If the NFL started from scratch today...

mathja

8 hours ago, The Fiend said:

You really think Allen, Murray, Darnold, Mayfield, and Minshew would all be taken before Goff?

BTW, SI recently ranked Minshew dead last:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/10/ranking-ever-team-quarterback-situation

Wow, that was a poorly done article.  There seemed to be no methodology to it at all.  It’s supposed to be about the overarching QB situation - QB, contract, backups, coaches and supporting players - but the writer sporadically used and ignored those criteria to create his rankings.  FWIW Minshew only came in last because of his supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Logic said:

We should do this!

@Virgil The people have spoken!!!!

How do we determine draft order? I say years in the league so oldest teams get 1st dibs.

Sign me up for Browns or Raiders!

4 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Fun list I can't see CMC or any back or WR going anytime until late 1st rd though. My position rankings FOR MY 1ST PICK ONLY (Priority would change after my 1st pick):

Qb

Edge

Lt

Cb

OL/DT

WR

RB

How much do you want to bet???

41 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

@Virgil The people have spoken!!!!

How do we determine draft order?

In light of their stellar achievements and creative interpretation of rules and equipment requirements over the past few years, picks 1 - 25 have been allocated to the New England Patriots.

:doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Logic said:

My mock top 10 picks if the NFL started from scratch tomorrow (I took age into account, because these teams are starting from scratch, so old dudes seem like bad picks):

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Russell Wilson (a bit old at 31, but figure we can get a good decade out of him)
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Carson Wentz
6. Kyler Murray
7. Aaron Donald
8. Myles Garrett

9. Nick Bosa
10. Christian McCaffrey

Note: This is clearly just for fun because I'm bored out of my mind in quarantine. Would be interesting to see how many players got picked before the first non-QB came off the board. For what it's worth, I do not believe Josh Allen would be among the first 32 picks.

2 pass rushers before a corner or WR... its sort of similar to how the NFL draft prioritizes.  I feel like all-pro Offensive linemen will be underrated in this type of exercise vs. a mock draft.  Obviously QBs go early on in this - which creates a need to overdraft mediocre ones or old ones.  But you might just be better off building a beast oline and WRs and then just throw Foles or something out there.

I've done these in madden though, they really only work for 1 season since by rule they always shut the salary cap off.

• Like (+1) 1

Not saying I have this kind of time on my hands, but you could do a fantasy redraft of players currently in the league, and then do a full on Madden simulation and see who's team wins... The draft would literally need to be 54 rounds though. 

Edited by Motorin'

44 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I might still take Wilson.  Won a super bowl.  And honestly seems to be getting better with like less talent around him, kinda Aaron Rodgers like.  Also never missed a game, and only missed the playoffs once in 2017 with a very injured team.  

I'd go Russ too. I would go Watson #3 though. 

13 hours ago, Logic said:

My mock top 10 picks if the NFL started from scratch tomorrow (I took age into account, because these teams are starting from scratch, so old dudes seem like bad picks):

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Russell Wilson (a bit old at 31, but figure we can get a good decade out of him)
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Carson Wentz
6. Kyler Murray
7. Aaron Donald
8. Myles Garrett

9. Nick Bosa
10. Christian McCaffrey

Note: This is clearly just for fun because I'm bored out of my mind in quarantine. Would be interesting to see how many players got picked before the first non-QB came off the board. For what it's worth, I do not believe Josh Allen would be among the first 32 picks.

I can not see any scenario where a RB would go top 10, especially since top end RBs will easily be there in rounds 2 through 5 without question as teams focus on QB and the trenches first.  

'I have Josh Allen going top 10 without question IMO.  Not every GM needs to believe in him, just one on the board in the top 10 does and right now I would bet good money that the majority of the league sees Allen as a rising star who is a fiery and competitive leader, more than say a limited QB who is a passing liability.  

My top 10 predictions would be:

1. Patrick Mahomes - Duh
  2. Russell Wilson - I think he edges out Watson given he likely still has 5 to 7 top end years left and he is the better player right now
  3. Deshaun Watson - I think he edges Lamar out given he's more of a QB and more coaches know how to build an offense for him rather than Lamar
  4. Lamar Jackson - He may not go this high, would depend on the team picking given he needs an offense specifically built for him, but given his MVP season I am still putting him here
  5. Nick Bosa - Best young defensive player in the NFL.  He goes before Donald IMO as I think Bosa makes a bigger impact on win total than Donald does.  A total mistake IMO to not take a QB, but some GM is going to be enamored with Bosa and the impact he made as a rookie and take a guy on his way to being a top 5 overall player in the NFL.  
  6. Josh Allen - Has one of the highest and brightest ceilings, if not the top ceiling, of just about any young QB not named Mahomes.  Youth and his significant improvements over his first 2 seasons and still being a dual threat makes him go early.
  7. Kyler Murray - Lived up to the hype and has a lot of upside, I think GM's here go for the upside over a more proven veteran.  
  8. Dak Prescott - I am not the biggest Dak guy, but I think looking at whats on the boards and his personal stats, GM's will look his way over other veterans as he is younger than most of them.
  9. Carson Wentz - Not a big believer in him due to health issues, but teams are going to look for a QB early early early with all the runs on them and he has the talent, even though the body is not to be trusted.  A team rolls the dice here that they can keep him healthier and this team I would look to invest early and heavy on OL after drafting Wentz.
  10. Aaron Donald - Best DT in the NFL goes with less appealing QB options still on the board.  IMO anyone not taking a QB in the top 10 is headed in a bad direction as the pickings by round 2 are going to be very slim, especially if this is a snake draft.  But some GM is going to want the elite player in Donald rather than say someone from the Tier 2 pool (or even what some wold rank as tier 3) of QB's.  

NOTE:  I did the list above based on how I think a top 10 would go with 10 GM's drafting.  

If I was going to do this draft personally, I would draft Josh Allen at #4, and if not there certainly at #5.  I am sure I will get a lot of "homer biased" comments for that, but I truly believe Josh Allen has a brighter career future than Lamar.  I really like Lamar, but honestly, I have seen gimmick systems like Baltimore ran last year work very well early but lack sustainability once the rest of the league catches on with defending it.  And I truly believe the combo of the Niners and Bills games last year in back to back weeks gave the NFL the blueprint to slow down that offense.  And I am not sold that Lamar can be consistent enough in the pocket once teams neutralize the run all the time offense.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can not see any scenario where a RB would go top 10, especially since top end RBs will easily be there in rounds 2 through 5 without question as teams focus on QB and the trenches first.  

'I have Josh Allen going top 10 without question IMO.  Not every GM needs to believe in him, just one on the board in the top 10 does and right now I would bet good money that the majority of the league sees Allen as a rising star who is a fiery and competitive leader, more than say a limited QB who is a passing liability.  

My top 10 predictions would be:

1. Patrick Mahomes - Duh
  2. Russell Wilson - I think he edges out Watson given he likely still has 5 to 7 top end years left and he is the better player right now
  3. Deshaun Watson - I think he edges Lamar out given he's more of a QB and more coaches know how to build an offense for him rather than Lamar
  4. Lamar Jackson - He may not go this high, would depend on the team picking given he needs an offense specifically built for him, but given his MVP season I am still putting him here
  5. Nick Bosa - Best young defensive player in the NFL.  He goes before Donald IMO as I think Bosa makes a bigger impact on win total than Donald does.  A total mistake IMO to not take a QB, but some GM is going to be enamored with Bosa and the impact he made as a rookie and take a guy on his way to being a top 5 overall player in the NFL.  
  6. Josh Allen - Has one of the highest and brightest ceilings, if not the top ceiling, of just about any young QB not named Mahomes.  Youth and his significant improvements over his first 2 seasons and still being a dual threat makes him go early.
  7. Kyler Murray - Lived up to the hype and has a lot of upside, I think GM's here go for the upside over a more proven veteran.  
  8. Dak Prescott - I am not the biggest Dak guy, but I think looking at whats on the boards and his personal stats, GM's will look his way over other veterans as he is younger than most of them.
  9. Carson Wentz - Not a big believer in him due to health issues, but teams are going to look for a QB early early early with all the runs on them and he has the talent, even though the body is not to be trusted.  A team rolls the dice here that they can keep him healthier and this team I would look to invest early and heavy on OL after drafting Wentz.
  10. Aaron Donald - Best DT in the NFL goes with less appealing QB options still on the board.  IMO anyone not taking a QB in the top 10 is headed in a bad direction as the pickings by round 2 are going to be very slim, especially if this is a snake draft.  But some GM is going to want the elite player in Donald rather than say someone from the Tier 2 pool (or even what some wold rank as tier 3) of QB's.  

NOTE:  I did the list above based on how I think a top 10 would go with 10 GM's drafting.  

If I was going to do this draft personally, I would draft Josh Allen at #4, and if not there certainly at #5.  I am sure I will get a lot of "homer biased" comments for that, but I truly believe Josh Allen has a brighter career future than Lamar.  I really like Lamar, but honestly, I have seen gimmick systems like Baltimore ran last year work very well early but lack sustainability once the rest of the league catches on with defending it.  And I truly believe the combo of the Niners and Bills games last year in back to back weeks gave the NFL the blueprint to slow down that offense.  And I am not sold that Lamar can be consistent enough in the pocket once teams neutralize the run all the time offense.  

Yeah, no way Josh goes before Dak or Wentz. Like no way. And AD would go before Bosa.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think Allen would go top 10. It’s an interesting thought exercise... 

A spin off question... who would be the first non-QB taken?

He would go in the top 10 rounds, for sure.

18 hours ago, Logic said:

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Deshaun Watson
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Carson Wentz
6. Kyler Murray
7. Aaron Donald
8. Myles Garrett

9. Nick Bosa
10. Christian McCaffrey

Too bad we never has the chance to draft Mahomes or Watson !:oops:

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY