and the Layoffs begin @ Pegula Sports

It used to be on these boards individual players were run out of town when they didn't do as fans expected.  Now, it's a graduation to owners.  

I understand that losing, especially with the Sabres, has become hard to stomach.  The Bills seem to be on the right path, but fixing the owners as bad because they're wealthy is something I don't subscribe to.  

It is speculated the Pegula's source of funding in the natural gas industry has been the root cause for the pro sports team decisions.  And it seems reasonable to conclude they became over-leveraged with other business interests.  Still, it doesn't make my life any better criticizing them or their business decisions.  I do not understanding how needing a grievance makes anyone's life better.  It's horrible people are let go, but sharpening the ax because of that is not value added.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It used to be on these boards individual players were run out of town when they didn't do as fans expected.  Now, it's a graduation to owners.  

I understand that losing, especially with the Sabres, has become hard to stomach.  The Bills seem to be on the right path, but fixing the owners as bad because they're wealthy is something I don't subscribe to.  

It is speculated the Pegula's source of funding in the natural gas industry has been the root cause for the pro sports team decisions.  And it seems reasonable to conclude they became over-leveraged with other business interests.  Still, it doesn't make my life any better criticizing them or their business decisions.  I do not understanding how needing a grievance makes anyone's life better.  It's horrible people are let go, but sharpening the ax because of that is not value added.  

And let's consider the outcome here. Do we want to run the Pegulas out of town? What happens next? From where does the next multi-billionaire that loves Buffalo come along that won't move our teams? I'm willing to overlook a lot to keep my teams here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So?    They appear to be accurate and well-invistigated words...   

Really?  Cost cutting, cost cutting, cost cutting.  Really well investigated enough to write a super long article repeating the same words.  But, you have your vendetta so you buy in and think it's a great article.  

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And let's consider the outcome here. Do we want to run the Pegulas out of town? What happens next? From where does the next multi-billionaire that loves Buffalo come along that won't move our teams? I'm willing to overlook a lot to keep my teams here.

One of the first outcomes will be that they ask the community they just layed off 100+ people from to foot the bill for a stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed.  As long as that business runs a profit, they will keep it, no matter how awful the product is.  If it regularly loses money they will for sure cash out.

They are reportedly losing 20-30M per year on the Sabres per Tim Graham

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

A source with knowledge of the numbers said the Sabres have been losing between $40 million and $60 million the past few seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

One of the first outcomes will be that they ask the community they just layed off 100+ people from to foot the bill for a stadium.

That is likely, but it's equally likely if they were a well-run operation. Frankly, a new stadium may well have just become a back burner issue thanks to Covid-19.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That is likely, but it's equally likely if there were a well-run operation. Frankly, a new stadium may well have just become a back burner issue thanks to Covid-19.

I think the stadium issue will be taken off the stove completely for a while after this crisis. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MassHog said:

Pegulas... they are poor just like us! It is pretty insane that a company as big as PSE, who holds 2 huge sports teams, didn't have a plan if a disaster hit. 

Buffalo would do very well with an XFL team. 

Not one single buinsess in the whole of the US had a plan for a pandemic that shut down the entire economy...think ia little

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

Really?  Cost cutting, cost cutting, cost cutting.  Really well investigated enough to write a super long article repeating the same words.  But, you have your vendetta so you buy in and think it's a great article.  

POsted in the Sabre thread, Kim went full blast mode here. This was about way more than cost cutting, this was we was getting screwed by Exewcs that did not have the best interests of the team or PSE at heart..which leads to a "toxic work culture" and Executive teams not being trusted. Common in tons business that not meeting goals and being successful. I would have expected respnces from terminated people in a pandemic to be any different

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bbb said:

No vendetta.   But, thanks for giving me a good laugh...

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

LOL!  And you call yourself a vet?

This is nothing compared to what was posted here about Ralph's impecible management skills over the years.    But thanks for posting...

1 minute ago, SeattleBills said:

So what? Nothing not to do with facts that are coming out of every corner based on their ineptitude and incompetence. 

quotes from 39 disgruntled employees does not make things "facts". Sure sounds like something nefrious was going on with some these people.. 

13 hours ago, SeattleBills said:

As a marketing exec, I completely concur with another billionaire who “gets it”. Mark Cuban says how companies treat workers during pandemic could define their brand 'for decades'. The excuse-making around here for the Pegulas is pathetic. They are tone-deaf and clueless. Would love to see either’s horsepower in a corporate environment such as Microsoft or Amazon ... where you have to have a brain and common sense as well. Talk about timing being key; in any other life this dude and his wife would be shleps in real life from net worth standpoint ... you know, the way they are from character standpoint.

As a marketing exec you have the luxury of giving advice without facing the realities of cash flow and meeting payroll. There isn't any business within their portfolio of energy, hospitality and ownership of sport franchises that isn't in a precarious financial situation. There is a longball game in a real world challenging economic environment that is going to last probably longer than a year. It's called survival. The Pegulas are attempting to make painful decisions that affect the lives of their employees in order to exist in the future. Marketing in many respects is presenting an attractive illusion to make their products appealing to potential customers. What happens when you don't have customers to sustain your business? Owners have to face the facts of the real business world where there is a relationship between income coming in versus incoming going out. The manner in which the Pegulas are handling this historic pandemic is in line with the way other businesses are the handling situation.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

quotes from 39 disgruntled employees does not make things "facts". Sure sounds like something nefrious was going on with some these people.. 

Tim Graham took submissions from current and former PSE Employees and also had questions answered via email from Kim Pegula here are some excerpts from the Article
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by Chandler#81
Removed copywrited material. Moderated.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

These discussions are just wheel-spinning and discussions of "public persona" or "civic responsibility" are a waste of time. The Pegulas own both Buffalo teams and will continue to run both of those teams, as well as their other companies, however the hell they want to run them. Here is why this discussion is a waste of time and we saw it for years during the end of Ralph's ownership - If you don't like the Pegulas and how they run things, your only real option is to stop supporting their teams. Eventually, if they lose enough money because you don't like how the Pegulas run their businesses, they will sell those teams and most likely the new owners will move them to a larger market. OneBuffalo is a marketing scheme and not a real thing? Color me shocked! Ownership of a sports team is a public trust? Not really.

@SeattleBills you obviously joined this board just to talk smack about the Pegulas, that's fine, it's a crusade and against the TOS, but I don't really care. The fact that you believe that your whining will accomplish anything is ridiculous though.You're also copying and pasting way more than just a few snippets from a paywall article, which isn't really allowed. Am I supposed to care that a business owner would choose their lifestyle over your employment? I like football, so I will buy Bills stuff because that's my team. 

Edited by Chandler#81
Moderator edited to remove copywrited material
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

24 minutes ago, bbb said:

A source with knowledge of the numbers said the Sabres have been losing between $40 million and $60 million the past few seasons.

How can that be?  They would have sold the team by now.