and retaining them.

Players like to have a degree of certainty about their future, and will, to an extent, be prepared to take a little less, to get that certainty, assuming the offer is a fair one.

In the current, highly uncertain, climate, I would be looking to get a new deal inked, if I was either a player or an agent. There are so many imponderables atm, that banking a signing bonus, makes an awful lot of sense, when there may, or may not, be game checks forthcoming.

47 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t understand why people try to draw comparisons and act like past regimes decisions are going to influence present and future regimes decisions. 

When ownership is the same, I’m more tolerant of the comparison, but the Pegula family has not owned the team for decades. 

Yes, under the Pegulas and McBeane we let Gilmore walk with no attempt of resigning him... but that was because the short term (and long term) plan was to clean up the salary cap situation. 

Don’t mean to seem like I’m blowing up on you... your post just caught my attention. This is a common analysis by a lot of people across multiple sports. Including sports writers. I just find it to be a waste of time to play that game when front offices and staff and personnel turn over as much as they do. There’s no real pattern. 

We are Bills Fans. Long time Bills Fans. The history of the Bills is our reference. Many of the same stupid mistakes have been made time and again. We drafted Tre White in lieu of Mahomes and Watson. Who would you like to blame for this? Marv Levy?

Some of us who have been long time fans need to see a real difference. We need to see an escape from the years of dumb decisions. It looks better now but there is still much to prove, wouldn't you say?

7 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yup.  Bills have let several DBs walk over the years who never lived up to their new deals elsewhere.  Odomes, Byrd, Clements come to mind immediately.

The word "talks" usually implies "negotiations."  I did not get that context  from the comments Beane made.  I got that he had merely reached out to their representation to present a timeline of when the Bills thought it made sense to have "talks."   But, maybe I missed something.