My pick for the 2nd round - Jonathan Taylor

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I am really not buying that Beane likes Yeldon that much.  If he liked him he would have given him more burn last year when Gore was falling off.

He has that game breaking speed that compliments Devin's style of play.   You dont have a drop off in play when Devin gets spelled, it keeps him fresh, and if Devin gets nicked up he looks like could carry the load.

I definitely think they're probably looking at getting a RB in the draft the only thing that messes with how much of a need it is would be Christian Wade he was essentially trapped on the PS this year so it's technically possible they've seen things from him that reduce the need but they're the only ones that would know.

32 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Two words.......

Cam Akers.

Simply put, Akers is a light years better all around RB and he has a better chance of being there at 54.

Plus, McBeane likes those 5 star recruits. ?

I like Akers as well. His O line at FSU was horrible and he still produced at a high level. Imagine what he'll do with competent blocking on the NFL level.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

18 Fumbles -- lots of carries but 18 fumbles with 15 recovered by the opponents.  McD will be in the draft room (his basement) looking at Beane over zoom saying -- "Don't get me a fumbler"  if Taylor is on the board at 54...

This.  Taylor will likely not be a Buffalo Bill thanks to fumbling.  

There are other RB's just as exciting who dont have fumble issues.

My personal draft crush is AJ Dillon.  Get me an elusive bruiser who can catch too all day, every day.  He reminds me of a young Jerome Bettis and Derrick Henry.

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

18 Fumbles -- lots of carries but 18 fumbles with 15 recovered by the opponents.  McD will be in the draft room (his basement) looking at Beane over zoom saying -- "Don't get me a fumbler"  if Taylor is on the board at 54...

Real fumbling issues in college.  That scares me.  Not a fan of his lack of experience as a receiver out of the backfield either.  I don’t mind the mileage he has on him because not giving a RB a second contract is just fine by me and he is a really good runner.  But he’s a RB that gets better and better with more carries.  I don’t know that he’d get that here splitting with Singletary.  I’d rather have a back that can be productive as a receiver as well as a runner - and holds onto the ball.  

I'm a Wisconsin alum and huge Badger fan since 1971. I've seen plenty of great Wisconsin running backs in my nearly 50 years of Badger fandom, but Taylor really stands out! I know running backs can be a crap shoot, but this guy can really play, and he's extremely intelligent and a great teammate! If a team needs a back they could do a lot worse than Taylor!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/15/2020 at 4:00 PM, JoeF said:

I guess he didn't demand that last draft...

On 4/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, John from Riverside said:

I am really not buying that Beane likes Yeldon that much.  If he liked him he would have given him more burn last year when Gore was falling off.

He has that game breaking speed that compliments Devin's style of play.   You dont have a drop off in play when Devin gets spelled, it keeps him fresh, and if Devin gets nicked up he looks like could carry the load.

Yeldon dressed for 4 regular season games as far as I could tell.  I would be glad if we got one of the top 3 RB's.  I think this guy would be RB1A by the middle of the season.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020jtaylor.php

Summary: Going to back to Barry Alvarez's time at Wisconsin, the Badgers have consistently fielded a tremendous rushing attack and are known for their talented tailbacks and tough offensive linemen. Taylor will keep the tradition going in the 2020 NFL Draft after dominating college football over the past three seasons.

Taylor was superb out the gate averaging in 2017, 6.6 yards per carry for 1,977 yards with 13 touchdowns. As a sophomore, Taylor averaged 7.1 yards per carry for 2,194 yards with 16 touchdowns. He had eight receptions for 60 yards as well. Taylor exceeded 2,000 yards again in 2019, collecting 2,003 yards and 21 touchdowns while averaging 6.3 yards per carry. The junior also showed more receiving ability with 26 receptions for 252 yards and five touchdowns through the air.

There is no doubt Taylor has the ability to make an impact as a running back in the NFL given his skill set to be a three-down starter. He possesses an excellent combination of size and speed that lets him run over tacklers or by them. Taylor has a strong build and is very difficult to get down, as he will power through tackles and bounce off defenders to continue to gain yards. He has superb contact balance and runs behind his pads with good knee bend. In short-yardage situations, Taylor is an asset who can create on his own with his power to push the pile. He keeps his legs going after contact with a powerful lower body that is tough to stop. An added element to his power is a wicked stiff-arm that makes it tough for defenders to grab him.

Taylor can rip off yards in chunks in the open field, making him a threat to turn ordinary carries into big gains with his speed to get downfield. Taylor has a quick first-step and a second gear that allows him to run away from defenders. Taylor isn't Chris Johnson fast, but he has good speed for the position. With his cutting ability and quick feet, Taylor has some elusiveness in the open field as well.

Aside from his size and speed, Taylor is a natural runner with very good instincts. He displays excellent vision, patience and anticipation to follow his offensive line before bursting downhill. When holes aren't open, Taylor is patient to let his line create a crease and uses his vision very well to make something out of nothing. Taylor anticipates where a hole is about to open, and that lets him get to the second level consistently.

In the passing game, Taylor has pretty good hands for a power back. He can makes some difficult catches and is dangerous in space. In time, he should be an asset in pass protection, but like all college backs, he will need coaching and development for pass blocking in the NFL.

In speaking to nine team sources, six of them said Taylor was a first-round talent while three said they had a second-round grade on Taylor. A couple of teams said they had Taylor as the top back for the 2020 NFL Draft. One said they thought Taylor could go in first half of Round 1, and another said he could be a top-20 pick. Most thought Taylor would go in the first round, but he could slide because teams decide to address another position without as much depth as they feel they can still land a good running back on Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.

"[Taylor's] a first-round talent," said an NFC director of college scouting, "If the runners slide like the offensive tackles and wide receivers slightly did last year, then he'll go top of [Round 2]."

Regardless of where he's drafted, Taylor should be a three-down starter quickly and could be one of the top running backs in the NFL and potentially make some Pro Bowls

College running backs usually are not asked to pass block, so they have to get coached up to do that. This guy has size, likes contact and should develop that.

Taylor ran a 4.39 at the combine.  Singletary ran a 4.66.  Taylor can run inside or outside. He was targeted by the opponents.  They didn't throw him many passes.

• Like (+1) 1

I seem to remember an interview that Brandon Bean gave talking about needing more homerun hitters. He said something like, it’s nice to get yardage in chunks, but it could all get ruined by a holding call and you’re starting The drive over in the hole. 
With homerun hitters that can score in one play, you minimize the chances that a drive will get stalled by a penalty call.

I have watched all of these videos on all of these top running back’s. There are things to like about a lot of them. But I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a running back highlight tape showing one guy break off as many long touchdowns as Jonathan Taylor. It’s pretty crazy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

He's a difference maker and a Singeltary/Taylor tandem at rb would be sick

My only issue is what does that say to Devin? The Bills just spent a 3rd round pick on him last year. He played great his rookie year in somewhat limited reps. I think the Bills just need to get a bigger back to pair with Devin. Like Moss or Dillon.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

My only issue is what does that say to Devin? The Bills just spent a 3rd round pick on him last year. He played great his rookie year in somewhat limited reps. I think the Bills just need to get a bigger back to pair with Devin. Like Moss or Dillon.

We trying to win a superbowl or coddle players?  Seriously I dont think its an issue  Devin is probably most effective with around 15 touches  a game  and he was drafted to be a complement to Shady.  Think of those 10 yarders Gore got  Those are huge gains and tds with Taylor.  I love Singeltary but why not add more juice to the rb room

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Well if he goes into a snit and decides not to play and be a prima donna,  Beane will probably ship his ass out. Do you really think the success of the Bills has to swing around a possible snit by Singletary?  I don't think that he would have been drafted in the first place if he was that type.