and the Layoffs begin @ Pegula Sports

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Pegulas sell the Sabres and the Sabres move out of Buffalo.

I actually think TPeg is more passionate about hockey, but unlike the bills, he hasn’t hit on the most important hires. Never heard anything bad about Chris Bandura unless he too went to the Russ Brandon school of behavior.  This is a great hockey market - unfortunately the home team has sucked

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I actually think TPeg is more passionate about hockey, but unlike the bills, he hasn’t hit on the most important hires. Never heard anything bad about Chris Bandura unless he too went to the Russ Brandon school of behavior.  This is a great hockey market - unfortunately the home team has sucked

I don't think Terry Pegula is that involved anymore to be honest. I think his wife is running everything.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd put big money on that not happening.

Agreed.  As long as that business runs a profit, they will keep it, no matter how awful the product is.  If it regularly loses money they will for sure cash out.

A lot of people are laying off and/or furloughing employees that’s not uncommon right now.

With that being said, I’m on record, years ago, for saying that the Pegulas didn’t know how to run the business side of sports. Everyone hated Russ Brandon but he was really the man making those organizations go from that side. I know a LOT of people with both the Bills and Sabres and that’s 100% true (and has been forever). Now they had no choice but to let him go with what was going on. However, they let other strong business minds walk out of the door as well. Now you are seeing the results.

There are/were 30+ people between those 2 organizations more capable of running the business than Terry and Kim. Of course they have the right to take control as it’s their money. At the same time you don’t see other owners running the day-to-day in many cases. The Pegulas taking control, especially of the Sabres, has been a nightmare. Forntunately, on the Bills side, they have such a strong football ops department it has insulated the other half of the operation (business operations). The Bills product, and brand, are so strong right now they will be fine. If we get back to a decade ago though the house of cards on the business side will come crashing down as well.

They desperately need to hire someone to fill the role that Russ held. The need a high end sports executive to come in and really own the day-to-day. I have someone in mind but don’t know if he’d be interested. He currently holds that position elsewhere but would be EXACTLY what they need.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Pegulas have run the Sabres into the ground.

The franchise is completely irrelevant outside of WNY. 

They started so well but panicked after Bylsma and Murray didn't make the playoffs. All they had to do was hire the right head coach. The roster wasn't that far off. Botterill and Housley were a disaster.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All they had to do was hire the right head coach. The roster wasn't that far off. Botterill and Housley were a disaster.

Oh, is that all? A lot of people were beating the drum for Housley. He had the resume that said he should be a head coach. Obviously, in hindsight, it didn't work out, but acting like Botteril or Housley were ridiculous hires is off the mark. 

• Like (+1) 1