If the NFL started from scratch today...

mathja

If every team’s roster had zero players and a draft was held, with all current players as well as incoming draft eligible players, what would the first round look like? 

(Age is a factor. It’s not a 1 year redraft like a fantasy league). 

Would Josh Allen go in the first round? I think he would.

22 minutes ago, mathja said:

If every team’s roster had zero players and a draft was held, with all current players as well as incoming draft eligible players, what would the first round look like? 

(Age is a factor. It’s not a 1 year redraft like a fantasy league). 

Would Josh Allen go in the first round? I think he would.

Yes. So would Murray, Darnold, Baker, Wilson, Watson, Mahomes etc.

Every young QB that’s shown promise would be one of the first 32 picks taken.

• Like (+1) 2

Oh yeah. Top  5-8 QB taken, imo.

He has the leadership, swagger , heart , all the mental intangibles to be a true franchise QB . All the things you can't coach!

There'd be some offensive minded HCs drooling to get Allen . 

He was so Raw coming out , his ceiling is ridiculously high

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Oh yeah. Top  5-8 QB taken, imo.

He has the leadership, swagger , heart , all the mental intangibles to be a true franchise QB . All the things you can't coach!

There'd be some offensive minded HCs drooling to get Allen . 

He was so Raw coming out , his ceiling is ridiculously high

I mean, top 8 isn’t really all that impressive when you consider there are only a handful of good youngish QB’s out there. Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Ryan, Rivers, are all in their career twilights. 

Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Lamar, Dak, Wentz, Allen, Murray, Darnold, Mayfield, Minshew would likely be the order, IMO. That just leaves the old dudes above and guys like Ryan Tannehill and Jared Goff.

• Haha (+1) 1

Minshew. Uggh. I’d freak if my team had the 11th pick and took Minshew. Burrow and Tua would be in the mix and then some left tackles and defensive ends. 
Corner is a premium position too. Maybe Tre white goes before pick 32.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, mathja said:

Minshew. Uggh. I’d freak if my team had the 11th pick and took Minshew. Burrow and Tua would be in the mix and then some left tackles and defensive ends. 
Corner is a premium position too. Maybe Tre white goes before pick 32.

Oh that was just the order of QB’s taken, not players. I think there would be a lot of players in between them.

47 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean, top 8 isn’t really all that impressive when you consider there are only a handful of good youngish QB’s out there. Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Ryan, Rivers, are all in their career twilights. 

Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Lamar, Dak, Wentz, Allen, Murray, Darnold, Mayfield, Minshew would likely be the order, IMO. That just leaves the old dudes above and guys like Ryan Tannehill and Jared Goff.

You really think Allen, Murray, Darnold, Mayfield, and Minshew would all be taken before Goff?

BTW, SI recently ranked Minshew dead last:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/10/ranking-ever-team-quarterback-situation

Edited by The Fiend

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think Allen would go top 10. It’s an interesting thought exercise... 

A spin off question... who would be the first non-QB taken?

Hmmm...

I’d guess it would be someone who affects the quarterback. Myles Garrett or Nick Bosa or Aaron Donald.

I kind of want to do this hypothetical exercise now. Not sure if we’d get enough people to make it happen, though.

Doubtful Allen would go in the 1st round. I can name off about 20 players under the age of 25 that would probably go before him. That's not including guys in the trenches that I'm not that familiar with, nor guys in this years draft. And that's also not including guys like Russel Wilson and JJ Watt.  I would think more of like a late 2nd round to 4th, which is still pretty high considering there'd be at least 24 rounds (if you'd want to draft for all positions and kickers (not including other ST positions)). 

Edited by Raleigh • √eff
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

There is ZERO chance Allen would go ahead of Murray.

40 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think Allen would go top 10. It’s an interesting thought exercise... 

A spin off question... who would be the first non-QB taken?

Donald then Bosa

• Like (+1) 1

My mock top 10 picks if the NFL started from scratch tomorrow (I took age into account, because these teams are starting from scratch, so old dudes seem like bad picks):

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Russell Wilson (a bit old at 31, but figure we can get a good decade out of him)
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Carson Wentz
6. Kyler Murray
7. Aaron Donald
8. Myles Garrett

9. Nick Bosa
10. Christian McCaffrey

Note: This is clearly just for fun because I'm bored out of my mind in quarantine. Would be interesting to see how many players got picked before the first non-QB came off the board. For what it's worth, I do not believe Josh Allen would be among the first 32 picks.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Fiend said:

You really think Allen, Murray, Darnold, Mayfield, and Minshew would all be taken before Goff?

BTW, SI recently ranked Minshew dead last:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/10/ranking-ever-team-quarterback-situation

I don't. I think Goff goes right around where Wentz goes. And I'd take Dak before either of them. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

My mock top 10 picks if the NFL started from scratch tomorrow (I took age into account, because these teams are starting from scratch, so old dudes seem like bad picks):

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Russell Wilson (a bit old at 31, but figure we can get a good decade out of him)
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Carson Wentz
6. Kyler Murray
7. Aaron Donald
8. Myles Garrett

9. Nick Bosa
10. Christian McCaffrey

Note: This is clearly just for fun because I'm bored out of my mind in quarantine. Would be interesting to see how many players got picked before the first non-QB came off the board. For what it's worth, I do not believe Josh Allen would be among the first 32 picks.

Fun list I can't see CMC or any back or WR going anytime until late 1st rd though. My position rankings FOR MY 1ST PICK ONLY (Priority would change after my 1st pick):

Qb

Edge

Lt

Cb

OL/DT

WR

RB

• Like (+1) 1

Doing a draft from zero really wouldn’t tell you much about the QBs except who is proven and who is going with upside.  The better question is: What kind of contract would you give each player, particularly Allen?

That is a particularly good question since it’s one that’ll need answered in the real world soon.  

• Like (+1) 1