The Last Dance

BillsPride12

I loved seeing the Bad Boys beating the crap out of the Bulls again, now that was when basketball was basketball! :thumbsup:

No mention of how the NBA imposed their internal "Jordan Rules", which allowed MJ to travel to the basket untouched. :thumbdown:

I'm not a basketball/NBA fan by any stretch but what I am fascinated by is sports people who are the best of the best. Think Tiger Woods, Shane Warne etc. I know very little of Michael Jordan other than him being recognised as one of the finest athletes/sportsmen ever. 

I know even less of Rodman, Pippen and the rest of the great Chicago Bulls team of the 90s. 

I watched the first episode of this and it hooked me straight away. Just imagine being part of that scene? It's unfathomable to mere mortals.

You have to liken it to the Liverpool/Man Utd soccer dynasties in the 80s and 90s. The great West Indies and Australia cricket teams who dominated for years with special players regarded as the best ever to pay their respective sports. 

I'll try and catch up over the weekend. 

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

I'm not a basketball/NBA fan by any stretch but what I am fascinated by is sports people who are the best of the best. Think Tiger Woods, Shane Warne etc. I know very little of Michael Jordan other than him being recognised as one of the finest athletes/sportsmen ever. 

I know even less of Rodman, Pippen and the rest of the great Chicago Bulls team of the 90s. 

I watched the first episode of this and it hooked me straight away. Just imagine being part of that scene? It's unfathomable to mere mortals.

You have to liken it to the Liverpool/Man Utd soccer dynasties in the 80s and 90s. The great West Indies and Australia cricket teams who dominated for years with special players regarded as the best ever to pay their respective sports. 

I'll try and catch up over the weekend. 

It only gets better and better.  Episodes 3 and 4 it really picks up.  I can't wait for episodes 5 and 6 this weekend

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I’ve watched a few episodes and I don’t really get the hype.  It seems like they had a pile of scenes and just shuffled them up to decide the order. The show jumps around way too much. 

That's probably my only complaint.  It keeps jumping between seasons and it's tough to keep the time-line straight sometimes. 

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I don’t mind it. Pretty creative way to tell the story. 

I agree I think if they just told a chronological story it would've been more dull.  I think this helps keep it more engaging.

For the people having trouble understanding the timeline, they are telling two stories intertwined with each other.  The basis of the Doc is all of this unreleased footage they had following around the Bulls during their last championship season in 97-98 hence the title The Last Dance.  Within that story though they are also telling the story of the Rise of the Bulls dynasty from the time Michael Jordan was drafted to acquiring the other pieces to finding the right coach and coaching philosophies to winning their titles right up until that final season.  I can understand why people are getting confused but if you understand the story they are telling I think it works.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hi all,

last dance is exceptional.

Jordan was such an incredible competitor, leader, athlete, basketball player. 

his ability on the floor was great, but his leadership and desire to win may have surpassed it.

I found it enlightening and fascinating and thought sports fans here might enjoy it too. 

the guy is a phenom. Did anyone find it interesting how cerebral he is or how deep rooted his leadership was? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Good thought, good thread. Surprised it didn’t exist earlier. Well done. 

I haven’t seen a lot so far, but have a bunch recorded. Fascinating in it’s own way.

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

:huh:

Have they released the 2 hour cliff notes version yet?  :P

They were good.

Rodman was odd.

....and Jordan had a special altitude (and attitude) about him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, chknwing334 said:

I’ve watched a few episodes and I don’t really get the hype.  It seems like they had a pile of scenes and just shuffled them up to decide the order. The show jumps around way too much. 

Agreed.  So far, the most compelling angle is the security guard who beat MJ in the quarter tossing competition.  The double shrug was cold-blooded.

MJ: he rolled the quarter up there

Security Guard: let me roll this money into my pocket.

More security guard, less MJ and his pooka necklace and carpenter jeans

I am still enjoying this series. 

No spoilers but  in episode  5, it covers  some  things about  Kobe along with an appearance of Former President Obama.

Perhaps if you  don't  care  to watch you might  like  this one.

Jordan reminds me so much of Brady.  They both have that really psycho determination to win, and they both relish having the ball when all of the pressure is on.  Extremely rare, imo.

Like Brady, I did not appreciate Jordan while he was playing.  Being a Knicks fan, I spent most of his career downplaying how good he was.  It's more fun to look back on it now and really be able to take it in without any vested interest.

Maybe it will be like that w/ Brady some day, but I'm probably too old at this point for enough time to go by to get to that point.  More scars w/ Brady, too.

Good doc, though. I agree that it jumps around a bit too much (I can't see what they're trying to do w/ that), but it has some fun "backstage" kind of footage that gives you more of a sense of who the guy was/is.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Hi all,

last dance is exceptional.

Jordan was such an incredible competitor, leader, athlete, basketball player. 

his ability on the floor was great, but his leadership and desire to win may have surpassed it.

I found it enlightening and fascinating and thought sports fans here might enjoy it too. 

the guy is a phenom. Did anyone find it interesting how cerebral he is or how deep rooted his leadership was? 

I agree. 

I thought it was very well done.  I could not wait to watch it each week.

On 5/7/2020 at 12:54 AM, Success said:

Jordan reminds me so much of Brady.  They both have that really psycho determination to win, and they both relish having the ball when all of the pressure is on.  Extremely rare, imo.

Like Brady, I did not appreciate Jordan while he was playing.  Being a Knicks fan, I spent most of his career downplaying how good he was.  It's more fun to look back on it now and really be able to take it in without any vested interest.

Maybe it will be like that w/ Brady some day, but I'm probably too old at this point for enough time to go by to get to that point.  More scars w/ Brady, too.

Good doc, though. I agree that it jumps around a bit too much (I can't see what they're trying to do w/ that), but it has some fun "backstage" kind of footage that gives you more of a sense of who the guy was/is.

100% correct.  This is something I've thought about for a long time.  You can throw Tiger in there before the stuff with his wife. 

The best of the best just have another gear or a different mindset.