Which running back do you hope the Bills draft and why?

Logic

I’ve been spending the morning watching videos of just about every draftable running back.

After doing so, I became curious as to which RB Bills fans like as a complement to Singletary and why. Some feel we need a speedy homerun threat, some feel we need a big power back, and some want a well-rounded 3-down back.

So, let’s hear it, which RB do you most want the Bills to draft and why? And as a bonus question, which round do you think the Bills can realistically choose your favored RB?

JK Dobbins

Why?

Hes the best all around RB in the draft with the highest floor. He would instantly become our #1 RB. Hes fantastic in the passing game and to me one of the best pass protecting RB available in the draft. 

Hes extremely elusive as well as durable. He also had one of the best fumble ratings as well.

Best part? We can get him early mid 2nd and not have to move up close to 1 for Swift or Taylor. 

Kid is a stud

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

am brushing-up on running back from Dane Brugler Beast production....

in the 4th round  I like the value of a backup

I like Dillon from BC as a big back, a North-South tween the tackles punisher-fullback or Kelley from UCLA for his toughness and under-rated pass- catching abiliities

I’m looking for another good RB to basically split touches evenly with Singletary.  Not because I feel a need for an upgrade over Devin, but because I think the Bills still want to run the ball more than most teams and because optimally I would not want Singletary to log 20+ touches per game for a full season as he is likely to wear down as the season goes on.

Ideally, the new RB would be proficient as a receiver out of the backfield, but I haven’t given up thinking that Singletary couldn’t be more involved there and I actually think that Yeldon is a good receiver and can be of value there.

I am not married to a “type” (big bruiser, speedy, elusive) - I just want someone to gain yards when Singletary is resting.

i will say that I really like any of the top guys that might be available when the Bills pick - Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, Edwards-Helaire and Akers.  I think any of them would be a great compliment.  After them, I kind of like Evans later or Moss maybe in 3rd.  I’m not a huge fan of AJ Dillon in spite of his combine results and his production, but wouldn’t hate him in the 4th.

• Like (+1) 3

I love the idea of Dobbins or Taylor for the obvious reasons. They are studs, but I really don’t see Beane and McD drafting a RB that high and causing a potential locker room situation with Singletary. 

That said, Cam Akers is probably the best fit, but this class is super deep. I think the best bet is hold out and get someone like Zack Moss or Justin Kelley in the fourth. Kelley is very impressive and runs angry. He has sub 4.5 speed too, which would be a change of pace from Singletary. He is very underrated, so I’ll go with Kelley in round 4. 

• Like (+1) 2

In round 2 I like CEH or Akers. I believe Swift, Taylor, Dobbins will all be gone by 54.

CEH wasn't among the 58 prospects invited to attend the draft virtually so I think there's a good chance he is available at 54.

OR wait and draft Lamical Perine in round 5. If that doesn't work out then just sign one of Freeman, Hyde, or Miller. TJ Yeldon will not be our RB2.

• Like (+1) 2

Anthony McFarland RB Maryland

Why....

He is one of the fastest RBs in the draft.  We need a homerun type Back (no I'm not banking on Wade 29 year old RB in his 2nd year ever playing football). He's explosive, I would say his acceleration is probably #1 of all back, hes full speed NOW.  Great out of the backfield, good hands.  He's shifty and hard to bring down. at 5'9 208lbs hes nearly the same mold as Motor but faster.  I know folks want Thunder and Lightning but I'm just not into that.

Put on his tape from the 2018 game vs Ohio State where he rushed for 300 yards and dang near won that game by himself.

This kid may be there in the 4th.  Grab DE and WR with the earlier picks.....

• Like (+1) 3

I like Clyde Edwards-Helaire from LSU.  I know he's short, but he catches the ball so well and runs tougher than his height that I think he would work well for the Bills.  I'm not sure about pass protection from him, which is a concern, but most backs out of college are lacking in that skill.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I love the idea of Dobbins or Taylor for the obvious reasons. They are studs, but I really don’t see Beane and McD drafting a RB that high and causing a potential locker room situation with Singletary. 

That said, Cam Akers is probably the best fit, but this class is super deep. I think the best bet is hold out and get someone like Zack Moss or Justin Kelley in the fourth. Kelley is very impressive and runs angry. He has sub 4.5 speed too, which would be a change of pace from Singletary. He is very underrated, so I’ll go with Kelley in round 4. 

I like Kelley as well..... But Anthony McFarland I feel is better.  I think this kid will be a stud. Watch the 2018 Ohio State v Maryland game where McFarland ran for 300 yards.  I don't know why more people are not talking of McFarland.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

I like Kelley as well..... But Anthony McFarland I feel is better.  I think this kid will be a stud. Watch the 2018 Ohio State v Maryland game where McFarland ran for 300 yards.  I don't know why more people are not talking of McFarland.

I heard that McFarland lacks vision. For me, that’s a deal breaker. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I heard that McFarland lacks vision. For me, that’s a deal breaker. 

He seems to make a lot of people miss and hits the holes pretty quickly....  I just cant wait to see what this kid does on the Bills or not.  Kelley was impressive at the Senior Bowl.  He ran I think a 4.49 at the combine, but just doesn't play that fast. fast enough but not McFarland fast.

9 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Why....

He is one of the fastest RBs in the draft.  We need a homerun type Back (no I'm not banking on Wade 29 year old RB in his 2nd year ever playing football). He's explosive, I would say his acceleration is probably #1 of all back, hes full speed NOW.  Great out of the backfield, good hands.  He's shifty and hard to bring down. at 5'9 208lbs hes nearly the same mold as Motor but faster.  I know folks want Thunder and Lightning but I'm just not into that.

Put on his tape from the 2018 game vs Ohio State where he rushed for 300 yards and dang near won that game by himself.

It could be the Motor and Booger show.

17 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Why....

I have to tell you...McFarland made my jaw drop. His speed jumps off the tape. He is a “wow!” Player. Not just fast, but FAST fast.

I somehow can’t see a guy as fast as McFarland lasting to round 4, but if he somehow does, he’s a slam dunk.

For all the things Motor is, “fast home run threat” ain’t one of ‘em. From where I sit, McFarland would be a great complement.!

• Like (+1) 2

Factoring in where you need to select them, I think I would probably rank them something like this:

1. Zack Moss - Arguably the same tier of prospect as the top guys, but you can theoretically get him in the 3rd round instead of the 2nd.
  2. Cam Akers - Same deal as Moss, but I like Moss better.
  3. D'Andre Swift - I don't really love any of the Day 3 RBs, so at this point, I'd come back to the potential Round 2 guys and Swift is my #1.
  4. JK Dobbins - Same deal as Swift but Dobbins is my #2.
  5. Clyde Edwards-Helaire - Same deal as the previous two but CEH is my #3.
  6. Lamical Perine - I think you can maybe get him in the 5th if you're lucky and I think he compliments Singletary nicely and could theoretically turn into a starter.
  7. Jonathan Taylor - I don't like him as much as the top 3 RBs and he'd cost the 2nd round pick also, so I have him slightly behind Perine in terms of which I would want.
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

E-H or Akers are the most likely.  Swift, Dobbins and Taylor will be gone too early to even thing about trading up for. E-H is "like" Singletary, except that he is so much faster that he can get around the edge, outrun LB and safeties, and be a threat to go the distance.  Also, he is a very good pass natural catcher, has good hands and will be a check-down receiver for Allen AND he can spread out wide as a legit 4th WR.  Akers is also fast and brings break away potential and is heavier.  He catches well but we haven't seen him run with discipline because his offensive line was bad in college. So he  has some down side.   IF all 5 of these are gone, the second tier in the 3rd round- maybe with a trade up, will be fine.  Sometimes these guys can be a real winner, but the chances are less.