Cover 1: Hasise Dubois, Virginia WR Sleeper

Cover 1 posted an article on Twitter on Virginia WR Hasise Dubois as the "biggest sleeper" in the Draft class, here's the link to the article:

https://www.cover1.net/hasise-dubois-wide-receiver-2020-nfl-draft/

A snippet:

"Dubois is able to win on the ground while contested, but his most impressive reps are when he’s covered and needs to high point the ball. Against Florida and Clemson, two of the best secondaries in all of college football, Dubois was able to climb the ladder and finish through contact. The most impressive part of each rep was that the defensive back did as they were coached, punching up through Dubois’ hands when he reached for the ball. Dubois was still able to rip the ball down through their hands, an example of his strong and consistent hands."

According to PFF, which is referenced in the article, Dubois had 75 receptions and 0 drops. Watching just the clips provided in the Cover 1 article, that is impressive. The catches were often contested and sometimes, it seems like he has paste on his hands. He's listed at 6'3" and 215 pounds and according to Cover 1 projects best as the "big slot" WR, which would be a perfect complement for the Bills considering what they need at the WR position. Don't get me wrong, I would be in favor of Drafting Dubois if he's taken in the 5th Round or later, but I would still hope the Bills get a faster boundary WR as well. Yes, that means two Draft picks at the WR position, but Dubois might even be able to be had at the 6th Round selection, which makes it all the more enticing considering what could be had for the Bills in the future. What stood out to Cover 1, absent the speed, were noted route running, using his body for separation, strong hands and obviously as noted above the ability to catch the contested balls consistently. 

Cover 1 notes Dubois' best games were against top competition in Notre Dame, Florida, Clemson and Virginia Tech. You can see in the highlights he also has agile feet and the ability to use everything except speed, to beat the Defender. Speed is important, but as we've seen from guys like Keenan Allen who didn't post a very good 40 time at 4.71 and 4.75 according to Bleacher Report from April 2013, speed is NOT the most important trait in a WR. If you're truly interested in seeing a guy who drops through the Draft due to a "lack of speed" but has all of the other tools to be successful in the NFL and want to educate yourself on a potentially terrific NFL WR, start by reading this article and keep your eyes open for Dubois. 

Go Bills! Hope everyone is safe and healthy!

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Undrafted...

It's not my article, and I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I ask why you believe that? Is it your opinion based on what you've seen or heard or is it because you haven't heard of him or seen much about him that you think he won't be Drafted. Arguably the best WR in the NFL last year was Michael Thomas who is a hair under 6'3" and 212 when he went to the Combine and ran a 4.57 and 4.58, which is about where Dubois is believed to be in terms of speed. I don't know that officially, I'm just wondering if the speed is the concern with your perspective. 

58 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

It's not my article, and I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I ask why you believe that? Is it your opinion based on what you've seen or heard or is it because you haven't heard of him or seen much about him that you think he won't be Drafted. Arguably the best WR in the NFL last year was Michael Thomas who is a hair under 6'3" and 212 when he went to the Combine and ran a 4.57 and 4.58, which is about where Dubois is believed to be in terms of speed. I don't know that officially, I'm just wondering if the speed is the concern with your perspective. 

Oh yeah, just my opinion...from what I saw I just didn’t see that dynamic of a receiver, compared to the other guys at his position...

His contested catch ability reminds of a friend of mine who pitched in college.  “I had a great move to first base.  The problem was I needed it.”  He did not separate well.  If Dubois is sufficiently athletic enough to play in the NFL I could see him finding success as a Big Slot WR paired with an accurate QB though.  Just from the clips on the link you can see that he’s a heady player who will be able to find soft spots in zones.  If the QB can put the ball on the money when he’s in man, then he’ll be open there as well.  It’s too bad he didn’t get that Combine invite because that could’ve answered the questions about his athleticism - and now there’s no Pro Days.  Knowing the answer to that would determine if he’s draftable in the late rounds or not.  Still, I’m sure teams will want to take a look at him. 

• Like (+1) 1

One benefit of the deep WR class is that guys like this, who are probably 5-7th round picks any other year, are going to go free after the draft. I expect us to draft at least one WR, potentially 2, and then bring in several UDFA’s to generate competition. 

Diggs, Brown and Beasley are locked in- after that there isn’t a sure thing on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

One benefit of the deep WR class is that guys like this, who are probably 5-7th round picks any other year, are going to go free after the draft. I expect us to draft at least one WR, potentially 2, and then bring in several UDFA’s to generate competition. 

Diggs, Brown and Beasley are locked in- after that there isn’t a sure thing on the roster. 

Which lets Beane select literally any type of WR he wants from physical freaks that need development in order to play outside to high floor low ceiling gadget players. They seem to prefer guys in that 5’10” - 6’ range though.... but.... perhaps they’re looking for diversity in body types this year. Fun to speculate. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Which lets Beane select literally any type of WR he wants from physical freaks that need development in order to play outside to high floor low ceiling gadget players. They seem to prefer guys in that 5’10” - 6’ range though.... but.... perhaps they’re looking for diversity in body types this year. Fun to speculate. 

I mean, we went into 2018 with Andre Homes and Kelvin Benjamin who were tall dudes. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, we went into 2018 with Andre Homes and Kelvin Benjamin who were tall dudes. 

Yup. However both were acquired before Daboll. Duke Williams is the huckleberry amidst a sea of “smurfs”. The things I’m keying on are versatility and football IQ. There seems to be a trend there with FA signings and guys who ultimately make the final roster.