McCaffrey Signs 4 Years 64 Million

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At $16 million a year, he better be selling beer in the stands when the Panthers are on defence.

Hell, he even does the team laundry after the game! Still waiting to get my hands on that prewashed, game used jock strap of his:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I will refer you back to my original post. It says that CMC is not just a RB, but much much more. Hence the comparables shouldnt be RB salaries. Closest comparable is Marshall Faulk. Would anyone argue Marshall Faulk in 1998 was not worth 64 million in 2020 dollars? 

My argument is more about longevity than his actual worth.

25 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

My argument is more about longevity than his actual worth.

We have to see the details of the contract but I will say in essence it's a 3 year extension on top of his rookie deal.

At the end of the the 3rd year of the deal he will be 27 years old.  Just around the time that you worry about longevity.

I will almost guarantee that the last year of his deal will be over the 16 million average (probably closer to 20) thus making the years before it

less than 16.

It's a smart way to keep your star RB happy and only pay him for when he is still capable of producing.

8 hours ago, ALF said:

1387 yds rushing  4.8 yds avg     116 rec  1005 yds  19 td      in 2019      he sure is worth it

I LOVE McCaffrey...I really do.

BUT:  I would not pay ANY RB that kind of money.  You know why his stats are so gaudy?  Because the rest of the offense sucks.  No RB should have that many receptions, that means you cant throw the ball downfield.  

Yes he is an elite talent...but you can find a Pro Bowl RB for a fraction of the cost.  And putting this much wear and tear on a RB is going to take a toll, there is no question about that.  

Dont get me wrong, his talent level warrants this size of a deal...but at the end of the day, spending this much on the RB position is not an effective way to build a winning team.  What team has this worked out for?  Did it help Dallas when they paid Zeke?  Nope.  Did it help the Rams when they paid Gurley?  Nope.  Did it help the Cardinals when they paid David Johnson?  Nope.  Did it help the Jets when they paid Bell?  Nope.  

Did it hurt the Chargers when they did NOT pay Gordon?  Nope, they were better without him and using Ekeler and Jackson at a fraction of the cost.  

As much as I LOVE EMC, I hate this deal...not because he's not good enough, but because its a bad contract in terms of how teams are built these days.  If I was the Panthers, I would have traded him for a first and some extra picks then looked at the draft to find a RB.  This contract will without a doubt be a problem for the Panthers at some point IMO.  If the Panthers were close to contending, sure I guess pay the heart and soul of your offense if you must.  But they are in full rebuild and aren't close to contending.  I would have just traded him and kept the cap cleaner and look to rebuild fully.  

38 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don’t think Gordon will get anywhere near this. Gordon will be lucky to get 5 50 with 20 guaranteed. 

he didn’t get anywhere near it, already signed with Denver. 2 years $16m total. Not really my point. Point was CmC didn’t pout and hold out and hurt his team like Gordon did.