Any chance Trevon Diggs falls to the Bills?

Lurker

Joe B. did an analysis of Beane's draft tendencies (posted elsewhere) which suggests that Beane tends to target positions he's addressed already in FA with short-term veteran contracts.  Cornerback certainly fits that description (Gaines, Norman).  Would not be surprised at all if Beane takes a corner in Round 2.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Joe B. did an analysis of Beane's draft tendencies (posted elsewhere) which suggests that Beane tends to target positions he's addressed already in FA with short-term veteran contracts.  Cornerback certainly fits that description (Gaines, Norman).  Would not be surprised at all if Beane takes a corner in Round 2.

The value of the corner class is either Okudah or the second round. The depth of the class I am less enamoured with so if the Bills want a corner out of this draft then round 2 is the time to pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The value of the corner class is either Okudah or the second round. The depth of the class I am less enamoured with so if the Bills want a corner out of this draft then round 2 is the time to pull the trigger.

I'm reading that some teams have Henderson ranked equal to, or ahead of, Okudah.

• Like (+1) 1

There's not a lot of consensus about where the second tier of CBs are going to go.  Diggs goes in round one according to some, and in the third for a few.  I've seen some mocks where Minnesota takes him with the pick they got from the Stephon Diggs trade.  Most mocks  put him somewhere in the late first or second round.  There's a slight chance he drops to the Bills, but a better chance he's long gone.

On 4/14/2020 at 2:08 AM, Chandler#81 said:

hmmmm..?

well, it’s not like you to outright lie just to defend your feeble football facinora, so I’ll assume you slept through all the Bills games last season. The Bills had 44 sacks in ‘19, which is hauntingly close to the “45ish” I offered to help you with the 1st time. Where they come from -DL, LB, DB- is of little to concern in the modern game, and the Bills brass -& most fans- know this. Further, while I wasn’t able to quickly find last years League rankings for most batted down passes (because idc enough), Buffalo led the League in this statistic in ‘18 and certainly didn’t do anything notably different in ‘19.

So I’ll try this one more time. 45ish sacks & 20ish passes batted down per season, coupled with stout enough Run D to force many 3rd & longs is a very good thing and will have any team touting these measurables at or near the best in the League. That’s 65 pass plays (read: 4 per game) that didn’t get past the LOS. Lawson & J.Phillips were Jags/players *who benefited from ‘the Process’* and allowed to seek employment elsewhere and easily replaceable on the cheap.

Our defensive rankings the past couple years? Did you happen to check these out as I encouraged you to?

No. of course not.

Carry on.

?

I think the reality Your quarantine life and your normal life being pretty much the same is setting in.  You seem angry.  I actually hate putting out bad information and was shocked that apparently it was the stats from 2018 and I was wrong.

but if you’re none “feeble” ? knowledge is punter is a bigger need than pass rusher, I’m more than happy to keep my feeble knowledge.  Rex Ryan approves of your football philosophy.  And like Rex, you will never man up the many times you are wrong.  

On 4/14/2020 at 4:46 AM, GunnerBill said:

Well maybe Brandon Beane is right. Personally, on this one, I think he is wrong. The stats can be read both ways. While Addison's sack numbers were stable last year his pressures were markedly down. Now maybe he continues to make hay on limited opportunities but I am sceptical. Hughes's production dropped significantly in 2019 from 2018. Relying on two 30 somethings is a bad idea IMO. 

And I was not advocating for retaining Shaq or Jordan Phillips. I just don't think what we have there is good enough unless as you allude to - Johnson really breaks out.  

And I really do think it could be the difference in truly competing for a Championship. So often in those big games it is a successful pass rush that turns the tide. I am thinking Von Miller against the Pats and the Panthers a few years back or Flowers on Ryan in the Atlanta Superbowl loss. Our defense is very, very good. But I dob't think it lessens the need for improved edge play. 

Disagree. A good punter is way more important than a pass rusher.  Plus, after really tough challenges with qbs like Duck, retiring Eli, and Brandon Allen, scrubs like Mahomes and Wilson will be cake.  Blitzes will totally confuse them.  

On 4/14/2020 at 5:06 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Ok, but finding a Super Bowl altering pass rusher for us in this Draft is as unlikely as finding Tom Brady in the 6th. All I’m saying is I hope the Bills stick with their board when our selection is up as there is no glaring need on the team currently. No reaching for a player (DE or otherwise) per pick. 

They've shown to be too good at this to change now. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG And this is definitely from 2019! ?

leading sacker wasn’t drafted.  Hunter was a 3rd pick.  Z Smith 4th rounder.  So 3 of the top 6 guys were drafted after the Pick the Bills have now.  But I’d rather have a punter than those guys.  I want the days of Brian Moorman being our best player back.  Real difference maker!

Seems in about half of the mock drafts diggs is available at 54. He does seem to be a good zone CB and could be a fit. Duggar also seems to be available about 50% of the time too. Interestingly in every mock I’ve seen a really good RB seems to fall to 54? Now, does  Beane draft a RB at 54 or does he wait on one knowing there’s a big drop off in CBs after round 2??

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG And this is definitely from 2019! ?

leading sacker wasn’t drafted.  Hunter was a 3rd pick.  Z Smith 4th rounder.  So 3 of the top 6 guys were drafted after the Pick the Bills have now.  But I’d rather have a punter than those guys.  I want the days of Brian Moorman being our best player back.  Real difference maker!

In fairness I don't think Chandler is suggesting we draft a punter in the 2nd round.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness I don't think Chandler is suggesting we draft a punter in the 2nd round.

It was more the suggestion of pass rusher not being a big need while suggesting punter is.  Even if we were had a great d line, pass rusher is always something you can add.  But on a team with not an elite one and 2 older guys as your best, pass rusher is a huge need.  This defense could be elite if they could get a double digit guy.  Relying on blitzes will get you best against good QBs, which we didn’t face a lot last year.  And a good to great pass rush makes your secondary better. 

• Like (+1) 1