Gunner's 2020 Draft Quarterback Evaluations (Pt. 2 now posted!)

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay so here is every QB I have done detailed work on since 2015... mixed bag of outcomes. 

1. Josh Rosen - ?

2. Deshaun Watson

3. Joe Burrow

4. Sam Darnold

5. Carson Wentz

6. Jameis Winston

7. Jared Goff

8. Baker Mayfield

9. Tua Tagovailoa

10. Kyler Murray

11. Marcus Mariota

12. Mitch Trubisky

13. Dak Prescott

14. Dwayne Haskins

15. Mason Rudolph

16. Lamar Jackson

17. Patrick Mahomes*

18. Josh Allen*

19. Deshone Kizer

20. Jordan Love

21. Justin Herbert

22. Drew Lock

23. Connor Cook

24. Paxton Lynch

25. Daniel Jones

26. Jalen Hurts

27. Mike White

28. Jacob Eason

29. Jake Fromm

30. Will Grier

*on Mahomes and Allen are because having missed on two guys who I thought had Franchise QB ceilings but low floors I have adjusted my grading scale so that is them graded against the new scale. I was still obviously way too low on Mahomes (though in fairness my scouting report did say the ideal situation for him was an experienced NFL coach who would let him sit and refine his footwork) and I was still too low on Allen as well and Lamar Jackson. 

There are some guys you miss on that you understand why you missed and then there are others and Rosen still falls in this camp that watching his UCLA film back today I'd still have a super high grade on it. Oh well ?

Wow I’m shocked you have Watson above Burrow.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Gunner LOVED Watson and was right

Oh I know. I loved him too. Just feels like Burrow has gotten that “he’s so clearly #1 overall material” treatment from everyone despite Chase Young existing, where Watson didn’t get that kind of talk with Myles Garrett.

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Wow I’m shocked you have Watson above Burrow.

In fairness they are essentially joint second. I have the same grade on them - you come down to splitting by second decimal places. Equally Wentz and Winston are essentially joint 5th and Baker and Tua joint 8th.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh I know. I loved him too. Just feels like Burrow has gotten that “he’s so clearly #1 overall material” treatment from everyone despite Chase Young existing, where Watson didn’t get that kind of talk with Myles Garrett.

I’m not sure I’ve seen one person have ANYONE ranked over Chase Young. There’s a difference between the big board and the draft. Most teams will take the QB grades closely first. Most teams aren’t the Browns ?.

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure I’ve seen one person have ANYONE ranked over Chase Young. There’s a difference between the big board and the draft. Most teams will take the QB grades closely first. Most teams aren’t the Browns ?.

That’s true, but I don’t think a lot of teams take Watson #1 in 2017 who aren’t the Browns too, you know?

Not sure Gunner would have either but idk.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

- - - - - - -

Jake Fromm – Junior – Georgia

Games watched: Florida, LSU, Baylor Tennessee (all 2019) Florida, Alabama, Texas (2018) Oklahoma, Alabama (2017);

Initial Comments: Fromm is the opposite of Hurns and Eason in that there is a pretty clear three years of evidence to sift through and take a view on. He is not the most physically gifted Quarterback and so the question that exists is whether he is smart enough to overcome those limitations and be successful in the NFL.   

Pros:

• Smart, experienced and mentally advanced Quarterback. Understands what he sees and appears to understand his physical limitation too.  
  • Probably the most advanced Quarterback in this class in getting through progressions. Reads the field quickly and processes that information to make sound decisions with the football.  Good against the blitz, knows where his hots are and gets the ball there.
  • Compact, tidy footwork. Has a good throwing base and slides and climbs well when required.
  • Accurate when throwing between the hashes and in the short to intermediate range. Demonstrates some evidence of anticipatory throwing.
  • Competitive and looks like a leader.

Cons:

• Lacks size and lacks arm strength.
  • Not a guy who is going to beat you with his legs. He will take off and scramble when he needs to but I don't see him running away from NFL athletes.
  • Accuracy drops off considerably outside the numbers and beyond 15 yards downfield.    
  • Has at best plateaued and at worst regressed over his three years as Georgia's starter.
  • Avoids tight windows like the plague. I think he knows he doesn't have the arm to give himself any margin for error there and as a result at times he is too safe with the ball.

Draft Grade: Jake Fromm is not an NFL starting Quarterback. He actually reminds me a little of Matt Barkley. Nice kid, mentally advanced, went to a big school and played lots of high pressure football but despite his intangibles just lacks the physical tools to become any more than a backup at the NFL level. I think he would be a good guy to have in your Quarterback room and I can imagine him ending up as a decent mentor to younger QBs if his talent allows him to hang around as a game manager type backup for long enough.  4th/5th round grade.

Now that sound like Brady's draft profile.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Gun,

If you had to draft a mid round qb to groom to be our backup......who would you realistically take?

I know this question was not for me, but I will throw my 2 cents in. I really like Cole McDonald. To me, what makes him interesting is that he is athletic, has really good arm strength, and is really good at reading what defenses are doing as a result of the offense he played in at Hawai’i. He’d be a good guy to have in the room and what I really like is that he has enough swag and gamer qualities that he can come in and win a few football games. He would never have a deer in the headlights kind of thing. I don’t think he is an NFL starter, but I think he’s an interesting back up. He is also working with Jordan Palmer and Josh so there is a familiarity there. 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Gun,

If you had to draft a mid round qb to groom to be our backup......who would you realistically take?

Other than the 7 profiled here the only other guy I have watched anything of (and it is by no means as detailed as my evaluations of the 7 in this post) who I think is draftable is James Morgan out of FIU. The rest in what is generally considered that next group - Stanley, Gordon, Huntley, Montez and yes @MrEpsYtown's guy McDonald are all at best in my 7th/UDFA category. Shea Patterson is in my "don't sign even as an UDFA even if the world is going to end and he will never have to play anyway" category. Where he will find company with such alumni as one Peterman, Nate.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

That’s true, but I don’t think a lot of teams take Watson #1 in 2017 who aren’t the Browns too, you know?

Not sure Gunner would have either but idk.

Yea I would have done. I'd have taken Watson #1 overall if I was Cleveland. I was really hoping they wouldn't because nobody deserved that mess at the time... not even Baker. But yea, I'd have taken him #1.

• Like (+1) 1