It's Happening !!!

Buffalo Barbarian

"An overwhelming 88 percent of Football Bowl Subdivision athletic directors said they want to see the College Football Playoff expand after the playoff agreement expires following the 2025 season.

Brett McMurphy of Stadium reported Wednesday that 112 of the 130 FBS ADs responded to the outlet's survey about the state of college football. Of the respondents, 72 percent were in favor of an eight-team playoff, and 8 percent suggested a substantial increase to 16 qualifiers.

"More and more fans are only concerned with the playoffs," a Power Five AD told McMurphy. "That's sad, but true, so we should expand the playoffs when possible. Even if that impacts the bowl system. We have to figure out a way."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885644-stadium-poll-88-of-fbs-ads-favor-expanded-college-football-playoff

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Then they should do away with conference championships. A case could be made that these kids play too many games now. I think it is totally unfair to have them play even more games and take a bigger risk of injury and losing millions of dollars.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Then they should do away with conference championships. A case could be made that these kids play too many games now. I think it is totally unfair to have them play even more games and take a bigger risk of injury and losing millions of dollars.

Jmo.

i think they should too, have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 2

They can also hack a couple of the non conference cupcakes off the schedules. Play two non conference with at least one of them a power 5 opponent and make the rest conference games until the playoff. I know this hurts the ability to get the young players quality playing time but have to give up something 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

It was inevitable, but it should have been this many teams from the beginning.

The bowl games have lost their prestige, and there's far too many of them and who really cares about them anymore?

once they get up to 32 teams it will be like just like old times with the outback potato Tropicana bowl :D

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

"An overwhelming 88 percent of Football Bowl Subdivision athletic directors said they want to see the College Football Playoff expand after the playoff agreement expires following the 2025 season.

Brett McMurphy of Stadium reported Wednesday that 112 of the 130 FBS ADs responded to the outlet's survey about the state of college football. Of the respondents, 72 percent were in favor of an eight-team playoff, and 8 percent suggested a substantial increase to 16 qualifiers.

"More and more fans are only concerned with the playoffs," a Power Five AD told McMurphy. "That's sad, but true, so we should expand the playoffs when possible. Even if that impacts the bowl system. We have to figure out a way."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885644-stadium-poll-88-of-fbs-ads-favor-expanded-college-football-playoff

If FCS, D2 and D3 can manage a real playoff, FBS can too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

24+ teams?!?  Talk bout diluting the best regular season there is. 

Hardly. Is March Madness "diluted" because a champion emerges from a 68 team field?  Major college football has always been a beauty contest. It ought to be won on the field from a schedule NOT of your choosing.

If I ran things I would include every FBS conference champion in a playoff because every school ought to start the year with a path to the national championship, like in basketball.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hardly. Is March Madness "diluted" because a champion emerges from a 68 team field?  Major college football has always been a beauty contest. It ought to be won on the field from a schedule NOT of your choosing.

If I ran things I would include every FBS conference champion in a playoff because every school ought to start the year with a path to the national championship, like in basketball.

You're totally in reverse.  March Madness is not the regular season.  The regular season is absolutely diluted.  For schools like UB and Bona, it isn't - but for teams that know they are going to be in the tourney every year, it totally is.  ALL that matters is March Madness then.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, bbb said:

You're totally in reverse.  March Madness is not the regular season.  The regular season is absolutely diluted.  For schools like UB and Bona, it isn't - but for teams that know they are going to be in the tourney every year, it totally is.  ALL that matters is March Madness then.  

Every time some BS school rains 3-pointers and upsets a much better team in March Madness, the product is diluted.

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Every time some BS school rains 3-pointers and upsets a much better team in March Madness, the product is diluted.

True..................And, I know it wasn't your point, but I hate how the 3 pointer has changed the game.  It's all that matters now.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FCS starts with 24 teams. D2 has 28. D3 has 32.

32 works for me, more games more fun, more money, win win.

17 hours ago, bbb said:

24+ teams?!?  Talk bout diluting the best regular season there is. 

Works for basketball with March Madness, maybe they can call it December Dominance :D

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The conference championship involves yet another game. Exactly how many games should these kids be forced to play?  Honestly Promo, would you have a limit in mind?

My thing is that no matter how many teams there are in the playoffs, someone is going to be pissed that their team is left out.  I do not think that college kids should have to play 16 or 17 games. Basketball is a bad comparison. The injury rate in football is 100%. It is just a matter of how serious one's injuries are.

I LOVE college football, but these kids shouldn't have to risk injury (and missing out on millions of dollars) even more than they already do.

Jmo. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.