Which running back do you hope the Bills draft and why?

Logic

On 4/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, maryland-bills-fan said:

I think our coaching staff is smart enough to figure out that short circle or spot passes to the RB would be deadly with our two speedy WR and Allen's threat of his running for a chunk.   I think they didn't call them because Singletary just didn't catch the ball reliably in practice and if he did, in a game, he was not shifty enough in the open field to break a big gain, nor was he fast enough to squirt out of there for a big gain by outrunning the defensive linemen and LB's.    So those plays were not called, because the didn't look like (I;m sure they tried) would work.     

Really? Singletary "was not shifty enough in the open field to break a big gain, nor was he fast enough to squirt out of there for a big gain by outrunning the defensive linemen and LBs"? Seriously? You think he can't even outrun linemen? Frankly, that observation is nutso.

Good grief. He's among the top five or so shiftiest backs in the league. He caused missed tackles at just about the highest rate in the league. Those are ridiculous interpretations. And while Singletary isn't a 4.4 guy he is certainly fast enough to outrun DLs and most LBs, particularly in the open field.

In any case, the vast majority of passes to RBs around the league aren't aimed mostly at getting big gains. Coaches hope that a certain percentage will be broken long but they're mostly going to be shorter catches. You look at the best pass-catching backs in the league and you see that Tarik Cohen averages 7.6 yards per catch, Ekeler around 10, Fournette 7.5, James White 8.8, even Kamara averages 8.5. They're not worried about Singletary because he's not going to be breaking off 30 yarders all the time. Virtually nobody does.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

AJ DILLON, reminds me of Jerome Bettis or Derrick Henry. 

Size.

Power.

Speed.

Great Hands.

Elusive.

Yes, please.

Here are his freshman highlights. I love the way he won't go down, the way he bounces off, throws people away and just runs through contact.

This year, Dillon faced stacked boxes on 75% of his plays, as BC's offense was predictable and Dillon-heavy. That makes it hard and yet he was consistently productive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBNT-LQ3Cs

In any case, the great thing about this year's RB crop is that you can get real NFL talent right through the middle rounds. There are a lot of guys they could grab and get real production.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Or we could sign a FA at a reasonable price since we aren't in need of a #1 RB. Someone like Hydr or Breida would fit the Bill.

Breida isn't a FA. He is an RFA on a 2nd round tender. I would have been all over him as a fit here if he was a FA. I still think it is speed we need from that 1B running back rather than a bruiser. 

16 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I agree, Taylor has more speed. But Taylor also doesn’t have the ability to make people miss at the LOS like Singletary. It’s give and take.

Not a fan of Dillion. Has zero ability to make anyone miss at the NFL level. Sure he can run through some arm tackles in college but that won’t happen in the league. I just think the game will be to fast for him and he’ll struggle. 5th round guy imo.

My top RBs:

CEH (2)

Swift (2)

Taylor (2)

Dobbins (2)

Akers (3)

McFarland (3-4)

Darrynton Evans (3-4)

Moss (3-4)

Kelley (4)

Gibson (4-5)

I’ll be watching the draft and see how these guys come off the board and how close I am.

That is about right except most pundits see Swift as the 1st guy to go and to go to Miami at the bottom of the 1st round.  Taylor might go to KC at #32, which would be unfair.

18 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Johnathan Taylor has everything a #1 RB should have...speed, vision, agility, he's the best RB in this draft and I'm not sure it's even close.

I'm of the belief that Singletary is the complementary RB, and that we still need our #1 workhorse...not the other way around like many others see it.

I believe it's a shared duty focusing on the RB strengths, opposing defenses weakness and game plan.

We need another quality RB. 

Who doesn't love Taylor? Are you willing to give up what it'll take to get him? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I can see that and your rationale is not without merit. But that guy can't be Yeldon. Giving him carries are wasted plays. I can take the argument they should hold off until day 3 of the draft but they need to find a better #2 back that Yeldon because while he has some value as a pass catcher he sucks as a running back.

4 yards per carry for his career isn't good, but it isn't terrible either. 

Again, we need a guy to carry the ball 5-6 times a game. That's not a priority for me until day 3 of the draft. I'd also consider signing someone in the summer after players start getting cut. That's how Houston wound up with Carlos Hyde last year. 

After the draft when teams add players and start cutting salary, I'd be fine with waiting until that time to add a veteran running back who got cut from elsewhere because they were making too much money. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

4 yards per carry for his career isn't good, but it isn't terrible either. 

Again, we need a guy to carry the ball 5-6 times a game. That's not a priority for me until day 3 of the draft. I'd also consider signing someone in the summer after players start getting cut. That's how Houston wound up with Carlos Hyde last year. 

After the draft when teams add players and start cutting salary, I'd be fine with waiting until that time to add a veteran running back who got cut from elsewhere because they were making too much money. 

He ypc flatters him. He misses gaps and runs into his linemen so often. I actually think you number is probably a little low and it is more like 7-8 totes per game but I do take the point. I think they should absolutely draft a running back somewhere in this draft. I think all the ones I'd consider at #54 will be gone anyway (I do understand you not wanting to take one in the 2nd whatever the case) and to be honest I am not sure the guys who will likely go in the third round range are worth the value anyway. I'd expect the Bills to look at a back on day 3 though.

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He ypc flatters him. He misses gaps and runs into his linemen so often. I actually think you number is probably a little low and it is more like 7-8 totes per game but I do take the point. I think they should absolutely draft a running back somewhere in this draft. I think all the ones I'd consider at #54 will be gone anyway (I do understand you not wanting to take one in the 2nd whatever the case) and to be honest I am not sure the guys who will likely go in the third round range are worth the value anyway. I'd expect the Bills to look at a back on day 3 though.

How about A.J. Dillon in the third round? He's a north/south runner who would be a good complement to Singletary. 

https://nflmocks.com/2020/03/11/2020-nfl-draft-aj-dillon-scouting/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why would it be low?

We ran the ball 29 times a game last year. 

With Allen being in his third year and us having added Stefon Diggs I don't see us matching that number due to more passing attempts. 

Say it goes down to 27. Allen rushes 6-7 times a game. Singletary should easily get 14 carries a week. That leaves 5-6 carries a week remaining when you factor in we'll probably run a reverse or two most weeks. 

The math doesn't add up for our backup RB to be getting more than 6, maybe 7 touches a week. That's not something you spend a 2nd day pick on. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

Why would it be low?

We can the ball 29 times a game last year. 

With Allen being in his third year and us having added Stefon Diggs I don't see us matching that number due to more passing attempts. 

Say it goes down to 27. Allen rushes 6-7 times a game. Singletary should easily get 14 carries a week. That leaves 5-6 carries a week remaining when you factor in we'll probably run a reverse or two most weeks. 

I think we will still run it that 29 or so times, and I think they will try and run Allen less. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How about A.J. Dillon in the third round? He's a north/south runner who would be a good complement to Singletary. 

https://nflmocks.com/2020/03/11/2020-nfl-draft-aj-dillon-scouting/

I don't love him. I wouldn't hate it but I think we need a speed guy rather than a bruiser.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't love him. I wouldn't hate it but I think we need a speed guy rather than a bruiser.

I'm not suggesting that he is a younger version of Gore. Because he is not. But he would be a younger and speedier version of the depleted Gore we brought in last year to serve the same function as a change of pace back. The bulky Dillon certainly isn't quick but he would be well suited to receive swing passes where there is time and space for him to get a head of speed going. 

On 4/14/2020 at 5:58 PM, delirious said:

Havent seen anyone mention him, but im a big fan of Eno Benjamin out of ASU

I've been throwing his name out there a while myself. I think he is going to be one of the best backs out of this class. He doesn't have Chris Johnson speed but he is fast enough to get it done, has pretty good hands, can make you miss or put you your back. He has carried the ball a ton and has not been banged up much at all. Watching him play the last couple of years (thank you college fantasy football) has been a treat because I dont think I would know him otherwise. This kid puts in some work and I really think he is going to be a good pro.  Plus watching Herm Edwards coach always reminds me think that it is still true that you play to win the game

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not suggesting that he is a younger version of Gore. Because he is not. But he would be a younger and speedier version of the depleted Gore we brought in last year to serve the same function as a change of pace back. The bulky Dillon certainly isn't quick but he would be well suited to receive swing passes where there is time and space for him to get a head of speed going. 

Yea I don't hate him like @DCOrange does but I would rather take Cam Akers if he makes it to our 3rd (don't think he will) or Josh Kelley in the 4th. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't hate him like @DCOrange does but I would rather take Cam Akers if he makes it to our 3rd (don't think he will) or Josh Kelley in the 4th. 

I would also rather have Cam Akers but as you point out it is dicey that he will be there in the third round where we draft. The reason that I am leaning towards a back like Dillon is that he is a big back who is a N/S runner and would be good complement to Singletary. If the Bills have an opportunity to grab one of the top four backs in the second I wouldn't be adverse to seizing the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

I've been throwing his name out there a while myself. I think he is going to be one of the best backs out of this class. He doesn't have Chris Johnson speed but he is fast enough to get it done, has pretty good hands, can make you miss or put you your back. He has carried the ball a ton and has not been banged up much at all. Watching him play the last couple of years (thank you college fantasy football) has been a treat because I dont think I would know him otherwise. This kid puts in some work and I really think he is going to be a good pro.  Plus watching Herm Edwards coach always reminds me think that it is still true that you play to win the game

Yepp, I see the same things you're seeing. Seems like a faster version of Devin Singletary. He doesn't seem to break as many tackles as Devin Singletary from what I've seen, but he definitely makes defenders miss.  

In my opinion I want a running back like Devin Singletary, that way we can be completely fluid on offense, not telegraphing what we're going to do so much. Frank Gore out there we could all predict what was going to happen. 

I think Eno is going to be a good back and I think he could immediately spell Singletary. I'm at the point where I'm banging the table for this guy.

Edited by delirious

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

I gotta look at his highlights. Not at all familiar with him. Sounds good what you're saying.

There are so many good RBs in this draft, imo. I've been on the Dillon train because I love his style of the bruising back, always have. I see him as a good compliment to Singletary. Also, as good as the top 3-4 guys in this class goes, I don't think it's realistic to land them with where we pick nor do I think it's worth what it might take to get one of them. 

Lotta good backs. I'll bet I'll be happy with who we select.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I gotta look at his highlights. Not at all familiar with him. Sounds good what you're saying.

There are so many good RBs in this draft, imo. I've been on the Dillon train because I love his style of the bruising back, always have. I see him as a good compliment to Singletary. Also, as good as the top 3-4 guys in this class goes, I don't think it's realistic to land them with where we pick nor do I think it's worth what it might take to get one of them. 

Lotta good backs. I'll bet I'll be happy with who we select.  

Yes please do. Eno is awesome. 

• Like (+1) 1