Ye old Rockpile

with apologies to @Cotton Fitzsimmons.

Just a wee lad, I attended a number of games through the years, courtesy of my Dad, Uncle and chartered buses from the local fire hall. Some of my best memories are ‘66 win vs. inaugural Dolphins and the ‘68 & ‘69 games vs. Joe Willie & the Jets. One, our only victory in NY’s Super Bowl year and the following was #32 (newly given) OJ’s debut, a 33-19 loss. Also white out snow games vs. Cinci & Denver. Caught a few Bison games there as well.

Share some tales, duffers.

https://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/stadiums/war-memorial-stadium/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just a wee lad, I attended a number of games through the years, courtesy of my Dad, Uncle and chartered buses from the local fire hall. Some of my best memories are ‘66 win vs. inaugural Dolphins and the ‘68 & ‘69 games vs. Joe Willie & the Jets. One, our only victory in NY’s Super Bowl year and the following was #32 (newly given) OJ’s debut, a 33-19 loss. Also white out snow games vs. Cinci & Denver. Caught a few Bison games there as well.

My father and grandfather used to bring full size KEGGERS into the Rockpile. People think the shenanigans now are crazy but the 60s were wild at the Rockpile

I still drive by there and thank Ralph

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

My father and grandfather used to bring full size KEGGERS into the Rockpile. People think the shenanigans now are crazy but the 60s were wild at the Rockpile

I still drive by there and thank Ralph

Dad & Uncle introduced me to flask chugs after TDs. I was a cheering madman during the snow games!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Only there once, for that 1969 Cincy snow game. Sure seemed to me to be far tougher conditions that day than what I saw on my TV in 2017 against the Colts, but I was pretty young.

• Like (+1) 1

While I didn't go to any Bills games there, I went to plenty of Bisons games before Pilot Field opened. I actually got on the field and in the dugouts prior to a game because I was a finalist in the Pitch, Hit and Run competition. What a cool feeling as a 9 year old. I still can't pitch worth a damn, but even at 42, I can run and hit!

My uncles took me and my brother to a game once, and I distinctly remember where we parked and how he handed a kid some money to make sure my dad's car (uncle owned an El Camino) would be fine upon return. It was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Went to a lot of games there, my father had seasons tickets.  I can’t remember who they played, but one game I went to with my father was pretty funny. Parking was pretty much nonexistent, my father gave two kids $5 to park in their driveway, except it turned out to not be their driveway. The real homeowner had been at church. She was not happy, my father did a lot of apologizing. A twelve year old me found it hysterical.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I went a few times. My first Bills game was the '69 season opener against the SB champion Jets and Joe Namath. I walked from my house near Broadway Market with my sister. It was like a parade as we got closer. Some cars were parked on tiny lawns. I remember the melee in the end zone on every FG and XP. That was before nets so kids were fighting over the free footballs. Of course you know that's where the filmed "The Natural" with Robert Redford?

I had a flashback a few years ago when a buddy and me went to Hamilton for a Ti-Cats game at the old Ivor Wynn Stadium. Looked and felt the same.

aerial.gif

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4

My father worked at Roswell Park and we used to park there and walk to the stadium.  I saw multiple Bills games there, one UB Bulls game, and many Buffalo Bison (baseball) games there.  The very short right field porch with the tall fence / net there was cool.  I believe that the movie "The Natural" was filmed there.  It was a cool place and really enjoyed my visits there.

• Like (+1) 2

Saw a lot of games there with my Dad including the two AFL title games. Always enjoyed those days, just me and my a Dad. My Dad used to work there when he was younger, so he knew a lot of people that still worked there. Sometimes they would sneak us in when my Dad didn’t have tickets. 
Every time I watch the movie “ The Natural “ and see the old stands and those ramps up the outside it brings me back. Love it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My 1st game was the Houston Oilers in the '69 season.

It started a tradition with my father to go to 2 home games every year together (just us).

I was blown away the first time I entered the stadium.  I was just a kid of ten and was not prepared for the sights, sounds and smells of that place.

It was such a raw experience that it's hard to explain to younger people who never went there.

One thing that I remember that is so different from games nowadays is how people dressed.

My old man in a suit coat and his Kleinhans "Buffalonian" hat.  No one had team jersey's back then.

I can't think of the Rockpile without remembering my Dad, thanks @Chandler#81 for another trip down Memory Lane!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Rico said:

Only there once, for that 1969 Cincy snow game. Sure seemed to me to be far tougher conditions that day than what I saw on my TV in 2017 against the Colts, but I was pretty young.

I was only at a couple games at the Rockpile, and they were always the super cold games when someone would give us tickets..and I agree, always seemed way colder than that Indy game was. I was perfectly fine at that game, ask @mead107. I do wonder though if our outerwear is just so much better today, and had i had the same clothes on I had back then, would i still have been freezing my tuchus off.

33 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

While I didn't go to any Bills games there, I went to plenty of Bisons games before Pilot Field opened. I actually got on the field and in the dugouts prior to a game because I was a finalist in the Pitch, Hit and Run competition. What a cool feeling as a 9 year old. I still can't pitch worth a damn, but even at 42, I can run and hit!

My uncles took me and my brother to a game once, and I distinctly remember where we parked and how he handed a kid some money to make sure my dad's car (uncle owned an El Camino) would be fine upon return. It was.

Man, the Bisons games there on Friday with happy hour was great. Kelly, Reed and a few other Bills were ofetn at those happy hours, great fun. Cant remember really watching the game from seat much though!

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Rico said:

I was only 10 at the time, but I clearly remember that day. Not the game so much, because it was often hard to see the field! My dad had 2-4 season tix back then so I was there quite a bit, but that game probably stands out as #1. You got a good one. :)

• Like (+1) 3

Dad took me to my first game there when I was 6, all I remember is his buddy kept tapping me on the shoulder to get me looking one way while he reached over my other shoulder and stole my fries.  Dad loves to tell stories about my Mom making him and his buddies ziltz sandwiches to take into the game.

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was only 10 at the time, but I clearly remember that day. Not the game so much, because it was often hard to see the field! My dad had 2-4 season tix back then so I was there quite a bit, but that game probably stands out as #1. You got a good one. :)

One of the few wins that year. :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

My father worked at Roswell Park and we used to park there and walk to the stadium.  I saw multiple Bills games there, one UB Bulls game, and many Buffalo Bison (baseball) games there.  The very short right field porch with the tall fence / net there was cool.  I believe that the movie "The Natural" was filmed there.  It was a cool place and really enjoyed my visits there.

Both War Memorial Stadium and All High Stadium behind Bennett High School were in The Natural.  WMS also ran NASCAR events - Kyle Petty ran there. Bills players used to come back out onto the field after games and collect unopened beers that been thrown from the stands 

Been there. Parked a good ways away and walked the last half mile. People were selling 6-packs on the street for you to carry into the game. I remember one game where the Bills were backed up near their own goal line and the QB threw a pass that was intercepted for a pick-6.  The Bills offensive line tackled the guy in the end zone and then went on a rampage tackling and knocking down the other team's players fro 3-4 minutes. The officials didn't know what to do, it was just like a Bison's hockey game. Fans loved it. I also went to the first game at Rich Field and my wife and I both got a plastic silver dollar sized gold colored token as a keepsake.  Damn! have lost or misplaced it years ago.

• Like (+1) 1