I think this is legit - NIH covid study

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will start pruning this (nothing personal, but this is a thread about the NIH study).

Seasonal flu makes people super-sick and has the same symptoms, but a much lower incidence of hospitalizations.  

And this season's flu was a bear and a half for those who got it.

• Like (+1) 1

My friend sent me an article about them looking for volunteers. She’s had juvenile diabetes since she was, well, young. “I’ve pricked my finger for decades, you can do it once.” She works in DC as a lobbyist searching for grants for new imaging (MRI, CT, etc) technology. Big on public health. I wish I had her energy.

So I sent an email saying I’d volunteer: clinicalstudiesunit@nih.gov

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 2:41 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So today I received an email with a link and request to take a survey to determine if I'm eligible to participate.  Anyone else heard anything?

image.thumb.png.493ac176222c9118fe6611f53f4d9462.png

Got the same request.  I filled out my info

Just received my email also. 

Looking to get picked so I know if I had it earlier in this fiasco. I have a daughter with an autoimmune disease and she got the same sickness I did. This would take a huge weight off my shoulders on what would happen if we/ she do get it. 

12 hours ago, jburt2625 said:

Just received my email also. 

Looking to get picked so I know if I had it earlier in this fiasco. I have a daughter with an autoimmune disease and she got the same sickness I did. This would take a huge weight off my shoulders on what would happen if we/ she do get it. 

If it's important to you to know, call your physician's office and do some google searching; Quest and other medical labs may have covid-19 antibody testing available.  Some require a test order from a physician, others will allow you to schedule an appointment without (but you may have to pay out of pocket)

On 4/13/2020 at 9:30 AM, Augie said:

If not for the timing, I’d bet I had it. Supposedly too soon, but on 12/20 we drove to Florida with a young lady (who had just returned from working in NYC) who coughed the whole way. By 12/25 I was so ill my wife had to drive the whole way home. I was forced to sit in the backseat....and I didn’t care! Merry Christmas! I had a dry cough that just would NOT stop. I coughed so hard my stomach and back felt like I’d been beaten. My whole torso hurt. I’ve never had anything like that! Never took my temp, but felt like a fever. Totally exhausted, I coughed into February.

Around that time I started with this crazy little rash, but it would pop up, then go away. It didn’t hurt, and I was too sick to worry about it back then. I finally feel better, but this strange rash lingers a little. For kicks this morning I did a little search, and up comes an article that reports 20.5% of covid19 cases present rashes. Hmmm.

It could have been just a run of the mill respiratory ailment. I would certainly NOT operate under the assumption that I’d had it (and then of course my wife), but I do have to wonder - if they have documented cases as early as January, who’s to say it wasn’t around but undocumented a couple weeks earlier than realized? I wouldn’t do anything differently, I suppose, but I’d love to be tested to know. Whatever it was, it was NASTY. 

I've read some articles where they believe Covid  was in France and NYC in December of 2019. Some people in France where they died and the cause was listed as pnemonia, they re-tested the tissue samples and it was positive for Covid.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I've read some articles where they believe Covid  was in France and NYC in December of 2019. Some people in France where they died and the cause was listed as pnemonia, they re-tested the tissue samples and it was positive for Covid.

The article I'm aware of identified one man, an Algerian fisherman living in France, who died in late Dec 2019 in France (no travel history to China or known contacts).

It's not several, which would be more convincing....it's one, out of 14 patient samples tested.  But they did retest with another kit to confirm the positive.

It's linked in the OTW covid-19 thread but here it is again: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920301643

It's the lack of travel/known contacts from China that implies that covid-19 must have been undergoing community spread in France at the time, but one sample is limited.

I'm not aware of the evidence about NYC in December and would welcome that link, if you could be so kind.

There's a chap in Oregon who did some antibody testing on his own using a Chinese Elisa kit and equipment in his friends' lab (not a recommended procedure for handling blood, but I applaud the initiative) and found a clear positive signal from someone who was ill in December, and who were hosting a Chinese student at the time.
https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.199/26c.881.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Community-Serum-Testing-For-Past-COVID-19-Infection.pdf

Again, one sample is kind of a limited case....fluky things happen

But when one starts to have one sample here, one there, one in a third location it does start to look more persuasive