Alternate NFL Helmet Designs

Nuncha

20 hours ago, Logic said:

Can anyone tell me what the story is with the helmet below? I swear I've seen it in action in actual Bills games from either the late 70s or early 80s, but it wasn't worn often or for very long. Am I taking crazy pills?

image.png.ca8e13dcbb2c0aee49738ffe791335cb.png

This was a sad attempt at the "retro" Bills helmet back in the early 90s when the league started doing them.  Of course we had the red background back then and they didn't bother to change the background to white so they stuck a white standing buffalo logo on the red helmet.  I remember thinking how bad/lame this looked back in the day.  Other teams had exact retro replicas and we had this POS....I think they wore it for one game...maybe two at the most.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

This was a sad attempt at the "retro" Bills helmet back in the early 90s when the league started doing them.  Of course we had the red background back then and they didn't bother to change the background to white so they stuck a white standing buffalo logo on the red helmet.  I remember thinking how bad/lame this looked back in the day.  Other teams had exact retro replicas and we had this POS....

Agree 100%.   I thought to myself what a waste of time when I saw that. 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I vote Yes, you do!

I hated that look, which unfortunately was a nationally televised game. Then, one of the Football Trading Card company did a complete series on this game/uni.

I get the no helmet color change rule in effect at the time, but everything short of a closeup looks like pigeons and geese were flying overhead for a couple days straight..

That one wasn't due to the 'no 2nd helmet's rule.  That 1 was due to Levy not wanting to make the players break in 2nd helmets.

Other teams went to alternate helmets that year - e.g. Houston went with the powder blues when they played Buffalo in the Bill's road throwback game that year.  The Bills could've, they just didn't want to.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2020 at 9:05 PM, Azucho98 said:

not a fan of 3 and 4, especially 3 looks like the giants.

Theses would be cool

94370d8ec90cd255b3739bb6d7a104b7--footba

ff_3824561-58af4312b4c5563fbb41_full.jpg

On 4/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, The Firebaugh Kid said:

1994 I believe. 

I dig the charcoal/black bills helmet. Lemme see if I can find it. 

This guy here rules. 

8056013.jpg

Of course....youd need totally different uniforms as well. 

love the black, got just the uniform for ya.

61ItelqSPSL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not going to make it here but I have always wanted to see our white helmet, standing buffalo but it’s blue instead of red, blue face mask and no helmet stripe. And standing blue buffalo is outlined in black like the way the lions sharpened theirs up 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus