Brandon Beane discusses the Steelers’ idea for a 10-round draft this year due to UDFA process

Hmmm ? 

I think that's  an excellent  idea certainly  for this year especially.

Now moving forward  I'm not sure id keep it. I think here are some benefits  a UDFA would have over being a 8-10 round pick. 

1. Sign with a team with a perceived  shallow depth chart at their position thus likely increasing the odds of sticking .

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 4

The NFL would be silly not to do this for 2020. It makes PERFECT sense, for the reasons given. They could even monetize it by televising those three extra rounds.

That being said, the NFL is stubborn and likely won’t do this. It’s a shame.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

The NFL would be silly not to do this for 2020. It makes PERFECT sense, for the reasons given. They could even monetize it by televising those three extra rounds.

That being said, the NFL is stubborn and likely won’t do this. It’s a shame.

Logic should prevail. Goodell is not Logic.

I think the reduction from the old drafts when there were many rounds of picks (I remember 17) to 7 was done at the request of the players through the CBA.  Letting players negotiate with the teams that really want them is good for them.

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I think the reduction from the old drafts when there were many rounds of picks (I remember 17) to 7 was done at the request of the players through the CBA.  Letting players negotiate with the teams that really want them is good for them.

It was and in any other year, they wouldn’t discuss this. It’s a unique situation but they probably won’t change it.

Dunno, it seems like a pretty minor adjustment needed by NFL teams and agents.  So it takes a little while longer to hash out UDFAs and teams will have to be more organized.  So what?  My 14 yo daughter and her friends could handle the real time information sharing from their homes.  She’s doing that every day right now.  At a time where some Americans are having real hardships this seems like a pretty minor inconvenience.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was and in any other year, they wouldn’t discuss this. It’s a unique situation but they probably won’t change it.

All things considered, the players aren't the ones who will be hurt by this. They will still be coveted, it's the teams that may be behind the eight ball trying to lock in their guys. In turn I couldnt see the players being to upset about keeping it at seven regardless of the situation.

If nothing else, I think this year, we absolutely will have head scratching pics, and more so in the later rounds where guys who likely would have been UDFAs will be drafted.

It worked back in the day due to the circumstances of this year i would think that it was a consideration any way there are a lot of really good players that have come late in the draft back when it was 22 rounds or what ever it was & we get a ton of UDFA but given what's going on this year they should consider expanding it a bit .