SI Article: forget about sports this year

2 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

But from a players perspective is it fair? Lets say the season is canceled and all contracts are frozen. Each player, including Josh is now a year older. Think he would be thrilled being stuck on a rookie deal for potentially 3 more years, when in reality it is supposed to be 2?

I am not saying either way would be better or more fair, but you also have to consider how the players would react to their contracts being frozen. My guess is the overall majority would not love it. 

Some in NFLPA think all should be granted year of seniority but which ones?  Some would certainly be cut, some rookies may never make roster and signing bonuses are already paid except for drafteees and it is for entire contract not a contract where the players go on a paid sabbatical like government workers.

10 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but am I the only one who would rather have no season at all instead of no fans in stadiums? For me the fans and overall gameday atmosphere, even when I'm watching games on TV, is what makes the games so exciting. If there aren't fans, to me it would just feel like a glorified scrimmage. I just can't imagine myself getting excited to watch games when it will be in silence. Maybe that will change in the future, but I'm not sure. 

I would be excited to watch the games no matter what, as long as they are good games, by which I mean the players are in-shape and going hard, not phoning it in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would be excited to watch the games no matter what, as long as they are good games, by which I mean the players are in-shape and going hard, not phoning it in.

......and the Bills are winning! Then I’m thrilled!  :)

Strange times, indeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bundesliga is loosely scheduled to return next month. That’s the German soccer league for you non-footy fans. Maybe a few of you will pick up a new sport to watch. Games are on FS1 and FS2 when it does return, albeit it w/o fans, which is one of the best part of European football.

9 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Bundesliga is loosely scheduled to return next month. That’s the German soccer league for you non-footy fans. Maybe a few of you will pick up a new sport to watch. Games are on FS1 and FS2 when it does return, albeit it w/o fans, which is one of the best part of European football.

Yea they are gonna be the guinea pigs. Germany has been the least affected of the major European countries likely because they have managed things much better. If their soccer can work in a closed doors environment without causing transmission of the virus then I suspect we (the UK) and others will follow by the start of June. They are desperate to finish the season. I know in the UK the major hurdle is that the police expect fans to still try and congregate outside stadiums and are nervous about that prospect.

But essentially if we in Europe can get back to soccer the reality is that it will add a pressure on the US to find a way to make its sports return. That said if the Bundesliga experiment fails..... then I think the chance of no sport around the world for the remainder of 2020 increase significantly.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea they are gonna be the guinea pigs. Germany has been the least affected of the major European countries likely because they have managed things much better. If their soccer can work in a closed doors environment without causing transmission of the virus then I suspect we (the UK) and others will follow by the start of June. They are desperate to finish the season. I know in the UK the major hurdle is that the police expect fans to still try and congregate outside stadiums and are nervous about that prospect.

But essentially if we in Europe can get back to soccer the reality is that it will add a pressure on the US to find a way to make its sports return. That said if the Bundesliga experiment fails..... then I think the chance of no sport around the world for the remainder of 2020 increase significantly.

I’m dying for champions league to return. Crossing my fingers but traveling between countries might be a non-starter. As a Bayern fan, having a real shot this year, it would be a big blow.

3 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I’m dying for champions league to return. Crossing my fingers but traveling between countries might be a non-starter. As a Bayern fan, having a real shot this year, it would be a big blow.

If the leagues can finish by the end of June (the priority) the expect them to try a mini tournament hosted in one place over 10 days to try and decide the Champions League and Europa League. One off games, no 2 legged affairs.

17 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

We get the 15 minute test going and it's required that you pass it before you go into the stadium. No tailgating in the fall, but it becomes like having the tsa checking your luggage before a flight - show up earlier, take your test and get in. Wear masks, face shields, gloves if you want. Hopefully there will be some type of solution to lessen the virus' effects at a minimum.

People making the call now about what's going to happen in the fall is a little silly. We should really be observing the countries on the corona curve ahead of us and do it better than the best of them.

Why no tailgating? You're going to be close to people waiting in line for a test anyways. And most people stay with the group that they came with for tailgating anyways

Just read this morning  in some stock market news that the mayor of  Los Angeles said no large gatherings till 2021 is a likely outcome, lack of testing equipment,  It was a CNBC business article, from yesterday Iirc. Also read that there is no where near enough testing kits available nation wide to be able to start lifting the stay at home orders any time soon, New York Times article about a half hour ago...  christ we are way behind the right ball on this as a nation. 

I sure hope I’m wrong, but from what I have read from all Fifty states governors there is a big probability that there will be no sports even without fans. There is still a severe lack of coordination of efforts on the federal level to streamline scientific and medical research development,  no vaccine in sight, still a lack of basic PPE, ventilators etc. We got a long row to hoe... 

Stay healthy Bills Nation!!! ,  ?

As a long time season ticket holder it would be very weird without our Fall tailgates with friends,  but I’ll celebrate just having a season at this point.

I’d be curious to see how refunds would be handled, they are certainly continuing to take the money! I know my friend who is a Sabres STH was being pushed to put refund towards future seasons, which he didn't want to do. He claims no one has responded to him since his request for a refund, but I imagine PSE is in as much turmoil as most of our employers. 

I realize that the overpopulated states like ours will take time, but if we can't defeat this virus by the end of May and have this country up and running by then............

we are going to have much bigger problems than the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well then they just need to play some where fans can't go, it does not need to be in a stadium.

Any stadiums on any military bases or academies there?

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If the leagues can finish by the end of June (the priority) the expect them to try a mini tournament hosted in one place over 10 days to try and decide the Champions League and Europa League. One off games, no 2 legged affairs.

Oh man, it’d certainly be better than nothing.

On 4/15/2020 at 8:55 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As would I,

Camera's could avoid angles that show empty stands and have live shots of families at home enjoying the game on their computer/lap top.

We can't even keep people form playing basketball at local parks and getting each other sick so you think we can control random drunk crowds from getting each other sick? No.

So then let's assume we go with empty stadiums.  X% of players will get sick without crowds anyway. This will dismantle your favorite team into being a scrub team and it will be a strike type season if not just get suspended over and over. Yuck. 

I really want us to play because this is finally our year, but I just don't see this happening unless 1)They play with little to no crowds 2) it is an abbreviated season starting in the fall and only after the virus stats go waaay down. 

The moment everyone goes back to life as usual this virus volume will perk back up and we will continue to go through waves of this stuff. They may be smaller and smaller, but there will still be waves. That will be enough to eliminate all crowd gatherings and likely trash fans at sports into 2021. A leading epidemiologist in England said 1 infected person could infect 57,000  versus the flu spread of 1 could infect 17. Let that sink in. This is wildly contagious. Its not going away in a month or two.

Idea:  Can Pegula buy 68,000 Speakers to put on seats.. of which each connects to our homes so we can scream at the game??? Ideally the NFL should be looking at technology to provide some form of home field advantage for the home teams. 

Edited by Locomark

7 minutes ago, Locomark said:

We can't even keep people form playing basketball at local parks and getting each other sick so you think we can control random drunk crowds from getting each other sick? No.

So then let's assume we go with empty stadiums.  X% of players will get sick without crowds anyway. This will dismantle your favorite team into being a scrub team and it will be a strike type season if not just get suspended over and over. Yuck. 

I really want us to play because this is finally our year, but I just don't see this happening unless 1)They play with little to no crowds 2) it is an abbreviated season starting in the fall and only after the virus stats go waaay down. 

The moment everyone goes back to life as usual this virus volume will perk back up and we will continue to go through waves of this stuff. They may be smaller and smaller, but there will still be waves. That will be enough to eliminate all crowd gatherings and likely trash fans at sports into 2021. A leading epidemiologist in England said 1 infected person could infect 57,000  versus the flu spread of 1 could infect 17. Let that sink in. This is wildly contagious. Its not going away in a month or two.

Idea:  Can Pegula buy 68,000 Speakers to put on seats.. of which each connects to our homes so we can scream at the game??? Ideally the NFL should be looking at technology to provide some form of home field advantage for the home teams. 

They will test players often and tell them to isolate when away from the team/facilities or lose their pay if they get sick, and especially if they infect others.  But there won't be any crowds this season.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, Rockpile233 said:

As a long time season ticket holder it would be very weird without our Fall tailgates with friends,  but I’ll celebrate just having a season at this point.

I’d be curious to see how refunds would be handled, they are certainly continuing to take the money! I know my friend who is a Sabres STH was being pushed to put refund towards future seasons, which he didn't want to do. He claims no one has responded to him since his request for a refund, but I imagine PSE is in as much turmoil as most of our employers. 

I pay in 4 instalments.  The Bills didn't take the second instalment, they sent out an email saying they were pushing payments back.  
Are you on the 4 or 10(?) payment plan?