Beane Draft Day Aggression - Trade up for Delpit

Mark80

Grant Delpit is a top 10 talent.  He battled through some injuries this season which seems to be impacting his stock big time.  He is now showing as late 1st / early 2nd in most projections.  I still think he is a stud and is getting severely underrated draft stock wise.  If I'm Beane and I see him sliding to the end of the first, I am heavily considering trading up for him.  I know, I know, we have hyde, we have poyer....but for how long?  Delpit is a game changing S IMO who makes plays down the field and can also play in the box and make plays too.  I love his flexibility and play making ability.  Plus, by the accounts I have seen at least, he is a tremendous locker room presence.

I think we are in the position to draft best player available over needs at this point, a huge advantage in building and maintaining a team.  If I can package my 2 and a mid-rounder for him I'm doing it all day long.  

Edit for confusion:  I'm not saying give up the farm to move back into the first.  I'm saying determine what you are willing to give up for him (maybe 2 and 4, maybe 2 and 3), and start making offers towards the end of the first.  Keep offering the teams on the clock that value until he is picked or someone accepts it.  No, I do not want them trading a first next year or anything crazy like that.  Thanks.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2

How far up do you think #54 and a mid rounder will get us?  To get back into the first round it would cost us 54 and next year’s first.  Even 54 and 86 would only get us to 38 per the usual trade chart.  I highly doubt we’d do any better than that in this draft as early round two is a pretty sweet spot. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Buf

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

He fell to our pick in one of my draft network mock simulations. 

it’s possible he’s there for our pick, but I would trade up if he gets into the 40s

Also, yesterday Shenault fell to us in round 2 and Jonathan Taylor was there for us in the 3rd In the same mock. 

This is why some people dislike mock drafts. This just won't happen.

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I've had a feeling that BB was going to go secondary in the 2nd round.  If he can trade up for this guy, great.  I'd rather get a premium talent and fewer overall picks than camp fodder

I do agree with getting a premium talent and fewer overall picks than camp fodder, but Delpit seems to be a guy whose play has been sliding on a stacked D.  He seems more "ball-hawk" than "ball-hawk" and tackler.  I'd rather trade-up for McKinney, Chinn or Dugger.  Although, I'd be interested in LSU fan @Kirby Jackson opinion on Delpit.  

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

You wanna trade up from round 2 into round 1 for a safety? 

giphy.gif

I'd trade higher in the 2nd for a safety, or McKinney in the bottom 1st.  

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I do agree with getting a premium talent and fewer overall picks than camp fodder, but Delpit seems to be a guy whose play has been sliding on a stacked D.  He seems more "ball-hawk" than "ball-hawk" and tackler.  I'd rather trade-up for McKinney, Chinn or Dugger.  Although, I'd be interested in LSU fan @Kirby Jackson opinion on Delpit.  

Again, he played with an ankle issue all last year.  And despite that, his tape still was pretty good.  And if you don't think he's a tackler then you haven't really looked into him at all or watched him play.  I saw him line up on the line next to the DE, shed blocks, and tackle running backs at the line or even behind it a number a times.  His tape from 2017 and especially 2018 is outstanding.  Thats why he was projected as a top 5 pick early in this season.  He had no flaws whatsoever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

agreed. But who would’ve thought we could draft Oliver and Metcalf last year without trading up at all?

I thought we had a shot at Oliver. I don't think many people had Metcalf sliding that far. I get it, I'd love to see him at 54 let alone 86....Some one will slide there's always someone.

20 minutes ago, DJB said:

You wanna trade up from round 2 into round 1 for a safety? 

giphy.gif

I start looking at my options in late first, yes.  I know what I want to pay and I keep trying (not going beyond that) if he keeps falling until someone picks him or takes my offer.

Please tell me what positions we are allowed to consider in the first round oh wise one.  I sure as hell would take Derwin James in the first round and Delpit was seen as a better college performer and draft prospect until his ankle injury.

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Grant Delpit is a top 10 talent.  He battled through some injuries this season which seems to be impacting his stock big time.  He is now showing as late 1st / early 2nd in most projections.  I still think he is a stud and is getting severely underrated draft stock wise.  If I'm Beane and I see him sliding to the end of the first, I am heavily considering trading up for him.  I know, I know, we have hyde, we have poyer....but for how long?  Delpit is a game changing S IMO who makes plays down the field and can also play in the box and make plays too.  I love his flexibility and play making ability.  Plus, by the accounts I have seen at least, he is a tremendous locker room presence.

I think we are in the position to draft best player available over needs at this point, a huge advantage in building and maintaining a team.  If I can package my 2 and a mid-rounder for him I'm doing it all day long.  

Maybe we can trade up to #8. That sounds like a superb idea!!!!!

I mean look at all those playoff and Super Bowl Appearances we had from drafting Whitner at 8!!!

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, RyanC883 said:

Going into last year Delpit was looking like a top 10 pick. He has pretty good size and physicality. He’s big enough to play the big nickel (which McDermott loves). 

Last year he was nowhere near the player that he was the year before despite him stealing the Thorpe award from Okudah. Delpit played through an injury all year which certainly impacted his play. If you are getting the 2018 version you are getting a potentially great player. If you’re getting the 2019 version, meh. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe we can trade up to #8. That sounds like a superb idea!!!!!

I mean look at all those playoff and Super Bowl Appearances we had from drafting Whitner at 8!!!

Way to take it to a completely illogical extreme.  Nice job Bill.  You can pick any draft position and any player position and cherry pick a busted pick.

Edited by Mark80

I am not in favor of trading up for a safety and giving up additional picks in rounds 3 or 4. 

I think we can really get help our offense by staying put.  Shenault or another top talent could fall to us in round 2, and there definitely will be a quality RB for us in round 2 AND/OR round 3.  There still could be a strong OT prospect in rounds 2/3 or a strong OG prospect in round 3/4.   Since our line is pretty good now and just starting to gel with a second full year together we could develop these players slowly,  the way winning teams do. 

If we do go defense in rounds 2/3 I think we need to look at an infusion of youth at OLB/DE (edge), or if a CB falls then that could be the pick. 

I think a Safety can be addressed in later rounds, like 5/6. 

Thankfully, Beane gets to make these decision and not me, but it is fun to play GM at this time of year. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I start looking at my options in late first, yes.  I know what I want to pay and I keep trying (not going beyond that) if he keeps falling until someone picks him or takes my offer.

Please tell me what positions we are allowed to consider in the first round oh wise one.  I sure as hell would take Derwin James in the first round and Delpit was seen as a better college performer and draft prospect until his ankle injury.

I have multiple issues with your idea.

1. The cost to move up from 54 into the 1st is going to be very costly in draft capital . Which means the other holes we have won't be filled via the draft this year. 

2. Why are we moving up for a safety when it isn't a need whatsoever? Hyde and Poyer are both playing at a high level and both signed beyond this year.

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 3