PSA: Story on Allen/Darnold and Jordan Palmer ESPN 12:30 est

I’m hoping that this pops up somewhere online as I don’t have ESPN. If anybody sees it and can post a link, that would be immensely appreciated. In this time of a complete lack of sports, this kind of stuff is helpful in passing the down times.

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd rather learn from Peyton Manning....Palmer's client list might be impressive but his playing resume is embarrassing?....but if he somehow helps Josh then more power to him....

This happens all the time in sports. I know HC at high level NCAA programs who couldn't even begin to explain the nuances of what made them successful. One was actually names an olympic coach but was promptly fired after a very poor quadrennial.  Generally athletes who lack the physiological gifts become better coaches, because they didn't just "do" they had to "learn" if that makes sense. A good example is probably Dan Marino. He was never accused of being the most cerebral guy out there, but was a hell of a passer. I wouldn't really want to be coached by him (There is value for camps and lower end athletes, etc). I would much rather take a guy like Brady, Manning, Romo who really internalized the entire game. I am sure a guy like Chad Pennington would be a great mentor because was able to maintain a career after he tore his shoulder apart. Reich and Leftwich come to mind as well. 

That said, none of this means Palmer is any sort of QB whisperer. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd rather learn from Peyton Manning....Palmer's client list might be impressive but his playing resume is embarrassing?....but if he somehow helps Josh then more power to him....

Who cares what his playing years amounted to, if he can teach, he can teach, so we got that going for us, ??

I was a middling bicycle racer, but I knew how to convey technique, and training methods and how to sit on a bike properly to make power,  so that our up and comers could excel at bicycle racing. Frankly I was damn good at it, ?. The people who taught Eddy Merckx to race bicycles where no where near as good as he was, Merckx won everything repeatedly. 

Go Bills!!!

30 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Manning would be a more difficult teacher because he had so much natural talent it’s often not easy to explain the how/why a young QB with a different skill set can maximize potential. He would be better in the film room imo, breaking down defenses 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I heard an interview once with a guy who was trying to be helped by post-retirement Brett Favre....he said it was tough to get much from him, because fundamentally Favre would be "you just do THIS" and the ball would flip out of his hand in a perfect throw

A lot of times the greatest athletes don't understand what they're doing physically.  They can't break it down.  Apparently Palmer has a talent for it.

Now breaking down film with "The Sheriff", that would be rad

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

In the history of all sports, it’s pretty hard to find examples of great players who became great coaches/teachers.  Ditka is one of the few I can come up with.  

there are plenty of examples of excellent coaches that were journeymen or back ups. 

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Manning would be a more difficult teacher because he had so much natural talent it’s often not easy to explain the how/why a young QB with a different skill set can maximize potential. He would be better in the film room imo, breaking down defenses 

Was thinking the same thing. The greats (how many greats became head coaches / Offensive coordinators - Bart Starr is the only name that comes to mind) aren't sitting watching others once they have made it .. they are performing. The Frank Reich's of the world are sitting taking everything in .. providing value by watching the starter and looking for things that can be improved. Alex van Pelt is an OC... happens a lot with backup QBs.

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Last I knew, Peyton wasn’t a QB coach for hire.  

Edited by NewEra

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I heard an interview once with a guy who was trying to be helped by post-retirement Brett Favre....he said it was tough to get much from him, because fundamentally Favre would be "you just do THIS" and the ball would flip out of his hand in a perfect throw

A lot of times the greatest athletes don't understand what they're doing physically.  They can't break it down.  Apparently Palmer has a talent for it.

Now breaking down film with "The Sheriff", that would be rad

Yup. The ability to ‘do’ does not mean you have the ability to teach.