Beane Draft Day Aggression - Trade up for Delpit

Mark80

I feel a lot of you guys are severely underestimating how good this guy is.  He would not be trading up for "another db".  He would be getting an elite level prospect for chump change.  This guy is a top 5 talent.  Was going into the season and still is IMO.  If you wouldn't trade a 2 and a 3 for a top 5 talent prospect, well, I don't know what to tell you then.  I watch a lot of college football, watched him in 2017, 2018, and 2019.  He is an absolute stud and a game changing safety (when he is not playing on an injured ankle at least). 

I may have to save this thread and re-visit it with a lot of "i told you so"s in 2 or 3 years.

But, hey, lets make sure we keep our 3rd round draft pick for some guy who will make little to no impact as opposed to moving up a bit for a potential all-pro safety, a position we are going to have to fill in one or two years and one we have no depth at.  Oh, and he can play now in big nickel packages too.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I feel a lot of you guys are severely underestimating how good this guy is.  He would not be trading up for "another db".  He would be getting an elite level prospect for chump change.  This guy is a top 5 talent.  Was going into the season and still is IMO.  If you wouldn't trade a 2 and a 3 for a top 5 talent prospect, well, I don't know what to tell you then.  I watch a lot of college football, watched him in 2017, 2018, and 2019.  He is an absolute stud and a game changing safety (when he is not playing on an injured ankle at least). 

I may have to save this thread and re-visit it with a lot of "i told you so"s in 2 or 3 years.

But, hey, lets make sure we keep our 3rd round draft pick for some guy who will make little to no impact as opposed to moving up a bit for a potential all-pro safety, a position we are going to have to fill in one or two years and one we have no depth at.  Oh, and he can play now in big nickel packages too.

McDermott values tackling too much to trade up for Delpit. He misses a ton of tackles and takes poor angles, this is technique he should already have by now, no time to try to teach fundamental stuff like that in the nfl if you are a first round pick. If he’s really a top 5 talent though, i assume he will be taken in the top half of the draft by another team. 

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

A good WR or a good DE will be there at pick 54. Let the draft come to you. 

Definitely i despise trade ups (for the most part). Why do so many people think a 5th-7th rounder cant make this team. Beane has done a superb job drafting talented players in the late rounds. Then there is the injury bug that strikes in training camp and preseason. We aren't as deep as everyone makes us out to be. If one of our vaunted three top wrs miss significant time we're in last years debacle again. 

I don't think a trade up in round two is necessary.

I think, maybe, they should use the 6th and 7th round picks to try and move up in the 4th round (if they find any trade partners ?).

Cause I really don't think that 6th and 7th rounders are going to make this team this year.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Going into last year Delpit was looking like a top 10 pick. He has pretty good size and physicality. He’s big enough to play the big nickel (which McDermott loves). 

Last year he was nowhere near the player that he was the year before despite him stealing the Thorpe award from Okudah. Delpit played through an injury all year which certainly impacted his play. If you are getting the 2018 version you are getting a potentially great player. If you’re getting the 1019 version, meh. 

so, assume Delpit, McKinney, Chinn and Duggar are available.  Who do you take?  

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Going into last year Delpit was looking like a top 10 pick. He has pretty good size and physicality. He’s big enough to play the big nickel (which McDermott loves). 

Last year he was nowhere near the player that he was the year before despite him stealing the Thorpe award from Okudah. Delpit played through an injury all year which certainly impacted his play. If you are getting the 2018 version you are getting a potentially great player. If you’re getting the 1019 version, meh. 

Agree. I have him in my 1st/2nd borderline category because that is literally the distinction. I have a top 10 grade on his 2018 tape and a mid day 2 grade (ie late 2nd / early 3rd) grade on his 2019 tape. Depends how much you buy the playing hurt thing.

19 hours ago, qwksilver said:

This is why some people dislike mock drafts. This just won't happen.

This is also why some people find them a very fun exercise, because, stranger things have happened than the possibility of Taylor falling to the third.

Not saying it will happen with Taylor, but plenty of very good players slipped down draft boards and went later than anticipated, and vice versa.

Beane already has done his “ trade up” this draft with the Diggs trade..

I will predict he stays put at 54

20 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Edit for confusion:  I'm not saying give up the farm to move back into the first.  I'm saying determine what you are willing to give up for him (maybe 2 and 4, maybe 2 and 3), and start making offers towards the end of the first.  Keep offering the teams on the clock that value until he is picked or someone accepts it.  

They aren’t moving up from   54 into the first round with what you are offering..their  2 and 4 would move them from 54 to 49

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

McKinney is the best safety in the draft. 

16 hours ago, Putin said:

This ^^^^ I also believe there will be quality players available in the 3rd as well , with that said I wouldn’t mind using our 4th , and 5th to maybe move back in to 3rd again !!! 

This is the most likely Bills trade up. They will stay put at #54 and at their pick in round 3. But I wouldn't be totally surprised to see them pop back into the end of round 3 or move up the board within round 4 to target a particular guy. 

My bold prediction remains no trade ups from Beane though. 

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McKinney is the best safety in the draft. 

This is the most likely Bills trade up. They will stay put at #54 and at their pick in round 3. But I wouldn't be totally surprised to see them pop back into the end of round 3 or move up the board within round 4 to target a particular guy. 

My bold prediction remains no trade ups from Beane though. 

That's a weird bold prediction, but in Beane's case it certainly is one.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott values tackling too much to trade up for Delpit. He misses a ton of tackles and takes poor angles, this is technique he should already have by now, no time to try to teach fundamental stuff like that in the nfl if you are a first round pick. If he’s really a top 5 talent though, i assume he will be taken in the top half of the draft by another team. 

I agree that his tackling showed some holes in 2019.  However, when watching him in 2017 and 2018 I didn't see that nearly as much.  It seemed to me that in 2019 (and less so in previous years, but a little) he was too aggressive at times going for the big play, the big hit (which he is capable of).  I think that can be coached somewhat. 

31 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

That's a weird bold prediction, but in Beane's case it certainly is one.

I agree that his tackling showed some holes in 2019.  However, when watching him in 2017 and 2018 I didn't see that nearly as much.  It seemed to me that in 2019 (and less so in previous years, but a little) he was too aggressive at times going for the big play, the big hit (which he is capable of).  I think that can be coached somewhat. 

He hasn’t been able to tackle since HS. 

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think McKinney is definitely the first safety off the board. He won’t be around for us. McKinney was unlikely to be available at 22 IMO. I think he ends up in Dallas.

The other 3 probably go in the same general area. I really haven’t seen a lot of Chinn or Duggar outside of highlights and the Sr. Bowl. With that being said, I’ll say Delpit for the Bills because I’m assuming he will have the smallest adjustment period. He’s a cerebral player from a National Championship Team in the SEC. That’s the smallest possible jump to the NFL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Grant Delpit is a top 10 talent.  He battled through some injuries this season which seems to be impacting his stock big time.  He is now showing as late 1st / early 2nd in most projections.  I still think he is a stud and is getting severely underrated draft stock wise.  If I'm Beane and I see him sliding to the end of the first, I am heavily considering trading up for him.  I know, I know, we have hyde, we have poyer....but for how long?  Delpit is a game changing S IMO who makes plays down the field and can also play in the box and make plays too.  I love his flexibility and play making ability.  Plus, by the accounts I have seen at least, he is a tremendous locker room presence.

I think we are in the position to draft best player available over needs at this point, a huge advantage in building and maintaining a team.  If I can package my 2 and a mid-rounder for him I'm doing it all day long.  

Edit for confusion:  I'm not saying give up the farm to move back into the first.  I'm saying determine what you are willing to give up for him (maybe 2 and 4, maybe 2 and 3), and start making offers towards the end of the first.  Keep offering the teams on the clock that value until he is picked or someone accepts it.  No, I do not want them trading a first next year or anything crazy like that.  Thanks.

Considering the Bills like DBs who can tackle, I think that makes Delpit more than unlikely 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Considering the Bills like DBs who can tackle, I think that makes Delpit more than unlikely 

The premise of this being that the Bills would trade assets to move up for him - I agree with you. If he was there at 54 and they Bills saw value there, I won’t quibble, though I personally wouldn’t take him there either given the talent in this draft and the immediate ROI with him or any new safety likely only getting on the field in sub packages for the next 2 years, barring injury

22 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Everybody's entitled to an opinion.

They are...and some of them are plain wacky.  The last time I remember someone trading up in a substantial move it was AJ Smith for Eric Weddle more than 10 years ago.   

18 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

A good WR or a good DE will be there at pick 54. Let the draft come to you. 

McBeane has been the polar opposite of people like Nix who believed in this strategy.  And they moved up once in '17 then down twice that year.  There were the moves to trade up for Allen and Edmunds.  Then last year, moving up for Ford and later Knox.  

The point is, if someone can help them now and later it's a move to consider moving up.  And both WR and DE are areas they could use a player for today and future seasons.