I think I now know what Beane has been up to and what to expect in the draft.

I just read a great article that made me realize some of Beane’s pattern. I believe that OL will be our 1st pick in the draft, maybe even move up a bit in the 2nd rd to secure a solid OL and here is the reasoning behind that.

We all know that our OL has great depth but some of the OL starters could stand an upgrade, OT in particular. With the new signing of OL Evan Boehm it gives me the impression he’s insurance for Morse. They played at the same college and Morse was the “dad” of the OL, meaning Boehm is cut from the same cloth. 

As far as our Gs go I believe we are all set there as well. Spain signing a new 3 year deal indicates that we are set at the LG position. Well Feliciano has anchored the RG position I believe that the Bills have Cody Ford being groomed as his potential replacement if the quality of his (Feliciano) play duffers and/of if they can’t come to terms on a new contract. 

That leaves the OT position as the upgrade. I don’t know if Dawkins gets traded, realigned to RT or if the Bills just go and get a RT right out of the gate but this is where I believe is where the direction Beane is headed.

Beane has a propensity of signing and stacking OL and then trading whatever surplus he has at the end of camp. That 5th and 6th rders that he gave up, which came from trading surplus FA OL that he stacked, is going to be recouped some by following the same blueprint. So in hindsight Diggs isn’t going to cost as much as it looked initially.

I think that we can all agree that Josh is safe and while we could stand to add another quality RB the only other real positions on offense are the OL, TE and WR positions. Our Starting WRs are in their prime and once again the Bills have good depth there as well. While TE is important it’s not a priority. It’s the OL, they got to do better in protecting their investment with Josh, not just the physical part but also the production part. 

RB and defense definitely need to be address but it doesn’t have to be with the first pick, it’s time to upgrade the OL with a good young starter for years to come. Here’s the article that I read.

5 thoughts and a grade on Buffalo Bills signing OL Evan Boehm

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/5-thoughts-and-a-grade-on-buffalo-bills-signing-ol-evan-boehm.html?outputType=amp

• Like (+1) 8

I feel like a lot of the O-line guys they are interviewing are available later in the draft - Robert Hunt, Cameron Clark, John Simpson, Prince Tega Wanogho. I could be wrong but I don’t think I’ve seen any of them mocked in round 2.

Also, don’t expect any Tight Ends picked, it’s an awful draft for them and we doubled down last year on Knox/Sweeney. Bills have barely had any interviews for TE.  

My feeling is we go CB/S with our first pick, someone good could fall into our laps at 54, Kyle Dugger anyone? I’d rather RB myself but just don’t think that happens in RD 2.

5 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I feel like a lot of the O-line guys they are interviewing are available later in the draft - Robert Hunt, Cameron Clark, John Simpson, Prince Tega Wanogho. I could be wrong but I don’t think I’ve seen any of them mocked in round 2.

Also, don’t expect any Tight Ends picked, it’s an awful draft for them and we doubled down last year on Knox/Sweeney. Bills have barely had any interviews for TE.  

My feeling is we go CB/S with our first pick, someone good could fall into our laps at 54, Kyle Dugger anyone? I’d rather RB myself but just don’t think that happens in RD 2.

I believe that Prince Tea Wanogho is likely to go in the second. He is a high upside tackle that needs some development. I have seen him mocked in the second many times. As for Tight ends, the only one that I would be okay with in the second is Cole Kmet.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DFT said:

BPA is my guess.  

Yes, some talent need or another will be drafted, being talent is always a need, at every position. Some still call it BPA... at a position of need... god I love this, ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think we’re thin at Linebacker and DE.

I wouldn't say we were thin at DE. Linebacker, I would agree with. But at DE, we have 4 players who have proven they  can play there in the NFL, along with one developmental prospect. Indeed, we could use some youth at the position. Quinton Jefferson actually played more steps at DE than he did at any other position last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are in a good position. I hope they stay put at 54 or if they have multiple players they like, they could trade down a few spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a #2 CB. Would love to see Jaylon Johnson slide a bit since he had shoulder surgery following the combine. Arnette could also be there. WR still a possibility as is DE.  The TE from Missouri is also a good player who would go well with Knox. Should be fun to see what happens.  If an OT falls, I could see them go that way but the OTs are going to go fast and furious.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

I wouldn't say we were thin at DE. Linebacker, I would agree with. But at DE, we have 4 players who have proven they  can play there in the NFL, along with one developmental prospect. Indeed, we could use some youth at the position. Quinton Jefferson actually played more steps at DE than he did at any other position last year. 

Agreed.  If Jefferson is a rotational DE who can play inside, we’re basically looking at Hughes-Addison-Jefferson-Murphy with Star-Oliver-Butler-Harry inside.   That’s pretty strong, and pretty deep.   

We could certainly use a young pass rusher, especially if Johnson doesn’t pan out, but that might be more of a next year thing when we have our first round pick and Murphy is likely gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, turftoe said:

The Bills are in a good position. I hope they stay put at 54 or if they have multiple players they like, they could trade down a few spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a #2 CB. Would love to see Jaylon Johnson slide a bit since he had shoulder surgery following the combine. Arnette could also be there. WR still a possibility as is DE.  The TE from Missouri is also a good player who would go well with Knox. Should be fun to see what happens.  If an OT falls, I could see them go that way but the OTs are going to go fast and furious.

That tight end from Mizzou is gonna be a star.  

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo has decent to good starters at every position.   They have good depth at some positions and relatively weak depth at others.  I  think they have good starters at WR, and possibly a good starter at RB.  Everywhere else on offense, I think they have decent starters, but the youth at several spots - QB, RB, TE, and ROT means they could get better at any or all of those spots without changing who the starter is.  On defense They have a decent starter at nose, a decent starter with upside at 3 tech, and decent defensive ends at both spots.  They have a good to really good middle linebacker, and one very good outside linebacker as well as one newcomer (Klein) who could be pretty good.  In the secondary, they have two really good safeties and one really good CB.  They also have several candidates to be a decent CB on the other side, and a decent nickel back.  

There may be a player who drops to the Bills at #54 that can come in and be an upgrade at one of the spots where they are merely decent.  He also might be tempted to draft a big nickel since there are a couple guys who could be a decent value at #54.  Right tackle is one of those spots, but it is not a sure thing.  Other spots are cornerback and outside linebacker (replacing Lorenzo Alexander).  There may be no spot where finding an upgraded starter is a sure thing.  If Beane thinks one had dropped (some possibilities include Ezra Cleveland at tackle, Zach Baun at LB, or one of a couple different guys at CB, he could pull the trigger.  It is at least as likely he won't find a guy he expects will come in and start.  If he doesn't, he may try to draft competition, future development and/or depth.  If he's drafting for those reasons, The possibilities open wide for a number of positions.  He's still not going to draft a QB, and I don't think interior offensive or defensive line is really likely, or a "normal" safety.  Virtually anywhere else is fair game.