Beane Draft Day Aggression - Trade up for Delpit

Mark80

20 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

They are...and some of them are plain wacky.  The last time I remember someone trading up in a substantial move it was AJ Smith for Eric Weddle more than 10 years ago.   

McBeane has been the polar opposite of people like Nix who believed in this strategy.  And they moved up once in '17 then down twice that year.  There were the moves to trade up for Allen and Edmunds.  Then last year, moving up for Ford and later Knox.  

The point is, if someone can help them now and later it's a move to consider moving up.  And both WR and DE are areas they could use a player for today and future seasons.  

I don't understand this talk about WR being an immediate need.  We have our 2 outside guys, we have our slot guy, we have our receiving TE, and Singletary is working on his receiving game and we have some young guys to develop.  Where is the need here?  What am I missing?  Is is simply for just a big body guy?  Isn't that Duke's potential role?  Not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process here.

However, DE is a glaring need IMO.

Edited by Mark80

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The premise of this being that the Bills would trade assets to move up for him - I agree with you. If he was there at 54 and they Bills saw value there, I won’t quibble, though I personally wouldn’t take him there either given the talent in this draft and the immediate ROI with him or any new safety likely only getting on the field in sub packages for the next 2 years, barring injury

It’s difficult to see a fit here for Delpit.  I get that he’s talented and that he played through injury last season.  But the getting a safety early (and with that much draft capital) would have to mean that we’d be in Big Nickel most of the time and want 3 on the field most of the time.  Someone to edge us closer to a positionless back 7 would make sense.  But how does taking a guy who could be a stud centerfielder make that happen?   Anyone comfortable with Poyer moving to the Big Nickel spot?  He’d be the best bet and I don’t love it.  It sure couldn’t be Delpit anytime soon with his tackling issues.

I see Delpit as a fit for C2 or C1 teams.  His range is just too good to put elsewhere.  I know we play those looks, but as a C3 team I just don’t see using a lot of draft capital on a player like him.  Honestly I can see the Ravens taking him in the first.  He’s exactly their kind of player and the kind of pick they’d make. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

They are...and some of them are plain wacky.  The last time I remember someone trading up in a substantial move it was AJ Smith for Eric Weddle more than 10 years ago.   

McBeane has been the polar opposite of people like Nix who believed in this strategy.  And they moved up once in '17 then down twice that year.  There were the moves to trade up for Allen and Edmunds.  Then last year, moving up for Ford and later Knox.  

The point is, if someone can help them now and later it's a move to consider moving up.  And both WR and DE are areas they could use a player for today and future seasons.  

Think you got muddled on '17. They moved down once - from #10 to was it #27? And then up twice for Zay and Dion. They then moved up twice in '18 and twice in '19.

23 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Going into last year Delpit was looking like a top 10 pick. He has pretty good size and physicality. He’s big enough to play the big nickel (which McDermott loves). 

Last year he was nowhere near the player that he was the year before despite him stealing the Thorpe award from Okudah. Delpit played through an injury all year which certainly impacted his play. If you are getting the 2018 version you are getting a potentially great player. If you’re getting the 1019 version, meh. 

The 1019 version never even heard of the game of football, so you have to cut him some slack.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s difficult to see a fit here for Delpit.  I get that he’s talented and that he played through injury last season.  But the getting a safety early (and with that much draft capital) would have to mean that we’d be in Big Nickel most of the time and want 3 on the field most of the time.  Someone to edge us closer to a positionless back 7 would make sense.  But how does taking a guy who could be a stud centerfielder make that happen?   Anyone comfortable with Poyer moving to the Big Nickel spot?  He’d be the best bet and I don’t love it.  It sure couldn’t be Delpit anytime soon with his tackling issues.

I see Delpit as a fit for C2 or C1 teams.  His range is just too good to put elsewhere.  I know we play those looks, but as a C3 team I just don’t see using a lot of draft capital on a player like him.  Honestly I can see the Ravens taking him in the first.  He’s exactly their kind of player and the kind of pick they’d make. 

I agree.  And the Ravens aren't getting enough production out of Earl Thomas.  He'd be a great fit there.  Man, if the Ravens get Jonathan Taylor or Aiyuk in the 1st and Delpit in the 2nd...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I agree.  And the Ravens aren't getting enough production out of Earl Thomas.  He'd be a great fit there.  Man, if the Ravens get Jonathan Taylor or Aiyuk in the 1st and Delpit in the 2nd...

Yeah, I know.  Wow.  Replacing Thomas was exactly what I was thinking for Delpit.  Thomas looked pretty done last season and that defense was fantastic.  Imagine it with Delpit back there instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, hjnick said:

This isn't directly toward Delpit, but why would we even want a Safety in the 2nd round when we have 2 great Safeties now??? Do we need 3?

Sorry, I just haven't understood the fascination for an early round safety.

Hypothetically if they considered Delpit the next Ed Reed or Polamalu why wouldn't they?  I am not saying he is that good but if they thought he was there would be a good argument there.  That being said I don't think he is and I don't think they think he is either.  I see someone dropping that isn't expected.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Hypothetically if they considered Delpit the next Ed Reed or Polamalu why wouldn't they?  I am not saying he is that good but if they thought he was there would be a good argument there.  That being said I don't think he is and I don't think they think he is either.  I see someone dropping that isn't expected.

There is no elite safety talent in this draft. There are good prospects that can become starters but no one that teams are drooling over like a Jamal Adams or Derwin James.  Unless someone decides Isaiah Simmons is a safety in their defense.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

There is no elite safety talent in this draft. There are good prospects that can become starters but no one that teams are drooling over like a Jamal Adams or Derwin James.  Unless someone decides Isaiah Simmons is a safety in their defense.

I think folks are underrating McKinney.  He's going to be a good one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I don't understand this talk about WR being an immediate need.  We have our 2 outside guys, we have our slot guy, we have our receiving TE, and Singletary is working on his receiving game and we have some young guys to develop.  Where is the need here?  What am I missing?  Is is simply for just a big body guy?  Isn't that Duke's potential role?  Not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process here.

However, DE is a glaring need IMO.

Brown and Beasley are 30 or older this season and on contracts that expire in 2021 or 2022.  Having talent in the pipeline is essential at all positions, particularly WR with injuries.

Right now if (perish the thought) one of the top 3 WR's was injured, their depth at the position is nil.  Foster, D. Williams, and McKenzie are not guys I want logging serious minutes and anyone who is OK with that over-values them.  None of them have distinguished themselves over an entire season. 

The draft is about putting players in your system who at a minimum will be there down the road when UFAs leave.  And the Bills are depending heavily on UFA to start.  Eventually your young guys need to step into those roles.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think you got muddled on '17. They moved down once - from #10 to was it #27? And then up twice for Zay and Dion. They then moved up twice in '18 and twice in '19.

Correct. Down once for Tre and up twice for Zay Jones and Dawkins in the second. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s the best of the bunch and should be able to start right away, and play a lot of snaps due to versatility but to me he’s more Jimmie Ward than Derwin James. Jmo 

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

This is also why some people find them a very fun exercise, because, stranger things have happened than the possibility of Taylor falling to the third.

Not saying it will happen with Taylor, but plenty of very good players slipped down draft boards and went later than anticipated, and vice versa.

I personally can't get enough of them, I was just pointing out the reason some people don't.

I don't want to see us trade up for any player.

This is a draft where you can get First Round talent in the 2nd round and maybe even 3rd round.

Would you rather have Delpit or a stud WR to groom and stud RB to groom under Josh?

I think that's a little more important than safety depth right now.

Edited by Rigotz

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s the best of the bunch and should be able to start right away, and play a lot of snaps due to versatility but to me he’s more Jimmie Ward than Derwin James. Jmo 

He isn't Derwin James but then few people are. He reminds me of Anthony Harris from the Vikings a bit the way he plays. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree. I think he is a really safe pick. He will be a good NFL starting safety for 8-10 years.