Prospect discussion: Antonio Gibson

NewEra

Am I the only guy here who thinks he’s the perfect addition to this team and would pull the trigger on him at 54?  6’1 225+ 4.39 with the ability to break every play for a TD.  Super strong lower body that has cutback ability and the wheels to get to top speed in a hurry.

played Wr in college.  Decent route runner.  Showed solid hands.  44 catches in college.  10 of them for Td.  33 rushes last season.....for 369 and 4 tds.  11.2 ypc.

we need dangerous players.  Players that are a threat to score every time they get the ball.  Gibson is that guy and he can do it playing RB, WR and as a returner.  

whats not to like?  Pass pro because he’s never done it and he only played out of the power.

Who here has taken a serious look at him and what do you think?

seems like most mocks have him rd 3-5 but i think he’s going 2-3.  Too much big play ability 

edit:  on a side note.  I would now be ok with drafting Clyde Edwards-Helaire.  I was against the thought previously, but after watching a bunch of game tape on him today (after only watch highlights prior).  He makes BIG plays and I’m not sure anyone In this draft has his explosion through the LOS (maybe Taylor).  His catching ability really sets him apart.  I don’t think he falls to 54 though 

Edited by NewEra

I like him, but even round 3 is kinda high for me. My big concern is that he doesn’t truly have a position. He’s got value as a back, and value as a receiver. That versatility is nice, but there’s been a lot of guys who are unknowns/tweeners who struggle to put it together.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I like him, but even round 3 is kinda high for me. My big concern is that he doesn’t truly have a position. He’s got value as a back, and value as a receiver. That versatility is nice, but there’s been a lot of guys who are unknowns/tweeners who struggle to put it together.

Yeah....I’m not sure how being used as a RB AND a WR can be used against someone.  He has something that every team wants and needs.  Big play ability.  Size and speed.  The ability to run out of the backfield AND split out wide AND play the slot.  Sign me up.  

maybe I’m missing something regarding his route running and hands?  While he’s not Jerry jeudy running routes, he doesn’t look terrible.  Just doesn’t have an advanced route tree at this point.  Which I guess is why he’s not viewed as a 2nd rd pick. 

Before a team spends even a late 3rd or even 4th round pick on him, they need to figure out why his college coaches only game him 77 total touches from the LOS in 2 full seasons.  If he is truly the dynamic play maker that his athletic ability suggests, wouldn't his coaches found ways to get the ball into his hands far more often?  

For contrast, Wisconsin gave Jonathan Taylor 346 combined rushes and catches just this past season.

Maybe there is a very good reason that Gibson's coaches didn't use him much more often, but I think a team has to understand the answer before investing in him.

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah....I’m not sure how being used as a RB AND a WR can be used against someone.  He has something that every team wants and needs.  Big play ability.  Size and speed.  The ability to run out of the backfield AND split out wide AND play the slot.  Sign me up.  

maybe I’m missing something regarding his route running and hands?  While he’s not Jerry jeudy running routes, he doesn’t look terrible.  Just doesn’t have an advanced route tree at this point.  Which I guess is why he’s not viewed as a 2nd rd pick. 

The argument against, whether it’s accurate or not, is that he’s a jack of all trades, master of none type. We’ve seen that lately with Cordelle Patterson, Paris Campbell, and others. Guys without a position can struggle to be consistent impact players. 

I think he’d be great for us as guy we move around, but I’m not sure I’d like him before the 3rd.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This is pretty much where I’m at too. My feelings might change if we bring in a legitimate RB to play with Singletary first, but there’s no way IMO that we can head into the year with Yeldon and Gibson as his backups.

Obviously an extremely explosive threat once you get the ball in his hands. He doesn’t really know how to play any position right now though. Obviously role for him to replace McKenzie early on if we wanted to train him as a WR though. 

He’s a 5th round guy for me with our current roster construction. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Before a team spends even a late 3rd or even 4th round pick on him, they need to figure out why his college coaches only game him 77 total touches from the LOS in 2 full seasons.  If he is truly the dynamic play maker that his athletic ability suggests, wouldn't his coaches found ways to get the ball into his hands far more often?  

For contrast, Wisconsin gave Jonathan Taylor 346 combined rushes and catches just this past season.

Maybe there is a very good reason that Gibson's coaches didn't use him much more often, but I think a team has to understand the answer before investing in him.

He’s similar to Tony Pollard last year, both look awesome when they get the ball but they got very few touches at Memphis. I feel like Antonio Gibson is getting more interest this year so we’d probably have to use a 3rd on him which is too much, would prefer to grab him in round 4. 

I think this guy is an interesting player, but like others have said, I think being a slash type player can sometimes hurt a guy. He certainty has the size and the speed to be a receiver, so why are they thinking running back when he is so unrefined there? He is one of the more interesting offensive players in the draft. 

I will say this, to me he looks like a faster version of TJ Yeldon, without the running back experience. To me, this guy is already on our team. I’m not sure that this is the type of guy this regime will target. I think they like guys like Singletary who had to carry the load for his team and have experience carrying the football. 

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed, just doesn’t make sense. I mean it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t draft him but would need a deep dive into why this was the case

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Obviously an extremely explosive threat once you get the ball in his hands. He doesn’t really know how to play any position right now though.

I remember the same quandry with Braxton Miller. The NFL is seldom the place where you get the time to re-invent yourself.

14 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I remember the same quandry with Braxton Miller. The NFL is seldom the place where you get the time to re-invent yourself.

If Gibson can produce as a returnman then he's an ideal depth guy that can develop more on the bench. He's the type of guy I could see the Patriots going after since need help at WR and guys like White/Burkhead contracts ending after this season. 

I think a similar player with more upside is Lynn Bowden.  He was poised to have a breakout season on the biletnikoff and hornung watchlist, injuries to the top 2 QBs on the Kentucky roster forced him to play QB.

His stock dropped but he mostly played as a running back while throwing occasionally.  From what I've seen I believe he's going to come in and make a huge impact.  Hopefully for the Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If Gibson can produce as a returnman then he's an ideal depth guy that can develop more on the bench. He's the type of guy I could see the Patriots going after since need help at WR and guys like White/Burkhead contracts ending after this season. 

He does clearly seem to be decent as a kick returner. With his size/speed, maybe he can be used as a gunner as well early on. Any added value he can attach to himself in the short term is going to be huge in terms of buying him time on an active roster.

To me, the same argument could be made against drafting Chase Claypool at 54.  Yes, he was a WR at Notre Dame and put up good numbers (at least his senior season), but he has a lot of work to do to become a polished NFL WR, IMO.  Is he a physical freak?  Yes.  But he is not a good route runner yet, tends to struggle against press coverage (despite his physicality), and doesn’t do much after the catch.  Sounds more like a TE to me.  Very similar to a Darren Waller.

That said, I think we are finally in a position with the state of our roster to draft players like Gibson and Claypool.  With the exception of RB, IMO, we have pretty good depth at all positions.  We can afford to develop these players as long as they can play well on special teams.  I trust Beane has the good judgment to take calculated risks with these types of guys.

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

I think a similar player with more upside is Lynn Bowden.  He was poised to have a breakout season on the biletnikoff and hornung watchlist, injuries to the top 2 QBs on the Kentucky roster forced him to play QB.

His stock dropped but he mostly played as a running back while throwing occasionally.  From what I've seen I believe he's going to come in and make a huge impact.  Hopefully for the Bills

I would say the opposite. Bowden to me is a lower ceiling version of Gibson. I'm not particularly interested in either. Gibson is a 4th-5th round guy to me. I don't think I'd really draft Bowden at all; I just don't see it with him. Equally raw but less explosive with the ball in his hands.