My pick for the 2nd round - Jonathan Taylor

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if they don’t draft a RB at all this year and just sign a guy like Carlos Hyde after the fact. The draft will fall how it falls and they aren’t reaching for a #2 RB

I don't think anyone is advocating reaching for a RB.  I think the basic premise that the "pick RB" group is arguing is that it is pretty likely that one of the top 5 RBs (Swift, Taylor, Edwards-Helaire, Dobbins, Akers) is available at 54 and that they could very well be BPA at that point.  I don't think anyone is saying that they MUST pick a RB in 2nd or 3rd just to get one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Singletary is good enough to be a feature back, the Bills just need to pair him with a bigger back. That can be found in later rounds. I think it would be a mistake to draft a back in round 2 or 3. They have bigger needs at Corner, Edge and even Offensive Line.

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't think anyone is advocating reaching for a RB.  I think the basic premise that the "pick RB" group is arguing is that it is pretty likely that one of the top 5 RBs (Swift, Taylor, Edwards-Helaire, Dobbins, Akers) is available at 54 and that they could very well be BPA at that point.  I don't think anyone is saying that they MUST pick a RB in 2nd or 3rd just to get one.

If they are BPA on the *Bills board*, then fine. If not, it is a reach. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed.  I want the Bills basically to pick the player that they rate highest mostly regardless of position played.  If there are multiple equally rated players at different positions, then by all means consider need/roster building/potential future cost-cutting options.   If BPA is a RB, then I hope they take him, if it is another position pick that position.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed.  I want the Bills basically to pick the player that they rate highest mostly regardless of position played.  If there are multiple equally rated players at different positions, then by all means consider need/roster building/potential future cost-cutting options.   If BPA is a RB, then I hope they take him, if it is another position pick that position.

Just going with Beane’s trends... he didn’t take a WR at all last year when they they really could have used an upgrade to Zay even after signing brown and Beasley. He said it was “just the way the board fell”. I could see a similar circumstance this year with the RB position. Not saying it was the right move,  because he really needed that WR... but, I could see it 

There are options throughout the draft depending on who falls where. If Taylor or Dobbins gets to 54, that's likely the pick. If Akers or Moss are there at 86, they've got potential. Evans, Vaughn, or Perine in the 4th-5th, Huntley, Anderson, or Leake in the 6th-7th range. I'd honestly be happy with any of that.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Henry and Cubb were second round picks that's why I started that those blue chip RB's are the types of prospects you want at pick 54. If you can get a really good prospect at pick 54 then take them. But there are other positions you need to take ahead of a RB so the only way you justify an RB is if they are that dam good. 

So you are a draft for need guy

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if they don’t draft a RB at all this year and just sign a guy like Carlos Hyde after the fact. The draft will fall how it falls and they aren’t reaching for a #2 RB

Well then you explain to all those people who criticize the selection of a RB by saying they only have a 3-4 year lifetime in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Singletary is good enough to be a feature back, the Bills just need to pair him with a bigger back. That can be found in later rounds. I think it would be a mistake to draft a back in round 2 or 3. They have bigger needs at Corner, Edge and even Offensive Line.

So you are a draft for needs guy now?    Corner Edge and o-line are 2 to 3 starter quality players deep. RB is one player deep and that guy was out a quarter of the last season and was about #45 in RB receiving.  I think we can start from that and work out what the Bills are planning.

6 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well then you explain to all those people who criticize the selection of a RB by saying they only have a 3-4 year lifetime in the NFL.

So you are a draft for needs guy now?    Corner Edge and o-line are 2 to 3 starter quality players deep. RB is one player deep and that guy was out a quarter of the last season and was about #45 in RB receiving.  I think we can start from that and work out what the Bills are planning.

Actually, Singletary missed 3 games (he sat out the season-ender) and the Bills went 2-1.  But no one is saying not to address RB and I have no doubt the Bills will address it one way or another.  What we're disagreeing on is when (what round) or if (singing or trading for a vet) they do it in the draft.

9 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Not at all, you don't reach for need. However you can't just draft for value (would you take 5 RB's if they all happened to be the BPA?) You need a combination of need and value. Basically my philosophy is that you take the best player available if they are an insane value or you take the best player at a position of need or where you need to get younger. My issue with drafting a RB in round 2 is that RB's are a dime a dozen. A lot of effective running backs can be found in the mid rounds. So my take is that if you are going to take a RB at pick 54 you better be getting a guy who will be a top 5-7 player because you probably can get a decent back in round 4 or 5. 

So yes you do have to factor in draft value, value of the position, and need when drafting. All three factors are important. Right now positional value at RB is very low which means that despite it being a need on the roster the value of the draft pick has to be there in order to justify spending your biggest draft asset on that position. 

22 hours ago, FireChans said:

BPA is okay no matter what. I don’t care if it OL, HB, DB whatever.

Brilliant !!   Allen dies of coroan virus, Wuhan virus, COG29g what ever.  The Bills get the BPA offensive center in the draft and celebrate.

fail

22 hours ago, Doc said:

So you think they're looking to replace Singletary?  I guess we'll find out Friday night.

Edit: Actually scratch that.  We'll have to wait for the season for that determination.

Not exactly.  Singletary is not a top 24 RB/receiver. They are looking to upgrade from him and make him the complementary RB1B

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Brilliant !!   Allen dies of coroan virus, Wuhan virus, COG29g what ever.  The Bills get the BPA offensive center in the draft and celebrate.

fail

Not exactly.  Singletary is not a top 24 RB/receiver. They are looking to upgrade from him and make him the complementary RB1B

Do we have 1 draft pick this year or am I missing something?

20 hours ago, Motor26 said:

No way.  Look at his rankings in yards gains as rushing and yards gained from passing.  I don't want to the Bills to be good looking also rans.

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gee,

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Not at all, you don't reach for need. However you can't just draft for value (would you take 5 RB's if they all happened to be the BPA?) You need a combination of need and value. Basically my philosophy is that you take the best player available if they are an insane value or you take the best player at a position of need or where you need to get younger. My issue with drafting a RB in round 2 is that RB's are a dime a dozen. A lot of effective running backs can be found in the mid rounds. So my take is that if you are going to take a RB at pick 54 you better be getting a guy who will be a top 5-7 player because you probably can get a decent back in round 4 or 5. 

So yes you do have to factor in draft value, value of the position, and need when drafting. All three factors are important. Right now positional value at RB is very low which means that despite it being a need on the roster the value of the draft pick has to be there in order to justify spending your biggest draft asset on that position. 

What you said doesn't make sense.   Unless there is this big RULE of FOOTBALL in the sky about positional value.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Based on what?

Total yards gained as a reciever. Look it up.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, John from Riverside said:

I am really not buying that Beane likes Yeldon that much.  If he liked him he would have given him more burn last year when Gore was falling off.

He has that game breaking speed that compliments Devin's style of play.   You dont have a drop off in play when Devin gets spelled, it keeps him fresh, and if Devin gets nicked up he looks like could carry the load.

I’d love this to be true but I think anyone hoping for a RB in the second round is in for a rude awakening

It might be best to add a complimentary RB this draft. And i would prefer downhill runner who can pass block.

Perhaps look to upgrade to Yeldon after the draft.

Spending the first round pick on Diggs changed the whole approach IMHO.

Bills second pick in the draft needs to be successful whatever position it is , and we need to add a running back who can split carries with Singletary for sure , however you get there.

• Like (+1) 1