Mock Draft Thread

GG

Latest full draft from Dane Brugler at The Athletic.  Don't know if I'm thrilled with his Bills selections:

Buffalo Bills
2 (54) CB Jeff Gladney, TCU
3 (86) EDGE Darrell Taylor, Tennessee
4 (128) RB Joshua Kelley, UCLA
5 (167) LB Jacob Phillips, LSU
6 (188) OT/G Jon Runyan, Michigan
6 (207) DS Antoine Brooks, Maryland
7 (239) PT Michael Turk, Arizona State

• Like (+1) 1

Kelley might have some connection here. 

I cant find the tweet but Josh Kelley played under Chip Kelly. One of the Bills FO guys worker with Chip Kelly in Philadelphia and so "maybe" some extra information on Josh Kelley?

I wish I could find the tweet. 

Edited by DJB

Biggest issue, IMO, is no WR in the deepest WR class in so very, very long. We can argue all day where that WR should be Drafted, and I don't think taking one in 7th Round really qualifies (sorry Stevie Johnson), but not taking one AT ALL, is mind-boggling to me. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

I cant find the tweet but Josh Kelley played under Chip Kelly. One of the Bills FO guys worker with Chip Kelly in Philadelphia and so "maybe" some extra information on Josh Kelley?

How is Kevin Bacon involved?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Biggest issue, IMO, is no WR in the deepest WR class in so very, very long. We can argue all day where that WR should be Drafted, and I don't think taking one in 7th Round really qualifies (sorry Stevie Johnson), but not taking one AT ALL, is mind-boggling to me. 

The Bills "drafted" a veteran WR in the first round, with picks #22 (worth 780 points),  #155 (worth 28.2 points) #201 (worth 9.8 points) and got back #229 (-1 points).

So the cost was 817 points which puts them between picks 21 and 20. 

Looking quickly at a few mock drafts, that is probably too late to have gotten Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs and a few picks too early for Higgins (#25?#33?) or Mims(#30).  It looks about exactly right for Justin Jefferson.  Let's get back together after the 2020-2021 season and see how Diggs worked out compared to Ruggs, Jefferson and Higgins. We should also acknowledge that Allen is still a work in progress and the Bills are better off having a veteran WR teach Allen things, rather than Allen teaching the rookie.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/24/buffalo-bills-minnesota-vikings-stefon-diggs-nfl-draft-picks/

Note: the following chart includes the comp picks after rounds 3 and 4

https://www.drafttek.com/nfl-trade-value-chart.asp

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The Bills "drafted" a veteran WR in the first round, with picks #22 (worth 780 points),  #155 (worth 28.2 points) #201 (worth 9.8 points) and got back #229 (-1 points).

So the cost was 817 points which puts them between picks 21 and 20. 

Looking quickly at a few mock drafts, that is probably too late to have gotten Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs and a few picks too early for Higgins (#25?#33?) or Mims(#30).  It looks about exactly right for Justin Jefferson.  Let's get back together after the 2020-2021 season and see how Diggs worked out compared to Ruggs, Jefferson and Higgins. We should also acknowledge that Allen is still a work in progress and the Bills are better off having a veteran WR teach Allen things, rather than Allen teaching the rookie.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/24/buffalo-bills-minnesota-vikings-stefon-diggs-nfl-draft-picks/

Note: the following chart includes the comp picks after rounds 3 and 4

https://www.drafttek.com/nfl-trade-value-chart.asp

I'm good with Diggs in lieu of the 22nd, but the Bills still need to take a WR somewhere in the first 5 rounds as Brown and Beasley need to have their replacements on the roster this year and next. Edwards, Ayiuk, Claypool, Pittman, Bowden, C. Johnson, and the list goes on. There is viable good to great talent in the mid-Rounds for future starting WRs. The Bills should not pass up on the opportunity to capitalize on that situation. 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

For years Buffalo used the draft to fill needs and could go BPA because they had issues all over the field.  That's not the case, but as the rebuild progresses the positions they need to improve are fewer and going BPA isn't as straightforward.  The natural tendency by some is to still think the draft as an opportunity to fill holes.  It shouldn't be viewed that way anymore.  

I'd say WR and DE are two positions this team needs to focus on for the long term.  RB has been an object of intense debate, but positional value says WR and DE are more important.  And that is especially the case with their DE depth aging and the WR position similar.  Yes, on paper they've got 3 WR who fit 3 types of WR needs (X, Y, Z).  They need depth who can play in 1-2 years when Brown and Beasley are slowing down.  And, with their top 3 DE's currently 29 or older, having someone to develop is necessary now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that would be a bad draft. All the first 5 are pretty much value where he has them going. 

Actually I think maybe a little early for Taylor but not a massive reach. 

I'm not quite ready to go all @BillfromNYC on this, but I see DE as a bigger need than CB with the first pick.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm not quite ready to go all @BillfromNYC on this, but I see DE as a bigger need than CB with the first pick.

So do I. But Gladney is decent value at that spot. Would, as always, depend who else was on the board. 

My bigger concern with Gladney is I am not really sure he is ideally suited to McDermott's scheme. He is more a press man type than a zone corner.

23 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm good with Diggs in lieu of the 22nd, but the Bills still need to take a WR somewhere in the first 5 rounds as Brown and Beasley need to have their replacements on the roster this year and next. Edwards, Ayiuk, Claypool, Pittman, Bowden, C. Johnson, and the list goes on. There is viable good to great talent in the mid-Rounds for future starting WRs. The Bills should not pass up on the opportunity to capitalize on that situation. 

While I’d like to draft a WR, it’s not because we have to have Brown and Beasleys replacements on the team now.  We need to win a super bowl now.    I feel they should pass on a developmental WR if there’s a player that they think can help this team win now, whether it be special teams or just as depth.  

I’ve been watching a lot of the Bills content creators on YouTube and have heard several of them say that we have to plan for the future and draft Browns and Beasleys replacements in rd 2 because they’ll be gone in 2 years.  When I heard that, I wanted to jump through the screen and smash them in their faces.  No.  We don’t have to draft their replacements this year.  We have to draft players that can contribute to a super bowl run the next 2 years.  In later rounds, those guys might not be available, so take a flyer on a WR if they don’t think anyone can help now.

i have no problem taking a WR in rd 2-3 as long as they’re in the our plans for the 2020 playoff run.....not for 2 years down the road

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

While I’d like to draft a WR, it’s not because we have to have Brown and Beasleys replacements on the team now.  We need to win a super bowl now.    I feel they should pass on a developmental WR if there’s a player that they think can help this team win now, whether it be special teams or just as depth.  

I’ve been watching a lot of the Bills content creators on YouTube and have heard several of them say that we have to plan for the future and draft Browns and Beasleys replacements in rd 2 because they’ll be gone in 2 years.  When I heard that, I wanted to jump through the screen and smash them in their faces.  No.  We don’t have to draft their replacements this year.  We have to draft players that can contribute to a super bowl run the next 2 years.  In later rounds, those guys might not be available, so take a flyer on a WR if they don’t think anyone can help now.

i have no problem taking a WR in rd 2-3 as long as they’re in the our plans for the 2020 playoff run.....not for 2 years down the road

I do understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that particular Draft strategy was utilized by the Bills for the last 20 years and you end up chasing talent and putting yourself, or the team, in positions where you can't leverage productivity. The WR position is EXACTLY the kind of position you want (IMO) the Bills to target in the mid-Rounds (2-5) because you don't *need* them to be the immediate producer but might be if injuries require or simply their talent and production demand them to be. Imagine the Seahawks not taking Russell Wilson because they had their entrenched starting QB. Wilson came into camp and blew them away and he hasn't looked back. The point is, virtually EVERY Rookie needs a year or two to fully develop into the player they can be at the NFL level. Drafting a WR at this point means when the Bills *need* a WR, they're not overpaying a Vet or trying to unearth talent in a Rookie WR Draft class that isn't very good. 

Being proactive and having the ability to look at a WR and know they are the BPA in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th Rounds and knowing they have some time (again, unless injury occurs) to grow into that position without the team suffering through their development is just what the Bills need to do in order to continually be near the top of the league. Allow the cycling of Vets to Rookies to growing players be on an every turning wheel. Imagine "needing" a position and that position group is weak? Reminds me of Nix's refusal to accept the 2013 QB class as virtually un-Draftable while taking Manuel. 

People, not saying you, panic at the idea of "our window is closing!!", but the window only just started to crack open and I truly do believe in Beane and Co. being able to continually scout, unearth, sign and develop the talent and culture which breeds long-term, sustainable success. They're not getting lightning in a bottle or a lottery ticket, ala Brady, they're systematically and methodically going about their business holding to value and knowing the NFL landscape. JMO

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DJB said:

Josh Kelley would be a steal at 128....this would be a great value pick...Not selecting a wr would be a big mistake. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

We have a RB who is #22 in rushing and #45 in receiving yards.  Get a clue.

We have one of the top WR groups in the league.  We should be looking for high ceiling gems in the 4th and 5th round who might develop into a starter in a couple of years, when the contracts of the present group runs out.

Our "RB1B" did not even dress for 10 games and never played in the playoff game.  We need an upgrade for him and Singletary.

6 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I do understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that particular Draft strategy was utilized by the Bills for the last 20 years and you end up chasing talent and putting yourself, or the team, in positions where you can't leverage productivity. The WR position is EXACTLY the kind of position you want (IMO) the Bills to target in the mid-Rounds (2-5) because you don't *need* them to be the immediate producer but might be if injuries require or simply their talent and production demand them to be. Imagine the Seahawks not taking Russell Wilson because they had their entrenched starting QB. Wilson came into camp and blew them away and he hasn't looked back. The point is, virtually EVERY Rookie needs a year or two to fully develop into the player they can be at the NFL level. Drafting a WR at this point means when the Bills *need* a WR, they're not overpaying a Vet or trying to unearth talent in a Rookie WR Draft class that isn't very good. 

Being proactive and having the ability to look at a WR and know they are the BPA in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th Rounds and knowing they have some time (again, unless injury occurs) to grow into that position without the team suffering through their development is just what the Bills need to do in order to continually be near the top of the league. Allow the cycling of Vets to Rookies to growing players be on an every turning wheel. Imagine "needing" a position and that position group is weak? Reminds me of Nix's refusal to accept the 2013 QB class as virtually un-Draftable while taking Manuel. 

People, not saying you, panic at the idea of "our window is closing!!", but the window only just started to crack open and I truly do believe in Beane and Co. being able to continually scout, unearth, sign and develop the talent and culture which breeds long-term, sustainable success. They're not getting lightning in a bottle or a lottery ticket, ala Brady, they're systematically and methodically going about their business holding to value and knowing the NFL landscape. JMO

Well said.  

I realize that we have to restock as we can’t pay everyone and the WRs won’t be around forever, I just hope that the first player we select this year will play this season and can help us win games this season.  

I just don’t like to hear “we should draft this guy because, in two years, we’ll need to replace so and so.”   Replacing someone in two years can play a part in drafting someone, but I’d hope that we would also draft a player that we can reap some benefits this year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1