Ye old Rockpile

as stated a few times in various threads , my dad took me there in 1960 , when i was 8 ..  against the denver broncos and their vertical socks..  i fell in love with the old place , so much so that i started going to AA bison games in 1979 just to be able to inhale the old place 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

with apologies to @Cotton Fitzsimmons.

Just a wee lad, I attended a number of games through the years, courtesy of my Dad, Uncle and chartered buses from the local fire hall. Some of my best memories are ‘66 win vs. inaugural Dolphins and the ‘68 & ‘69 games vs. Joe Willie & the Jets. One, our only victory in NY’s Super Bowl year and the following was #32 (newly given) OJ’s debut, a 33-19 loss. Also white out snow games vs. Cinci & Denver. Caught a few Bison games there as well.

Share some tales, duffers.

https://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/stadiums/war-memorial-stadium/

HEY! That place looks just like ME! 

:)

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, the Bisons games there on Friday with happy hour was great. Kelly, Reed and a few other Bills were ofetn at those happy hours, great fun. Cant remember really watching the game from seat much though!

What's insane to think about, is how many of us all probably passed each other time and time again in life, in Buffalo.........and now we're all here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

My father and grandfather used to bring full size KEGGERS into the Rockpile. People think the shenanigans now are crazy but the 60s were wild at the Rockpile

I still drive by there and thank Ralph

Look at some of the old pics of people in  the stands.  People actually dressed up to go to games.  As I recall, that didn't last too long, but it seemed to start that way.

16 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Look at some of the old pics of people in  the stands.  People actually dressed up to go to games.  As I recall, that didn't last too long, but it seemed to start that way.

Football was a very classy game back in the day despite it's barbaric tendencies

Coaches like Lombardi dawned the sidelines with class

• Like (+1) 1

Love hearing from you mature guys as wont say old timers.  My dad, turning 90 this year told me about his dad taking him to the pile and the craziness (kegs and so on), and how Hunt he fans were at that time.  My guess is that was the real mafia back in the day.

Thanks for the memories you young guys.

I remember going to two games in the early 60's. My Dad took me I was maybe 6 or 7.  The games were against Denver and Houston. I remember how great Cookie was. The Houston game George Blanda was QB. I later went to a late winter Game against Miami and remember freezing my butt off.

OnlyBills game there was in 72 when I was 15. My friend was sick and his  dad asked if I would like to go in his place. Was against the 49ers.  All I remember from the game was that John Brodie  got knocked out of the game and the Bills won. Was the second last game at the Rpckpile.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wacka said:

OnlyBills game there was in 72 when I was 15. My friend was sick and his  dad asked if I would like to go in his place. Was against the 49ers.  All I remember from the game was that John Brodie  got knocked out of the game and the Bills won. Was the second last game at the Rpckpile.

I was at that game and remember Brodie went down and Steve Spurrier came in.

That game was early in the season so I don't know if that was the 2nd last game or not.

I say that because my Dad and I would only go to games in September and October.

39 minutes ago, SC BIlls Fan said:

I remember going to two games in the early 60's. My Dad took me I was maybe 6 or 7.  The games were against Denver and Houston. I remember how great Cookie was. The Houston game George Blanda was QB. I later went to a late winter Game against Miami and remember freezing my butt off.

There was nowhere to hide from the cold in that place.

I saw a game there when the Bills were down to Ed Rutkowski playing QB. 

In the mid sixties I remember chants of “we want Lamonica”.

I remember  a game against the Dolphins when Mercury Morris got into a fight on the sidelines with one of his teammates.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, chris heff said:

I saw a game there when the Bills were down to Ed Rutkowski playing QB. 

In the mid sixties I remember chants of “we want Lamonica”.

I remember  a game against the Dolphins when Mercury Morris got into a fight on the sidelines with one of his teammates.

Ed was the "disaster" QB, and that was usually pretty true.

• Like (+1) 1

Home opener 1969 was against the Jets, who had won the super bowl the previous january.  When the Jets were introduced prior to the kickoff, I remember them getting a standing ovation from the  Bills crowd,  for being the first AFL team to beat the hated NFL. That was when the 2 leagues were still separate, and only shared the draft and the super bowl. That stadium had 'character' 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills playing at the rock was before my time.  As a kid, I used to go to some Bison games in the summmertime with my Grandpops. Talk about a no frills building.  I loved being in there though. Every color seemed bright: the field, the uniforms.  

I used to go to church on Southampton Street.  Had family on Michigan Ave.  I remember when the Bison did something good you could hear the roar of the crowd from blocks away and you know the joint wasn't full.  Can only imagine the sound when the Bills were playing.

• Like (+1) 1