Beane Draft Day Aggression - Trade up for Delpit

Mark80

I don't think there is any chance of Beane trading back into the first for any player this draft the team with what he has done is in pretty good shape & although Beane is a wheeler dealer there would have to be generational game changing player there like a Mack for him to use the type of draft capital it would cost to get back into round 1 & IMHO i don't see it happening !! 

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Way to take it to a completely illogical extreme.  Nice job Bill.  You can pick any draft position and any player position and cherry pick a busted pick.

I'm sorry if my post was a bit short.

I like Delpit as a player and agree with you that injuries slowed him down last season.

That said Mark, I have my own wounds if you will from the Bills wasting picks on the secondary. Watching Whaley stupidly trade away draft picks (and hurt the team while doing so) also left a scar. Taking a DB instead of Mahomes or Watson was also painful, and it doesn't matter how good Tre White is. Who won the Super Bowl? Who did not? We already traded away a #1. Now what? Should we give up our #1 in 2021? I really don't think so.

Trades such as this have proven to be a losing strategy.

Jmo, Peace.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This isn't directly toward Delpit, but why would we even want a Safety in the 2nd round when we have 2 great Safeties now??? Do we need 3?

Sorry, I just haven't understood the fascination for an early round safety.

2 hours ago, DJB said:

I have multiple issues with your idea.

1. The cost to move up from 54 into the 1st is going to be very costly in draft capital . Which means the other holes we have won't be filled via the draft this year. 

2. Why are we moving up for a safety when it isn't a need whatsoever? Hyde and Poyer are both playing at a high level and both signed beyond this year.

Don't get stuck on the late first aspect of the idea.  Say Beane values him as worth his #2 and #3 pick (as an example only).  He starts offering that to teams towards end of first.  If they pass and dont take him, then offer the same thing for the next pick until someone accepts it or he is taken.  Eventually it will get into the second round I'm sure in this scenario as most likely no one would accept that deal in the 1st.  Its about determining what they think he is worth and offering that, not offering what they think the pick they are trading up for is worth necessarily.  Hope that makes sense.

I'm moving up because players age quickly.  Just because we have 2 decent safeties now, doesn't mean we will re-sign them when they run out.  It gives us ability to let either of them walk after their deals.  Plus, he is plug and play right now in a bigger nickel set up so he still has value immediately.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm sorry if my post was a bit short.

I like Delpit as a player and agree with you that injuries slowed him down last season.

That said Mark, I have my own wounds if you will from the Bills wasting picks on the secondary. Watching Whaley stupidly trade away draft picks (and hurt the team while doing so) also left a scar. Taking a DB instead of Mahomes or Watson was also painful, and it doesn't matter how good Tre White is. Who won the Super Bowl? Who did not? We already traded away a #1. Now what? She we give up our #1 in 2021? I really don't think so.

Trades such as this are a proven losing strategy.

Jmo, Peace.

I wouldn't want to be offering a 1st next year or anything like that.  Its creating a value for him (as I said in another reply) and seeing if you can get a buyer as he drops.  So, if they think he is worth a 2 and a 4 start offering that to teams towards late first.  Sure, they will not accept most likely, but then you move on to the next team picking until either he is picked, or your offer (at your value of him) is accepted.  We offer up value of the player in our minds, not necessarily the perceived value of the pick.  To me, a 2 and a 4 for him is well worth it if you can get a team to accept that before he is taken.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Stay put at # 54 a very good player will drop to is there. I’m confident about that. 

This ^^^^ I also believe there will be quality players available in the 3rd as well , with that said I wouldn’t mind using our 4th , and 5th to maybe move back in to 3rd again !!! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Don't get stuck on the late first aspect of the idea.  Say Beane values him as worth his #2 and #3 pick (as an example only).  He starts offering that to teams towards end of first.  If they pass and dont take him, then offer the same thing for the next pick until someone accepts it or he is taken.  Eventually it will get into the second round I'm sure in this scenario as most likely no one would accept that deal in the 1st.  Its about determining what they think he is worth and offering that, not offering what they think the pick they are trading up for is worth necessarily.  Hope that makes sense.

I'm moving up because players age quickly.  Just because we have 2 decent safeties now, doesn't mean we will re-sign them when they run out.  It gives us ability to let either of them walk after their deals.  Plus, he is plug and play right now in a bigger nickel set up so he still has value immediately.

I wouldn't want to be offering a 1st next year or anything like that.  Its creating a value for him (as I said in another reply) and seeing if you can get a buyer as he drops.  So, if they think he is worth a 2 and a 4 start offering that to teams towards late first.  Sure, they will not accept most likely, but then you move on to the next team picking until either he is picked, or your offer (at your value of him) is accepted.  We offer up value of the player in our minds, not necessarily the perceived value of the pick.  To me, a 2 and a 4 for him is well worth it if you can get a team to accept that before he is taken.

I understand the grade aspect of it but to me it's not a premium position that Beane has mentioned before. He has said Tackle, DE, QB, WR are of premium position. 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

I understand the grade aspect of it but to me it's not a premium position that Beane has mentioned before. He has said Tackle, DE, QB, WR are of premium position. 

This team is fairly set at all or most starting positions. What this team needs is youth and depth at certain positions (Secondary, DE, WR, RB, and LB) the team has the ability to address a good chunk of these needs with their existing picks. If you trade up to add a more premium talent you are losing the ability to build depth and get younger on your roster. Given that the team only has 6 picks and needs to get younger at several positions it is better that they stand pat and just target quantity over a big eggs in one basket trade up. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Grant Delpit is a top 10 talent.  He battled through some injuries this season which seems to be impacting his stock big time.  He is now showing as late 1st / early 2nd in most projections.  I still think he is a stud and is getting severely underrated draft stock wise.  If I'm Beane and I see him sliding to the end of the first, I am heavily considering trading up for him.  I know, I know, we have hyde, we have poyer....but for how long?  Delpit is a game changing S IMO who makes plays down the field and can also play in the box and make plays too.  I love his flexibility and play making ability.  Plus, by the accounts I have seen at least, he is a tremendous locker room presence.

I think we are in the position to draft best player available over needs at this point, a huge advantage in building and maintaining a team.  If I can package my 2 and a mid-rounder for him I'm doing it all day long.  

Edit for confusion:  I'm not saying give up the farm to move back into the first.  I'm saying determine what you are willing to give up for him (maybe 2 and 4, maybe 2 and 3), and start making offers towards the end of the first.  Keep offering the teams on the clock that value until he is picked or someone accepts it.  No, I do not want them trading a first next year or anything crazy like that.  Thanks.

Beane already is down a 4th in 2021 and he is not trading a 2021 day 2 pick and i don't see him bundling this years 2nd with a 3rd or 4th for anyone.

If Beane does any big move up from pick #54 it would only happen if he trades a player currently on the team that he feels will not

make it into the 2021 season.  It would be a Star, Murphy, Kroft type guy and if he could pull that off he would be a witch!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane already is down a 4th in 2021 and he is not trading a 2021 day 2 pick and i don't see him bundling this years 2nd with a 3rd or 4th for anyone.

If Beane does any big move up from pick #54 it would only happen if he trades a player currently on the team that he feels will not

make it into the 2021 season.  It would be a Star, Murphy, Kroft type guy and if he could pull that off he would be a witch!

I do feel like Beane might trade an O-line player for a 2021 mid-round pick if there is a camp or late round pick that performs better than one of the vets. A Spencer Long or Ty type might fetch a 4thor 5thround pick from an O-line thirsty team. 

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I do feel like Beane might trade an O-line player for a 2021 mid-round pick if there is a camp or late round pick that performs better than one of the vets. A Spencer Long or Ty type might fetch a 4thor 5thround pick from an O-line thirsty team. 

I can see that happening too.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

This team is fairly set at all or most starting positions. What this team needs is youth and depth at certain positions (Secondary, DE, WR, RB, and LB) the team has the ability to address a good chunk of these needs with their existing picks. If you trade up to add a more premium talent you are losing the ability to build depth and get younger on your roster. Given that the team only has 6 picks and needs to get younger at several positions it is better that they stand pat and just target quantity over a big eggs in one basket trade up. 

Agree with most of this. Adding youth is also important because no team can afford to pay everyone when contracts come up. Sometimes the best way to prepare for the future is to stack good players behind good players. Yes, we all ready have two very good safeties, but will Buffalo be able to pay both their worth when their contracts are up? We have some very good WRs and some decent RBs.  The same would apply there too. Or DE.....we have two of the best at disrupting the QB though they are getting a bit long in the tooth. Need some youth behind them. Need a plan for the future.

Don't really agree with the trade up scenarios though.  Maybe after the 2nd round but not before.

I'll be miles beyond disappointed if Beane does anything this stupid. He still needs to prove he can draft good players in the top 2 rounds and this would just be another misfire. We've been a wild card team because of great coaching and an easy schedule, but Beane still has much to prove.

16 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Agree with most of this. Adding youth is also important because no team can afford to pay everyone when contracts come up. Sometimes the best way to prepare for the future is to stack good players behind good players. Yes, we all ready have two very good safeties, but will Buffalo be able to pay both their worth when their contracts are up? We have some very good WRs and some decent RBs.  The same would apply there too. Or DE.....we have two of the best at disrupting the QB though they are getting a bit long in the tooth. Need some youth behind them. Need a plan for the future.

Don't really agree with the trade up scenarios though.  Maybe after the 2nd round but not before.

I could see a minor trade up a few spots in round 3 or 4 but overall I think McBeane just lets the draft come to them before they make a trade up. Get me a DE, WR and RB (in that order) and add another depth piece to the secondary or LB corps in round 5 and I think this team is set up nicely. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I could see a minor trade up a few spots in round 3 or 4 but overall I think McBeane just lets the draft come to them before they make a trade up. Get me a DE, WR and RB (in that order) and add another depth piece to the secondary or LB corps in round 5 and I think this team is set up nicely. 

Agree, except for the bolded.  The order is going to be dictated by how the draft falls and who they like. I do believe that DE is a big concern because there is no youth there, but if one of the top WRs, RB, or even CBs fall to our 1st pick, you have to take them.

36 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Agree, except for the bolded.  The order is going to be dictated by how the draft falls and who they like. I do believe that DE is a big concern because there is no youth there, but if one of the top WRs, RB, or even CBs fall to our 1st pick, you have to take them.

I agree value is a concern you can't reach for need. However that is my hierarchy of needs where I think they should have their needs highest on their radar. I hope the draft shakes out that way.